Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
MortsAccord

Trader Rating: (0)
MortsAccord is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
UR underdrive 240sx pulley on 94 Altima GXE?

A friend of mine has a 1994 altima GXE (KA24DE) 5spd MT. Hes been looking for the discontinued Unorthodox Racing Underdrive crank pulley. Since being discontinued he has been unable to find it anywhere and has wondered if its possible to use the 240sx pulley in its place. I did some quick referencing yesterday and found that they do use the same belt, or at least 1 of the same belts.

Getting to brass tax ... here is my question. Is the under driven crank pulley that is made for the 240SX compatible with the Altima? If this answer is "No its not." I would greatly appreciate WHY its not compatible. Everyone says "its not" that hes asked about, but no one has been able to come out with a reason as to why.

The only thing I think hes going to be able to do with it is get in contact with UR and have one made, which may require a "group buy" of sorts.

I was thinking that maybe the pulley would fit... but the altima uses a serpentine belt configuration(doesnt it?)... since they do utilize at least 1 of the same belts. At the cost that he will undergo with this pulley nonsense he could easily get a clutch and flywheel for his car, or even newer lightweight rims, which would be much more of a benifit than a simple pulley.

PS: PLEASE don't get started on how they use harmonic dampers etc. Thats not the nature of this thread. If you want to read about taht BS topic check here: http://www.grapeaperacing.com/tech/dampers.pdf for some REAL information. (they got some great tech articles too.)
MortsAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I don't see why not. Source an OE replacement pulley from a parts house, cross reference it to other applications, see what they say. If the OE pulley works, anything else will too.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortsAccord View Post
PS: PLEASE don't get started on how they use harmonic dampers etc. Thats not the nature of this thread. If you want to read about taht BS topic check here: http://www.grapeaperacing.com/tech/dampers.pdf for some REAL information. (they got some great tech articles too.)
well, it is a bit of a fact that the factory pulleys do absorb vibration and that the billet pulleys lack that ability. not to mention they underdrive the AC and virtually everything else, which sucks for any daily driven car.

being someone whos had a UR pulley on my KA, it didnt help that POS of a motor become any less shitty than it was. the motor was just as slow, with or without that useless hunk of an aluminum paperweight.

-m
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
MortsAccord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
well, it is a bit of a fact that the factory pulleys do absorb vibration and that the billet pulleys lack that ability. not to mention they underdrive the AC and virtually everything else, which sucks for any daily driven car.

being someone whos had a UR pulley on my KA, it didnt help that POS of a motor become any less shitty than it was. the motor was just as slow, with or without that useless hunk of an aluminum paperweight.

-m
Well it mainly changes the way harmonics interfere with the engine, Another reason I'm glad my engine is internally balanced.

Yea I realize the weight lost on the crank pulley is nothing compared to what can be lost on lighter rims and tires, I lost 10 lbs PER wheel by switching from stock rims to stock size motegi tracklites(7lbs lost). and running General Tire Altimax HP's vs Falken ZE 912's(3lbs lost) both 195/60/r15. Braking, steering and acceleration are better. Most noticably however is the power steering feel after I'm moving, its easier to turn than before. The car also breaks free from a stand still much easier and accelerates easier with less gas than before.

I'll end up doing pulleys on my car when I do my flywheel to kind of balance out the rotational weight loss...

I'm not sure why hes so hung up on it really. I've tried to convince him otherwise but so far its done no good. I told him to get an exhaust system first, as he already has an intake it would compliment the car the most for what modifications he has already. What people dont seem to understand is what % of weight loss you are actually getting by switching to a lightweight pulley set, with everything in the rotating assembly counted up, its really not that much.

