Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-10-2007, 10:43 PM   #1
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Gjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Engine Bay Clean up????

Ok, I've got my engine pulled and get ready to do some sanding and primering, getting ready for paint. I been searching the forums all night but have found what I'm looking for. I'm wondering if anyone has a write up or can point me in the right direction to clean up the engine wiring. I've seen where some have completely moved their fuse boxes and relays to behind the dash board and under the armrest. Just trying to see if I can clean up this mess.

LSX Kouki Project, swap completed in Dec 09
Gjohnson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Mikester is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR

Respectfully, I can see why you're wanting to do some cleaning up. Depending on how clean you want your look to be, there's plenty of options for you without having to search writeups. I didn't do any custom routing, other than retaping my harness and tying back my EGR/Boost solenoid connectors. Your engine bay is definitely kinda messy, but IMO just needs a little TLC, not an enima=) Unless you're going for show quality ultra clean. Here's how mine looks if you're interested.
MCedit.JPG

Cheers!
-Mike

BTW still trying to figure out how to get a decent sized pic on here. PM me with an email address if you'd like to see the full size ones. Either way, best of luck to ya!
Mikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:54 AM   #3
Spoolpigeon
Leaky Injector

Spoolpigeon is making a name for him/her selfSpoolpigeon is making a name for him/her self
i went all out with mine, i don't know if you want to go into it this deep, but here is what i did.

pretty much stripped the bay

hit it with some purple power...

before

after

wet sanded the bay with 400 grit, put it in primer

wet sanded again with the 400grit, wahed the bay with water, let it dry overnight, the started with the real paint

and here is the final product

Last edited by Spoolpigeon; 07-11-2007 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: screwed up a link
Spoolpigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
20 til 3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
20 til 3 is making his/her stupidity well-known20 til 3 is making his/her stupidity well-known20 til 3 is making his/her stupidity well-known20 til 3 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^^^ looks really good Spoolpigeon

Hmmm... if you were talking about cleaning up all the wiring then I recommend something called a "painless harness" which in contrast, isn't exactly painless. But it's just a generic harness that you splice and wire within your car. Cost go from $50-200. Of course you don't need this, but making your engine bay with nothing but your engine in it requires alot more time and paitence then actually dropping your SR in.

The way I would do it, take out everything, every bit of wiring you can find, please make sure you don't cut it to get it out, keep it intact. Once it's all out, start rerouting wires to what you "NEED". I.E. Power to ECU, lights, sensor wires, etc. Do it one at a time and since it's such a broad range of possibilities on how far you want to redo your wiring, there isn't much help on the internet besides a FSM. So in turn, a FSM is your best friend, find it, keep it, love it, read it, use it.
20 til 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
Sir
Zilvia Addict

Sir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud of
Im in the same boat.
Going with custom harness, seems easier. Getting rid of pop-ups makes it easier too. Only thing left out of the driver side relay box is horn and ACC2.
Sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Gjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the info guys, the engine bays look great. I probably going to do something like yours Spoolpigeon. I am going to paint the entire car anyway, and I've started removing wiring, I just hate to remove something and not remember where it goes back. Guess I'll just get to taking more pictures and dive in.

P.S. Yeah the wiring in my engine bay looks a plain mess. I just bought the car with a knocking SR with the plan to rebuild.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #7
NSX-R

NSX-R is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to NSX-R
It looks great. I can tell from experience you put in a lot of hours and it shows. congratulations!

i've been using a little bit of simple green and water to keep the dirt to a minimal in my engine bay.
the finishing touch that i use is tire foam from Costco. it really shines up the parts in the engine bay
NSX-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #8
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Ok, new issue.

I made some mad progress today. But do I just leave the rest of these fuses and wires attached. I can't figure out how I would remove them from the driverside of the vehicle.

Oh, and I was prepped and ready to power wash the engine bay earlier. I sprayed the bay down with degreaser and borrowed my neighbors power washer. I started it up and it idled for about 25 seconds and the pump went out.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:54 PM   #9
Sir
Zilvia Addict

Sir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud of
I just pulled mine out.

you have to disconnect the SMJ thats there, along with couple of misc things (clutch pedal, misc relays) and then the harness that goes on the steering column. That all pulls out through the driverside hole by the fender.

Thats as far as I got.
Still got to get rid of the popup relays, ac, some other crap.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:27 PM   #10
ecuastyle84
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
ecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ecuastyle84
heres what i did:

after the motor was pulled

after i remove pretty much everything, i cleaned the bay using only bug tar...don't ask me why but it worked like a charm

i then stripped the paint using soft sand paper...can't remember what grid i used though

then comes the primer

then the paint

an the finished product
ecuastyle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:31 PM   #11
Sir
Zilvia Addict

Nice, I won't be finished for a while as I'm stiching the chassis, so going and cleaning up all the glue is going to be fun for a while.
Also, looks like you left the AC under the dash - that I will be removing. and moving 90% of the wiring to the inside.
Also I hope you removed the battery tray - it looks rusted bad!

Besides that - looks awesome.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:38 PM   #12
ecuastyle84
Zilvia Junkie

ecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to allecuastyle84 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir View Post
Nice, I won't be finished for a while as I'm stiching the chassis, so going and cleaning up all the glue is going to be fun for a while.
Also, looks like you left the AC under the dash - that I will be removing. and moving 90% of the wiring to the inside.
Also I hope you removed the battery tray - it looks rusted bad!

Besides that - looks awesome.
yea the ac im still debating if i want it or not...as for the battery tray that will be taking care of later on...since im on a tight budget with my swap, at this point i just need to get the car on the road...but thats def the first thing im fixing after the motor is running...you won't even believe how big of a rust hole i have there lol
Old 07-14-2007, 11:54 PM   #13
Sir
Zilvia Addict

I've seen my share of rusty S13s, Chicago isn't frienliest place for a S13. :lol:

Totally understand tho, especially if its your daily. I'm taking my sweet ass time with my S13.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:49 AM   #14
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

I'll be working on removing the battery tray as soon as possible. I apparently have time, since I still haven't found a crank. But I do need to get my rubber to the road ASAP too!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:24 PM   #15
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Ok, finally got the engine bay power washed. Now, on to sanding. Thanks for all the tips guys.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:03 PM   #16
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Why is it you guys who go through the trouble of repainting everything but don't take the extra five seconds to pull the grommets out around the AC and heater lines?

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #17
ecuastyle84
Zilvia Junkie

i would of taken mine out if i was painting my bay a different color like red or something...but since i did it black i didnt care....you can hardy notice if it was painted or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by R240NA View Post
Why is it you guys who go through the trouble of repainting everything but don't take the extra five seconds to pull the grommets out around the AC and heater lines?
Old 10-05-2007, 09:32 PM   #18
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Hey, ecuastyle84 and Spoolpigeon what did you guys use for paint?

I've been working on the other body work for a while now and was going to paint the bay the same color as the car with my neighbor, but he is really busy right now and I need to get this sucker running. I was planning on dropping by the autoparts store and buying some rattle can primer and black paint.

Any suggestions? I'm planning of tackling this tomorrow.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:58 AM   #19
Sir
Zilvia Addict

truck bedliner - shit looks awesome.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:17 AM   #20
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Im going to attempt to redo all my brake lines. I cant stand them being up top.
Tearlessj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:27 AM   #21
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
Chrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
that looks really good,

you guys should of at least stitch welded the strut towers, any time i see a s13 with out the motor, the only thing running through my mind is welding the chassis. lol

just for shits..
Old 10-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #22
TravisSW
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
TravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TravisSW
I've noticed a LOT of people use black and don't get me wrong, those are some beautiful engine bays.

But has anybody thought of going with a white or some kind of grey/silver? Not sure if it help reduce heat in the bay by sunlight, but it would be a hell of a lot easier to find a tool or screw that you dropped lol.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:16 AM   #23
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

so for those that have done this, will just a few can's of dupont primer and paint take care of this nicely???

About how many cans? Are those pics above of flat black or glossy black? I can't tell on this computer screen.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:27 AM   #24
sbanzer123
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
sbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
heres what i did.

motor out. cleaned it

cut out the battery trey and welded a piece of steel in.

primed

painted

back together
sbanzer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:04 PM   #25
khilgers
Zilvia Addict

khilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond repute
I pulled the motor, got rid of all the electrical, removed brake booster, master cylinder, etc. Then for prep work I sanded the entire bay with a red scotch brite type pad, it worked great for getting into all the tight spots in the engine bay. Then I sent it out for paint, and while it was away for paint I re-wrapped the entire harness for a cleaner look. