Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
CharCharXD
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
CharCharXD is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Post Importing and Registering Q's

Thanks for clicking my thread! Okay so the reason I'm starting this thread is because I've been getting a lot of mixed answers while I was searching how to import and register a Japanese vehicle. Some things factual and others not. But my goal with this thread is to get set information that from an experienced Zilvilian lol. With over 100,000 users on this site I'm sure at least 1 or 2 of you have imported a car from Japan (lol probably hundreds or thousands). And I'm sure many of you have gotten them legally registered as well. I know it's probably not an easy task but still, I don't want any hate on this thread. I want to keep this totally positive. So don't go posting negative comments and useless information. I don't want the "Just buy an s14 here, who cares about RHD." While I was researching I came across many different answers. So I have a list of questions that I'd like to be answered by someone that has imported a vehicle from Japan and has gotten it registered in the states.

1. How do I import the car I want?
I know there are a bunch of auction houses in Japan. How do they work? Whats the shipping process and how long does the process take? + can someone appoint me to an easy, reliable auction house site? I read that I must give the importer a filled Pro-Forma Invoice? and send money through wire transfer?

2. Once it's here, where do I pick it up?
At this point do you have all the documents of the car yet? Or does that arrive with the car?I'm in Las Vegas so it's pretty easy for me to drive down to LA. Apparently this is a popular drop off point for cargo ships. (lucky for me ) Who clears the car through customs? How do I hire a Shipping Agent? <-- how did you go upon this issue?

3. What were all the fees you had to pay to pick up the car in the states? (ex, tax, shipping?) How much did you pay for shipping, tax, and shipping agent (if you had one? is it required?)?

4. What paperwork must be filled out? Where do I get this paperwork from from? What fees must be paid to register it? How long does this process take?

Okay so theres all my questions laid out. If someone can answer all these questions that'd be great but you don't have to. But I'm just asking for straight answers and what you had to do to import and register your car. What was your experience like and would you do it again? Rate the difficulty by *. 1 * being easy. 5 * being extremely hard. What car did you import? Looking forward to reading your responses! If you read through this whole post I thank you.
CharCharXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
KendallH
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
KendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
nevermind why did i reply

Last edited by KendallH; 07-26-2012 at 03:32 PM..
KendallH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Lees_Garage
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (66)
Lees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really nice
Feedback Score: 66 reviews
Here is a write-up about grey market vehicles. It is about Hondas, but applys to any grey market import. Grey Market Vehicles

@lees_garage
Lees_Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
coupesallday!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
coupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via MSN to coupesallday!
Classic JDM Imports
coupesallday! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
coreyh
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
coreyh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
just wait two more years when the 1989 is considered "classic" and go crazy. thats what im doing.
coreyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
drscooper
Zilvia Addict

drscooper is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i would be intrested in this also i have read alot but dont want to screw myself over lol
drscooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
vehicle336
Zilvia Member

vehicle336 is an unknown quantity at this point
The law is written to say 25 years from the month of manufacture. That means that since many Japanese cars were built the year before (or several months at least) their actual model year, you could technically begin importing them as soon as this time next year, since the cars were built in 88 but sold as an 89 model year. At least that's the case with most Japanese cars. I'm not an expert on Skylines, but it'd be nice if that were the case.
vehicle336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
coreyh
Leaky Injector

i believe thats with any car, my buddy's dad imported an aston martin db5 and original mini from england and wasnt hassled since they were older then 25.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
If its not 25 yrs old...dont bother importing it...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
coreyh
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
If its not 25 yrs old...dont bother importing it...
qft. the best non american cars are all older than 25 years old anywawy...actually the best cars are older 25 years
Old 07-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
If you're really serious about importing a JDM car, try giving John at Black Ops Performance in Pompano Beach FL a call, he specializes in stuff like this.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
vehicle336
Zilvia Member

vehicle336 is an unknown quantity at this point
Vintage Japanese Vehicles Sales and Restoration | JDM Legends
vehicle336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
CharCharXD
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
CharCharXD is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Grip View Post
Here is a write-up about grey market vehicles. It is about Hondas, but applys to any grey market import. Grey Market Vehicles
this really helped thanks. *still in need of someone who has experienced importing themselves*
CharCharXD is offline   Reply With Quote