Thanks for the replies, I'll try looking up teh stock pulleys for the cars on Rockauto.com
Old 03-24-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
not to be a dick, but to be a dick.... you may want to remind your friend that afterall, it IS an altima.

i mean, what does he want to do.. be king of the altimas? like, what is he going to race in that thing?

in the grand scheme of things, he may want to consider spending that NA money on forced induction.. he'll get much better results and make enough power to start breaking things (cv/axles)... enough to where he'll probably think to himself "why didnt i buy a 350Z" etc...

a friend once said it best (and that friend is mikey [was] @ superior nissan):
customer walks in with a (240sx)
wants his car to be faster.. mikey suggests he buys a Z.

customer walks in with a Z, mikey suggests a GTR

customer walks in with a GTR,... well yeah, you get the point. your friend should be careful where he spends his money. pulleys arent worth much, being that ive been down that road before.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
MortsAccord

I tried to tell him theres other approaches to upgrading the performance of his altima, but hes stuck on it.

I haven't been able to find anything on the pulleys as of yet either, thanks.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
MortsAccord

We'll either no one knows the answer to my question, or people just don't care.

Though what I believe thus far is the altima uses a serpentine belt while the 240 uses a multi belt system. I believe it would fit but there would be an unused part of the pulley. I have no idea how true my theory is but at least you could possibly add a supercharger to it if my presumption is true.

Come on someones gotta know why the crank pulley KA24DE setup in a 240 differs than the altima's.... Technical data no BS about why it is or is not a good modification, this has been covered and doesnt interest me, I just want to know why or why not
Old 03-31-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
MortsAccord

Bump for an answer?
Old 04-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
MortsAccord

figures no one ever has good information.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
This is an S/Z chassis forum. You shouldn't expect to find Altima related info here.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #11
MortsAccord

I guess its unfortunate that this nissan community knows little about other cars produced by the manufacture of their choice, which also share the same engine platform as the altima. I would expect at least a vauge reasoning since the vehicles share a powerplant.

Anyone else have anyting entirely useless to add since no one has anything productive to put in here?
Old 04-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
toointoxicated62
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
toointoxicated62 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I guess its unfortunate that this nissan community knows little about other cars produced by the manufacture of their choice, which also share the same engine platform as the altima. I would expect at least a vauge reasoning since the vehicles share a powerplant.

Anyone else have anyting entirely useless to add since no one has anything productive to put in here?

this coming from the guy that comes on this forum asking about a altima. do your own research, we use rwd ka's not fwd.. Like projectRDM said find the stock pulleys part number, then check to see if the fwd ka's pulley is the same. if they are use the aftermark underdrive pulley.

done.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
MortsAccord

Quote:
Originally Posted by toointoxicated62 View Post
this coming from the guy that comes on this forum asking about a altima. do your own research, we use rwd ka's not fwd.. Like projectRDM said find the stock pulleys part number, then check to see if the fwd ka's pulley is the same. if they are use the aftermark underdrive pulley.

done.

They share an engine, reguardless of Rwd/Fwd some basic knowledge says most of the engine parts will transfer over from one car to the other. I guess this isn't a good enthusiast forum to ask on as this thread has beyond failed to reach even an approximate reason as to why the pulley is not, or cannot be shared. As a matter of fact the only reasoning here has been my own.

The general reply seems to be flaming and ignorance over technical responses. I hoped to avoid this by posting in a technical talk forum but the internet is coverd in arrogant mindless ranting fools. As for searching for a part number the closest I've come up with is some belts that match or says they are used in both vehicles. You assume that a search was never conducted on my own... I was unable to find a crank pulley/ harmonic damper on even Rockauto.com which has a very extensive list of parts for virtually ever car made. Thus your point of searching for part numbers is quite mute. After all how often does a stock pulley fail? I would venture to say virtually never.

The real enthusiast's that use this forum and may know the difference in the pulleys used either don't exist here or left because of what I see to be a poor forum community.

Asshat, go increase your post count elsewhere.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #14
soreballz
Post Whore!

soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Nobody flamed until the 12th post. That has to be some sort of record here.

Stop crying about it. Like I said, this a Z/S-chassis forum. You know, cars that are some type of fun sports car. Not many people here are going to give two shits about the lame ass FWD economy car that is the Altima, regardless of the fact that its powered by a KA.

Want helpful? Try the NICO forums. There's plently of dipshits over there that seem to think the Altima is a good base platform for a performance automobile. Maybe one of them will have an answer for you. Have fun picking out the accurate, useful information from the useless, incorrect information. There's a lot of that over there. Or perhaps you could give UR a call and ask them about it. Perhaps they'll have answers for you.

