Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #3991
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
^ does it have the brute conversion???
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #3992
StReeTz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (16)
StReeTz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
Yes, it does have the conversion. It's pretty crazy looking. I finished the cage today, I'll post some more pictures later.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #3993
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
so i made one of those ball turning tools for my lathe at work:

and i made a coolant overflow tank for my buddy and me:

the cap for mine

finished

his:

and the welder i'm using:
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #3994
StReeTz
Zilvia Member

The ball turning tool looks great! That's the Steve Bedair design right? Did you use a bearing in the baseplate?
Old 08-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #3995
BTplaya
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
BTplaya is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:

AEV is right up the road from my house. So many nice jeeps sitting outside that place.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #3996
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
^ I'm jelly....

I'd love an AEV built JK. Brute converted or not.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #3997
kingston240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
kingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
excuse my ignorance because im not a machinist...

how do you get the grip/serated finish on the cap?
Old 08-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #3998
Nezahualcoyotl
Zilvia Addict

Nezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-known
knurling...........
Nezahualcoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #3999
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JaredP is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
alright, sooooo i gave a shot at welding my tubs in today. my buddy tacked them for me but didnt have time to weld it fully so i thought i'd try my hand at it. this is my first time with a mig for a year and a half, on just a week of training. could always use some tips:

welder: millermatic 180
settings: everything from voltage at 2-4, wire speed 20-50

my best weld (on the top piece)

the bad:

finished for now:

all in all, im happy how it turned out for not having welded so long, but help would be appreciated
JaredP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:38 AM   #4000
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Welding thin sheet is one of the harder things to do - voltage (heat) and wire control are key for continuous beads. The sweet thing about tubs is that since they're not structural, it doesn't matter if you use continuous beads.

Like any fab project, better fitting pieces make the welding step that much easier - lots of tacks will also keep the whole thing from warping as you go. I don't think yours looks horrible, and if you care, grind it down and use body filler on the seams before paint.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #4001
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

ya jeff, i plan on grinding (already started as you can see) and body filling. theres really only one spot left to weld which is against the strut tower, and then i need to fill in the empty spots still. just always looking to improve.

your right though, if this was something structural i wouldnt have even tried
Old 08-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #4002
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StReeTz View Post
The ball turning tool looks great! That's the Steve Bedair design right? Did you use a bearing in the baseplate?
Yeah that's Steve's design. I didn't use a bearing but I'm thinking about remaking the base plate with a bearing in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston240 View Post
excuse my ignorance because im not a machinist...

how do you get the grip/serated finish on the cap?
like the person below you said, i used a knurling tool on the lathe at low speed to get it like that.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #4003
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Welding thin sheet is one of the harder things to do - voltage (heat) and wire control are key for continuous beads. The sweet thing about tubs is that since they're not structural, it doesn't matter if you use continuous beads.

Like any fab project, better fitting pieces make the welding step that much easier - lots of tacks will also keep the whole thing from warping as you go. I don't think yours looks horrible, and if you care, grind it down and use body filler on the seams before paint.
I'm going to elaborate on that top bit a bit more.

What most people don't realize is thy the warping isn't caused by the heat.
It's caused by the contraction as the material cools.

Most REAL hotrod builders will weld everything in a long continuous pass.
This allows for a very even contraction rate and all the material will pull evenly.

That said. I don't want anyone thinking that will be the case 110% of the time.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #4004
StReeTz
Zilvia Member

Here is the cage finished. Added a brow bar, two tie in bars from the main hoop to brow bar, and 1" hand rails.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #4005
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

turns out i didnt have the gas on when i was doing those welds. i imagine they would turn out a lot better if i did
Old 08-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #4006
lowkey
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (17)
lowkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
I have a roll cage installed in my car and wanted to know if somebody from ths thread can install gussets with dimpledied holes on the windsheild bars and main hoop that will connect te cage to the a and b pillars. I also have minor holes that I want filled and I want 4 plates attached to the bottom of the floor pan where the cage is mounted. Im located in eaglerock california which is close to los angeles. If somebody can do this for me ill pay u them a million unmarked monoply bills. Give me a call or text 7608811649 or pm me
Old 08-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #4007
Zacho
Zilvia Member

Zacho is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is a sch40 collector that came out of my jig posted a couple pages back. Using 93 degrees I had a slight gap in the middle I will rid of with a bit of adjustment.

Can any collector builders share their method of getting the rotation for the 2nd cut very accurate every time?

Zacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #4008
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacho View Post
of adjustment.

