Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
devlmaycry
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
devlmaycry is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
04 G35 Coupe new clutch no start issue

Ok, I recenty purchased an 04 g35 coupe that the clutch crapped out me after about a week. The throwout bearing shelled on me. So, I ordered a southbend clutch kit with flywheel and took it down to the local shop to install it....

After they put the car back together it cranks over just fine, but won't start. It acts like it wants to start during the first second of cranking then just keeps cranking with no indication of wanting to start. It doesn't seem to be getting spark or fuel after that first second. I know that the battery was disconnected for 3 days while they waited for a new input shaft cover to show up.

Things they've tried and I've suggested after searching:

1. Replace crank sensor since it was covered in shavings from the old clutch
2. Brought my spare key in just in case the one they had magically crapped out
3. Called several shops and southbend. Everyone except southbend said the flywheel was indexed wrong. Of course the shop it's at says they indexed it right....
4. Tried disconnecting the crank sensor and still no start
5. No red security light is on during cranking, supposedly there is no NATS codes, and key fob also still works.
6. Starter fluid won't start the car and there is no gas smell after frequent cranking

So, what else could be wrong with this? It ran when I dropped it off and now doesn't.... I seem to be beating my head against a wall and they are taking their sweet time troubleshooting it.
devlmaycry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
JDMpurest
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
JDMpurest is making his/her stupidity well-knownJDMpurest is making his/her stupidity well-knownJDMpurest is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Well if starting fluid wont start it then you have no spark. Disconnect the fuel line and start the car, if it pressurizes and shoots fluid you have fuel to the rail. Pull out a spark plug stick it the wire ground it out on something then start the car, if you see spark than you got spark. all you need is fuel, spark and air. figure out those three then go from there.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMpurest View Post
Well if starting fluid wont start it then you have no spark. Disconnect the fuel line and start the car, if it pressurizes and shoots fluid you have fuel to the rail. Pull out a spark plug stick it the wire ground it out on something then start the car, if you see spark than you got spark. all you need is fuel, spark and air. figure out those three then go from there.
That would be true if it was an older car. Newer cars can be infinitely more complicated than that.

If you some how get a ground/power crossover all your sensors will get the wrong voltage and it won't run worth shit. All sensors should be getting 5v reference.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
silver350z05rb
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
silver350z05rb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
the key could definantly be a problem, might have gotten de programmed from the system itself, they mustve unplugged something, you got to verify that you are getting fuel since you cant smell anything, maybe you have no gas at all or a fuse blew for something fuel releated when the battery was plugged back in, in the Z theres hidden fuses in the battery section, not sure on a G, check the kick panel fuses, the battery fuses and the hidden fuses in the battery tray( maybe Z only??)
silver350z05rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
devlmaycry
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
devlmaycry is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver350z05rb View Post
the key could definantly be a problem, might have gotten de programmed from the system itself, they mustve unplugged something, you got to verify that you are getting fuel since you cant smell anything, maybe you have no gas at all or a fuse blew for something fuel releated when the battery was plugged back in, in the Z theres hidden fuses in the battery section, not sure on a G, check the kick panel fuses, the battery fuses and the hidden fuses in the battery tray( maybe Z only??)
Wow! Back from the dead. It was the reluctor ring on the flywheel that was bent. On the Southbend flywheels it's a mild steel machined ring that can be removed and somehow got a bend in it. Straightened it out and it started right up!
devlmaycry is offline   Reply With Quote