"The REEEEAL enthuiasts blah blah blah blah blah..." You drive an Accord; Shut the fuck up.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
dOMEmE
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
dOMEmE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by soreballz View Post
Nobody flamed until the 12th post. That has to be some sort of record here.

Stop crying about it. Like I said, this a Z/S-chassis forum. You know, cars that are some type of fun sports car. Not many people here are going to give two shits about the lame ass FWD economy car that is the Altima, regardless of the fact that its powered by a KA.

Want helpful? Try the NICO forums. There's plently of dipshits over there that seem to think the Altima is a good base platform for a performance automobile. Maybe one of them will have an answer for you. Have fun picking out the accurate, useful information from the useless, incorrect information. There's a lot of that over there. Or perhaps you could give UR a call and ask them about it. Perhaps they'll have answers for you.

"The REEEEAL enthuiasts blah blah blah blah blah..." You drive an Accord; Shut the fuck up.

hate, hate, hate, hate, hate...... theres alot of this on this forum dont worry (MortsAccord) someone knows but there scared that there going to get flamed for "knowing" anything else thats not "240" Related.
dOMEmE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #16
soreballz
Post Whore!

^Hey, dumbfuck, if anyone who's seen this thread knew, they'd give him an answer. Lots of people here know lots of things about cars that aren't 240s. Nobody seems to give a fuck about Altimas... For good reason, too. They suck.

If you got a problem with me, come out to Pipeline and handle it rather than trying to start shit on a forum.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #17
dOMEmE
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreballz View Post
^Hey, dumbfuck, if anyone who's seen this thread knew, they'd give him an answer. Lots of people here know lots of things about cars that aren't 240s. Nobody seems to give a fuck about Altimas... For good reason, too. They suck.

If you got a problem with me, come out to Pipeline and handle it rather than trying to start shit on a forum.

LOL!!!! waaaahhh wwaahhhh wwaaahhh........remember this

Just relax... Go with the flow.

plus i got better shit do than go and hear you talk shit but not do anything about it. .....
Old 04-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #18
ESmorz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
ESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ESmorz
PIPELINE BEAT DOWN.

I'll bring the camera.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #19
holybushoffire
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
holybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to holybushoffire
Alright ladies calm down a bit, the e-thug thing is definitely for teenagers. Seeing as you're both in your 20's this shouldn't be a problem.

Now as been said already just cross reference the pulley from the RWD KA and see if they are interchangable. Also, as been said again, convince your friend to invest in other means of power upgrades instead of wastes of money.

"some guys have a better relationship with their car than their wife haha. sad but true."

SECRET SOCIETY
holybushoffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #20
dOMEmE
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holybushoffire View Post
Alright ladies calm down a bit, the e-thug thing is definitely for teenagers. Seeing as you're both in your 20's this shouldn't be a problem.

Now as been said already just cross reference the pulley from the RWD KA and see if they are interchangable. Also, as been said again, convince your friend to invest in other means of power upgrades instead of wastes of money.

lol.....yes sir..."e-thug" lol...

back to accord man, pretty sure its not going to work
Old 04-11-2009, 12:38 AM   #21
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
Calm the fuck down.

It will work. For under 50 bucks, its nice to have. Do it.
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:47 AM   #22
MortsAccord

Quote:
Originally Posted by holybushoffire View Post
just cross reference the pulley from the RWD KA and see if they are interchangable.

I already said that even Rockauto doesnt have the pulleys listed for stock replacement. They have about the most extensive list of car parts for any given make/model there is, so if you know a more reputable site please let me know.

I think the pulley would work, but would have excess belt layouts that would not be utilized.

I drive more than an accord BTW my name doesn't designate my vehicle.... assumptions.

Soooshi? under 50 bucks? What the hell are you smoking, who sells UR pulleys for the KA for under 50 bucks....

Bleh time to go help fix a buddys 62shit mazda...
Old 04-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #23
SochBAT
Post Whore!

SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
You're not looking hard enough. LOL.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #24
MortsAccord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soooshi View Post
You're not looking hard enough. LOL.

Your freaking retarded. Polishing helmets for cheaper car parts doesn't count. Good god, contribute and be productive on a forum or GTFO.

Give 1 website that is more thorough than rockauto since your such a informed individual.

Freaking punk ass internet kid, your not smart your a dipshit.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:32 AM   #25
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Quote:
Says the guy who can't differentiate between YOUR (ownership) and YOU'RE (you are).
Old 04-12-2009, 03:04 AM   #26
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

Trader Rating: (36)
wangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wangan_cruiser
Quote:

Your freaking retarded. Polishing helmets for cheaper car parts doesn't count. Good god, contribute and be productive on a forum or GTFO.

Give 1 website that is more thorough than rockauto since your such a informed individual.

i would have to agree with sooshi. u can find cheap parts out there like he said u r not looking hard enough

lmao this thread......
wangan_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #27
MortsAccord

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangan_cruiser View Post
i would have to agree with sooshi. u can find cheap parts out there like he said u r not looking hard enough

lmao this thread......

Cheap parts... This thread isn't about cheap parts, its about getting a crank pulley for an Altima which uses the KA powerplant .. the same one found in the 240... This is only concerning the crank pulley made by Unorthodox Racing for the KA engine and why/why not this pulley will or will not fit.

I never once considered price of parts as it was not the topic being discussed. NO ONE sells UR crank pulleys for 50 bucks a pop for the KA. Private sales you do with your friends on discontinued parts are a far cry from actual purchase prices encountered when buying parts for your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soooshi View Post
Says the guy who can't differentiate between YOUR (ownership) and YOU'RE (you are).
About my misuse of the English language on a forum after 14 hours at a garage working on cars... congrats for pointing that out like most immature kids on the internet that have nothing else to fuel their side of a fire other than depict someones grammatical skills on a forum. If you are unable to act in a professional manner then don't even bother to attempt in correcting someone not using professional/proper English.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #28
ixfxi
Post Whore!

i took my KA pulley from my KA24 and tested it in my brother-in-law's 94 altima GXE.

amazing, it fit. there you go, i did all the research for you.

close thread
Old 04-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #29
MortsAccord

If you noticed at the time you tested this: Was the pulley able to route the belt(or belts) correctly? Were there extra areas on the pulley that were not used on that altima that are used on the 240's setup? I'm just curious on the physical differences if any between the pulleys. I was kind of worried that the fitment would barely be possible if the 240 uses a multi belt system and the altima a serpentine belt, as the altima is transversely mounted compared to the 240's longitudinally mounted KA.

I was never worried about it fitting on the KA in the altima, more or less its ability to properly perform its task.

That is if you installed the belts or pulleys at all.. I'm not saying you didn't so no need to jump on the defensive. I'm sure you can understand my doubts of someone taking it upon themselves to verify fitment of a crankshaft pulley over a forum posting. Thank you for your time man, I do appreciate it.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #30
Devil Man
Zilvia Junkie

Devil Man is an unknown quantity at this point
why ask a question then start to insult the people on the forums for not knowing about an altima, with that kind of behavior no one should help you.

The crank pully like you stated on the alty is different seeing as how it uses a serpant belt set up vs a multi belt set up. how you would think that it would work is behond me that alone should answer you. i have had/have both cars and i could not see a way of making this work seeing as how the belt is thicker on the alty. also i think its funny how you think that the ka is fully counter ballenced making it ok to remove the harmonic balencer. I could care less about that motor its not mine so w/e but there are plenty of test showing that the crank shafts suffer alot of stress and are much more prone to failure from not having them on it. why is it that they dont run billet aluminum crank pullies on race cars and shit. well w/e enjoy asking for help again on this forum to then turn around and start yelling at people for not knowing.

may i recomend you and your buddy try out club altima and the other altima based sites who would much better have an idea about this and any other altima based questions. im sure some ass hat like you and your friend has tried to do the same thing. I dont come on here looking for questions about a nissan quest and expect an answer.
Devil Man is offline   Reply With Quote