Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States DC, Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:22 AM   #1
The Chad
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
The Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 Need 3 Inches...

Ok so i recently recieved my Blastpipes form Logan @ Aspec. These are BEAUTIFULL!! ( burnt tip left staggered . My current problem is that my Cat-back i have on now is 2 1/4in and the exhaust shop that made that for me said they don't have a 3inch mandrel pipe bender.

So i did some searching around and found a few sites that sell full lengths of Stainless piping for cheaper than that shop anyways, but again, no bender .

Soooo, i suppose i have two questions, 1. Does anyone know of a shop with a pipe bender this size in VA??? or 2. Am i sacrificing Thaaat much performance by doing "crush" bends with a torch and my manliness ???

I have seen some crappy 3 inch Ebay cat-backs as well, of which i was contemplating buying and cutting the muffler off and welding the Blastpipes on, just use them for their pre-bent pipes.

Thanks in Advance!!

***Car is a 95' S14, still N/A till summer time. The car is just a weekend/fun car, so i don't care about it being loud as hell **
The Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
The Chad
Zilvia Addict

The Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really nice
Haha i just noticed i posted this thread in the Mid-atlantic threads and not in Tech-Talk. Oh well i guess. But, Mods feel free to move it, Thanks!!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
SW20Racer
Nissanaholic!

SW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfection
fill the pipe with sand, cap the ends then heat it where you need the bends and put all that "manliness" to work and you're set
SW20Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
The Chad
Zilvia Addict

Good info, sand? I suppose to hold the heat? Thanks bud.
And who neg repped me for this thread
Old 01-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
SW20Racer
Nissanaholic!

SW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfection
the sand in the pipe will help the pipe keep its roundness when you heat and bend it since the sand cant escape (make sure the pipe is FULL and both ends are capped good) the metal stretches instead of folding in on itself like when you crush bend it.

edit: double check your rep...
Old 01-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
The Chad
Zilvia Addict

SW20Racer: I take it you've done this a few times?? I'm excite to try it out. Heading out to Lowes to purchase the sand today. Do you know any good distributors for the piping. My roomate is the one that told me abt one site. I'd like it to be stainless, but treated steel is fine.
--On that note, i wonder if an exhaust shop would carry 3 inch? and then i could cut and bend it myself.

---I greatly appreciate the "crash course" in pipe bending without crushing the pipe !!!!!! And thanks for the Rep, i get all down when i know i don't deserve it .
Old 01-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
SW20Racer
Nissanaholic!

i havent seen an exhaust shop without 3" pipe in a LONG time so they should have it. if rust is prevalent in your area treated steel wouldnt be my first choice. stainless shouldnt be that expensive. i have done some sand bending before, nothing to worry about really, on a scale of 1-5 difficulty is probably below 1.

a quick step-by-step for anyone who searches:

1. measure underneath the car including the bends
2.buy your pipe
3.place the pipe under the car (kind of like a mock up) and mark where your bends should be with a sharpie
4.cap one end
5.fill with sand (completely full)
6.cap other end (i should mention, use flat caps, domed caps will give the sand a chance to move and could result in a crush bend)
7. place in a vice (or if you can find a curved surface that meets your needs, that would be ideal) right before where the bend should be, torch that shit and bend it.
8.repeat step 7 as necessary
Old 01-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
The Chad
Zilvia Addict

I dont remeber if i thanked you for your info, so, THANK YOU!!