Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #271
jfandem
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
jfandem will become famous soon enoughjfandem will become famous soon enoughjfandem will become famous soon enoughjfandem will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had 275/35/18 on my s14 rear, with Work Equip 18x10.5 +16

Got the fenders rolled and pulled, seemed to clear ok, then lowered it on stances and about -3.12 camber, and it looked great, but would rub really bad on bumps or going around a turn even slowly. It didnt rub the fender roll, it rubbed above that, like where its undercoated and stuff. I dont know if lifting the ride height would help, but then the camber would come back out positive and maybe rub worse. I ended up getting 255/35s today, and it doesnt rub now, but does not fill up the wheel well near as good, and i can put my finger between wheel and tire. Doesnt look right to me really. Also, its a tiny bit lower in the back now since the 35 sidewall on the 255 is shorter than the 275 one. I wanted to make the 275s fit, and think I could , but everyone says use a stretched tire. How do you guys run a tire so close to the edge of the fender pull and where you can barely fit a credit card in there, yet not rub when you hit bumps and stuff? Any ideas? Do i need to change height or camber now with the 255s? Front has 245s and looks perfect, also rubs on full turn a bit though.
jfandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #272
a_ahmed
BANNED

a_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfection
no one here says run a stretched tire, this is the anti stretch thread of them all :P
a_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #273
jfandem
Leaky Injector

jfandem will become famous soon enoughjfandem will become famous soon enoughjfandem will become famous soon enoughjfandem will become famous soon enough
Meant on another forum/other suggestions lol
jfandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #274
driftyour40
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
driftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfandem View Post
Meant on another forum/other suggestions lol
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=129865

while I am glad to see this thread back I was hoping to see something cool.
driftyour40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #275
Kinematics
Leaky Injector

Kinematics is making a name for him/her selfKinematics is making a name for him/her self
Here is mine:

YOUR CHASSIS: s13

WHEELS: Enkei RPF1 17x9.5f 17x10r +18

TIRES: 255/40/17f 275/40/17r

MISC DETAILS: stock engine.

PURPOSE OF CAR: My driving is primarily in the mountains, on/offramps, etc.. some autocross and road racing later this year.

PICTURES:

I am working to bring it lower. There have been many clearance issues in the past and probably many more to come. I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk in this thread about clearance tips.

I am going to add more rear camber and drop it. it hardly has any negative camber at all. I just pulled my fenders and put the wheels on, didn't really mess with any settings yet in the back, besides toe.

I have about 1mm clearance right here when the wheel is turning.

and here also, but I will probably remove or relocate the window washer fluid crap.

comes close here too.

Any tips anyone? I have bonked out a whole lot of rubbing areas in my wheel wells with a sledgehammer, relocated the harnesses and bonked in that lip at the top and back of the front wheel wells. No hammering or anything else was necessary in the rear, except the fender pull.

Last edited by Kinematics; 04-03-2008 at 01:30 PM..
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #276
300hp owen
Zilvia Junkie

300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future
wow man those fat RPF1s look GREAT on your S13.

definitely.

for more clearance on the front bumper outer/lower edges you can make a simple undertray that helpd push those corners out about an inch and that would solve your problem. even a mini-subframe out of tubing would do the trick to push it out if you dont want to make an entire undertray.

jFandem, we are not the guys running a business card of clearance. the guys dong that are running 235's on a 10" wheel with -4 camber and tip-toeing around town to prevent rubbing, then once they do rub they have to re-roll the fenders out farther and then buy lower offset wheels to continue the process over and over and over until they have a -15 wheel and 50mm overfenders and then they crash their car because the rubber band tire fitment finally went bad.

you need to drive the car hard with the tire setup you want, then hammer out the rubbing areas or change the ride height, etc to make it work. thats how you do it. experience, trial and error along with some hands on mod-work and you'll be all set.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #277
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRussellPants View Post

are you serious?

you aren't the first person to run a V8 in a 240SX. big power isn't why the 996 has that tire setup either.

you're gonna get 400ftlbs of torque, you're gonna shit yourself the first time you drive it, and its gonna get parked.

Put 275/40/17 on the front and 305/30/18 on the back. the car will probably understeer like fuck but you'll say its uncontrollable oversteer because throttle control is a mystery.

just because you have alot of power doesn't mean you need a small front tire.

it means you need to learn how to drive instead of stock KA hamfist "this is the momentum way around the track hurrr" *foot to floor into understeer*
Thank you very much for your insight. I am now enlightened much more than before.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #278
godzillarb
Zilvia Junkie

godzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to all
More of my car... 17x10 +12, 315/35/17

Old 04-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #279
KevinOBrien1987

KevinOBrien1987 is a well-known jackass
s14 1997 s14

CHASSIS: s14

WHEELS: Nissan

TIRES: Nexen 245/45/ZR18

PURPOSE OF CAR: Getting to work/amature stock driftin'/attempting to outrun the cops

PICTURES:

KevinOBrien1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #280
KevinOBrien1987

KevinOBrien1987 is a well-known jackass
I forgot to add I had to put JIC coilover front suspension in the car WITH wheel spacers to get these to fit on the car only to find out i have to remove the fender wells to get the rubbing to stop. that is how close these wheels fit to the pinch welds on the inside of the front fender... with width of the plastic fender liners. If the suspension was adjusted 1CM too high or too low it would rub and rip tiny rubber strips outta the tire.
KevinOBrien1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #281
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
Can somebody give me input on wheels? I'd like to run a 225/40-18 front and 295/30-18 rear stagger. This is similar to a 996 turbo setup.