Can any collector builders share their method of getting the rotation for the 2nd cut very accurate every time?
what i do is marge two pipes together
then merge the other two pipes together
then join the two merged half's together

think im gonna stop doing it like that now and build a jig and do it like u have
STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #4009
--Redwork--

--Redwork-- is an unknown quantity at this point
Zacho.. Whats wrong with how it is now..?? tack the 2 good halves together and give them a quick rub on the linisher and that little gap would disapear..

The first and last collector I made I used a dividing head and a mill...
Now I just let other ppl do it.. I hate making manifolds..

Hey Kemp.. A friend will be getting a GTiR manifold of you shortly..
--Redwork-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #4010
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Buy a POB bracket and a digital or analog angle finder.

Clamp bracket to pipe. Set the angle finder on top. Set to zero. Make first cut.
Rotate xxx number of degrees. Make second cut. ???. Profit.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #4011
Zacho
Zilvia Member

Thanks for the recommendations. I can't believe I didn't think of something I can zero and rotate. I'll hunt one down today.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:00 AM   #4012
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Redwork-- View Post
Hey Kemp.. A friend will be getting a GTiR manifold of you shortly..
no worries mate send him over when ever his ready
STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #4013
leelika08

leelika08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by punxva View Post
Luke you've nailed it on the head, there needs to be more informative posts on zilvia, and this is a step in the right direction.

Subscribed
might i add that perhaps some details on what techniques were used to fab. ie, what equipment was used to bend tubing, what was used for mockups, what type of welding, what equipment was used for welding, etc..
Old 08-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #4014
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelika08 View Post
might i add that perhaps some details on what techniques were used to fab. ie, what equipment was used to bend tubing, what was used for mockups, what type of welding, what equipment was used for welding, etc..

I hate questions like these. What ends up happening is everyone start thinking they can do it once they find out how others do it. Leaving the people who do it for a living, starving for work.
Helping people is great. But there's a point where's helping others becomes helping others succeed while you help yourself fail.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #4015
StReeTz
Zilvia Member

Quote:
I hate questions like these. What ends up happening is everyone start thinking they can do it once they find out how others do it. Leaving the people who do it for a living, starving for work.
Helping people is great. But there's a point where's helping others becomes helping others succeed while you help yourself fail.
I think that has some validity to it but I don't think it affects our livelihood. I've told many people the processes involved in constructing roll cages or various other fabrication projects. Most people find the amount of work daunting and will not attempt it themselves. The small percentage of people that do try it themselves without proper equipment usually wind up coming back and asking me to fix their mistakes. In which case you should always charge extra, like the old shop rate sign which has progressively higher hourly rates for 'If you watch', 'If you help', and 'If you work on it before'. . Not to mention all the proper equipment you need to virtually tackle any project. Most people aren't willing to spend 50k+ on all the tools, programs, machines, etc. Lastly, you need a well tailored skill set to accompany all the tools, which also isn't free.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #4016
BTplaya
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
BTplaya is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Turbo Manifold & Down Pipe.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #4017
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
Quote:
Originally Posted by StReeTz View Post
Yes, it does have the conversion. It's pretty crazy looking. I finished the cage today, I'll post some more pictures later.
I LOVE that truck... It's a shame that its not a standard model. Bring back the Comanche!!! Awesome looking cage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
The sweet thing about tubs is that since they're not structural, it doesn't matter if you use continuous beads.
I somewhat agree with this statement, although they are not load bearing they have to play a small roll in reinforcing the shock towers. I wouldn't leave a shock tower without them and expect them not to flex/bend. Either the case a continuous bead is not necessarily stronger than a stitch either; at least with a stitch you can isolate failures. I know you are aware of these, considering your posts on here, so it surprises me that you wrote that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTplaya View Post
Turbo Manifold & Down Pipe.
hotness!

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #4018
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Black240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black240Ct
im happy with how this turned out so figured id post it up.

bash bar is made out of 1 3/8 tubing.

that connects to a 1.5 ID pipe that slips over a 1.5 OD pipe thats welded to a square tube cut in half that bolts to the car.

the bash bar is held to the brackets with a 10mm bolt (hopefully a good sheer bolt)

working on my mig welding

Black240Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #4019
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

a little something i whipped up real quick at work.

moved rearward to get it a little away from the hydro ebrake and took out the damper.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:39 AM   #4020
Zacho
Zilvia Member

^Cool. So what happens with the factory rubber flex piece that goes on the factory shifter? I've always wanted to drop my shifter height a couple inches.

Here is some more I've done. I fubar'd the first few filling in the middle. Still haven't found an easy way to do it. But I'm learning