Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
kylec00per
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
kylec00per is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help!

Hey guys, i just want to start by saying i'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but i saw someone else with a similar post in this section and no one told him otherwise so i thought i would post here. Well, a kid my brother goes to school with has a 240 rolling shell that has rust only on the front driver side frame rail. That is the only thing wrong with the car! He thinks that the car is now worthless, so hes selling the shell and a ka that is out of the car in pieces all for $280 (engine "worked" when he took it out) . For that price, i could sell the engine either fully put back together as a running engine, or scrap it, either way getting what i paid for both the car and engine alone. Then, i priced out a swap from zerolift (are they reliable for a good swap?) for a full rb20det swap for $1300 plus $150 for shipping. They said all i would need is a driveshaft and motor mounts, which they sell both for about $500, and the engine would be ready to go. This seems like a low price (atleast from what i understood) for a completely running rb20. The car also doesn't have a welded diff (which is good for me because that's what i am looking for) so it seems like it would be the best choice, and i had it all written out that for a new battery, tires and steelies, car needs new front fender, the new frame rail, battery relocation to the trunk, short shifter, and turbo guage cluster, it would all come out to be about $3000, then take about $200-$500 off for the price of the engine (scrapped or sold). So basically, if my math/understanding is right, that would be a running 240 with an rb-t swap for under about $3000. Also, I'm not trying to cut corners, but I am 15 and only have $3650 in the bank, so i can't buy the best of the best parts. So what do you guys think, does this sound like it would be a good idea. Please let me know because I'm really trying to convince my parents into letting me do this because i get my permit in June and im trying to have a nice running 240 by then.
kylec00per is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
driftxninja
Zilvia Member

driftxninja is an unknown quantity at this point
rust on the frame rail sucks. and i wont look into pricing but honestly there is most likely (and will most likely always be) things that you overlook. it always ends up costing more than you originally intend. that has been my experiences anyways i have had 2 s chassis and about to buy a miata lol
driftxninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
kylec00per
Leaky Injector

C'mon guys 71 views and 1 reply! Thanks btw ninja and i heard the rust was common on 240s and nissan even sold a replacement rail that you had to weld in so i figured it would be ok? and i know im sure it would cost more with parts breaking/missing etc. but hopefuly i'll have an under-the-table job once i turn 16 so i can make bank and pay for those unexpected expenses.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
kylec00per
Leaky Injector

Bump for help!!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
$500 for a driveshaft and motor mounts?

lol
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Is it a s13 or s14.
First off dont get a rb it will cost more in the long run for replacement or mods. I would be able to fix the rust since i think your in nj but you would need to get it up by me. Xcessive sells aftermarket frames to fix it , since i dont think they sell oem ones anymore.

You need more then just mounts and a driveshaft for the swap. You will atleast need intercooler, piping , fuel pump, wiring the harness, new fans and raditator. There is also always the unexpected parts that come around.

I would not buy it to fix if I were you, I rather part it out to make some cash. Have you ever worked on cars or have any experience besides basic shit, what about tools since I know tools can be expensive also?
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
kylec00per
Leaky Injector

di-devol-is that too high/low?

blueshark-i am in south nj neer AC. I have never worked on cars to that extent(swaps) but i do know a few people that already said they would help me out that have done swaps in the past. I don't want to take it to a shop because that's just more $ that i don't have and if i do it i can learn what i'm doing. Also, the people i would be doing it with have all the tools/lifts etc. and i can also borrow tools from my schools shop whenever cuz my teachers cool. As for it being an s13/14 i am not even sure yet because i've been waiting for the kid to email me pics/info on the car all i kno is he has a 240 for sale for $280 with a ka.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
KravingAKouki
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
KravingAKouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Do you know how to weld? I would imho just wait, or buy that and part that. Youll get more money to buy a "nicer" 240
KravingAKouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
SLiDe_WaYz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Your already in over your head.