I know the stagger is a little extreme but I really need it to put down the torque. My V8 crate motor is putting down well over 400 ft-lbs of torque right now out of the box, and that's before I get the cam, heads, and supercharger I'm planning to. I'd like to get around 700 hp.

If anything, I'd like to go up a little bit in the rear but availability gets a little scarce once you get above 305+ tread. The only good thing about it is I can get used tires from Porsche guys pretty easily. They swap out their tires at least once a month for no reason at all.

For the 225/40-18, would you guys recommend 8.5" or 9" wheels? I'm definitely running spacers so clearance is not a problem. I'd just like to get the tread to sit as squarely as possible so they don't roll on hard cornering. I looked and it's a little hard to find 18x9 wheels.

For the 295/30-18, I think I'd like an 11" wheel, but would it be better with a 10.5" wheel? My rear end practically weighs nothing and I like to run the rear suspension a tad soft any way.

Right now I'm still shopping so anything is subject to change, but any useful comments would be appreciated.
Forget the 700hp supercharged monster idea if you wanna run at the track. I really don't care what tires you run in the rear you simply cannot hook up that much power and torque on an s-chasis car. I would say like a 285fr/315r staggered set-up like aceinhole's is what you would want. To control the oversteer created by all that power and torque you will simply need to learn how to actually drive the thing. Re-engineering the rear suspension to eliminate anti-squat and fine tuning the camber and toe curves will REALLY help put the power down, but you really need to make a computer model of your suspension and go through it in a suspension analyzer program to do that. On top of that you need to find a fabricator capable enough to build a subframe to the specs designed in said program. Realistically though you should buy the SPL solid subframe bushings with the tilt spacers and eliminate as much of the anti-squat as possible and shorten your trac arms. Both of these mods will improve rear traction off the corner. I have heard that you can re-locate the LCA mounting points on the subframe to eliminate the anti-squat, but I wonder what it does to the rest of the suspension angles. I was going to do that on my car, but I am wary because I don't know what it will do to the camber and toe curves. You can also swap in a s-14 or s-15 subframe as they have less anti-squat designed into them than the s-13. The bottom line though is that the stagger you want to run is a bad idea and you will most likely end up with TONS of understeer anytime you are not on the throttle. You need to set the suspension up and learn to drive around the power rather than staggering your tires to the max.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #282
lpb

lpb is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by godzillarb View Post
More of my car... 17x10 +12, 315/35/17

Mate! thats mental! more pics please!
lpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #283
godzillarb
Zilvia Junkie

godzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to all
Look on the first page of this thread in the middle.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #284
lpb

lpb is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Look on the first page of this thread in the middle.

ARRRR!! but i want more!! lol :P Need heaps and heaps more photos in this thread!!

Bugger the wheel fitment whore thread!!
lpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #285
godzillarb
Zilvia Junkie

I'm in another state because of school for the moment, but I'll have some new ones in the summer. Here's another one to hold you over

Nitto 555R 315/35/17 tire.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #286
RedSVTFlareside
Leaky Injector

RedSVTFlareside is a splendid one to beholdRedSVTFlareside is a splendid one to beholdRedSVTFlareside is a splendid one to beholdRedSVTFlareside is a splendid one to beholdRedSVTFlareside is a splendid one to beholdRedSVTFlareside is a splendid one to beholdRedSVTFlareside is a splendid one to beholdRedSVTFlareside is a splendid one to beholdRedSVTFlareside is a splendid one to beholdRedSVTFlareside is a splendid one to beholdRedSVTFlareside is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to RedSVTFlareside Send a message via MSN to RedSVTFlareside
Ordered my 275/40-17's and 315/35-17's today. I upgraded my BBS E26 GT2 wheels from 17x9.5 and 17x10 to 17x10 and 17x12. Can't wait! Pics will be up after I get the goods.

Last edited by RedSVTFlareside; 04-07-2008 at 08:29 PM..
RedSVTFlareside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #287
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSVTFlareside View Post
Ordered my 275/40-17's and 315/30-17's today. I upgraded my BBS E26 GT2 wheels from 17x9.5 and 17x10 to 17x10 and 17x12. Can't wait! Pics will be up after I get the goods.
275/40/17 for the front? Have fun rubbing on everything.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #288
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
Can somebody give me input on wheels? I'd like to run a 225/40-18 front and 295/30-18 rear stagger. This is similar to a 996 turbo setup.
Your car isn't rear-engined. Your car doesn't have a 36/64 f/r weight distribution. That stagger is retahded. You want as much grip as possible to be able to fix your screw-ups, and if you overcook corners or come in blindingly fast, you'll overheat 225s in no time.

10s or 10.5s up front with 285/30, 11+ out back with a minimum of 315.

You'll have traction problems for a while. You'll overcook corners, and you'll spin coming out of them for a while.

If you're any good at all, however, you'll learn how to drive the car and since it's a V8 with nice tractability, you should be able to drive it pretty damn quickly.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #289
Gumballf355
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Gumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Gumballf355
Or monster truckking...
Gumballf355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #290
Kinematics
Leaky Injector

Kinematics is making a name for him/her selfKinematics is making a name for him/her self

Just picture whoring a bit. It's hard to play with my car when it keeps dumping snow all over.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:07 AM   #291
a_ahmed
BANNED

a_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybert View Post
275/40/17 for the front? Have fun rubbing on everything.
Obviously you're new to this thread, welcome.

275/40/17 is not a problem on s14s, it is a bit of a problem due to the tire being a lil on the tall side for an s13 however, but with some work can be managed. 285/30/18 and 295/30/18 would be a better call than that due to tire height, the widest tire in this thread has been none other than a 295/30/18 on an s13 on an 18x11, but anyways :P Not that anyone really needs that much rubber, but it worked for j-rho. 275/40/17 is kind of standard, and well 285/30/18 has been a proven thing with aceinthehole on his s14, i am aiming for that on my s13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSVTFlareside View Post
Ordered my 275/40-17's and 315/30-17's today. I upgraded my BBS E26 GT2 wheels from 17x9.5 and 17x10 to 17x10 and 17x12. Can't wait! Pics will be up after I get the goods.
Can't wait to see it im so excited hehe

Quote:
I'm in another state because of school for the moment, but I'll have some new ones in the summer. Here's another one to hold you over

Those nittos look narrower than whatever you had in the first pic. The first pic is pure sex.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:18 AM   #292
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

Location: VA.. And for those that keep PMing me asking what kit I have, it's Origin Stream.
Trader Rating: (3)
upSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp owen View Post
jFandem, we are not the guys running a business card of clearance. the guys dong that are running 235's on a 10" wheel with -4 camber and tip-toeing around town to prevent rubbing, then once they do rub they have to re-roll the fenders out farther and then buy lower offset wheels to continue the process over and over and over until they have a -15 wheel and 50mm overfenders and then they crash their car because the rubber band tire fitment finally went bad.

That's got to be the :ghey:est thing I've read all week.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #293
godzillarb
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ahmed View Post
Those nittos look narrower than whatever you had in the first pic. The first pic is pure sex.
Nittos are known to run a little narrow, but I'm pretty sure it's just the angle that makes the tires look bigger in the first picture and the fact that they had low pressure in them. The Nittos hook a hell of a lot better though
Old 04-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #294
a_ahmed
BANNED

Yea? well I still find the first pic sexier hehe.

It looks way fatter, its just so awesome lol
Old 04-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #295
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

Location: VA.. And for those that keep PMing me asking what kit I have, it's Origin Stream.
Trader Rating: (3)
upSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ahmed View Post
Yea? well I still find the first pic sexier hehe.

It looks way fatter, its just so awesome lol
The Nitto is a DR, so it has big flat tread blocks. The other tire has multiple little grooves in it, and since it's a wide tire, there are more of them than you normally see, so that, in turn, makes it look wider that something with only a few grooves and bigger flatter tread block.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:44 AM   #296
a_ahmed
BANNED

Yeah you're definetely right on that as it can give an illusion of being even wider, although I still think it is slightly wider as mentioned that the nitto is a usually narrower tire (I didn't know that either)
Old 04-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #297
godzillarb
Zilvia Junkie

Found some more with the old tires:

The wheels would fit better if I took all the camber out, but I'll have to buy some more suspension parts to do that. Stock camber FTL!

What's really funny is if I'm cruising on the road and come up on someone, especially if it's a muscle car, they start messing with me until I get in front of them. As soon as they see the tires, they back off. Such a shame.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:05 PM   #298
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Quote:

thats a NASTY fuckin tire man. Tons of drag guys use them over in "jdm tyte land".

+rep for an awesome tire selection
Old 04-05-2008, 10:14 PM   #299
PITCH
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
PITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Found some more with the old tires:

The wheels would fit better if I took all the camber out, but I'll have to buy some more suspension parts to do that. Stock camber FTL!

What's really funny is if I'm cruising on the road and come up on someone, especially if it's a muscle car, they start messing with me until I get in front of them. As soon as they see the tires, they back off. Such a shame.

Drool.. molded chargespeed overs.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #300
300hp owen
Zilvia Junkie

300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future
Quote:
rofl... intimidation!!!!!!!!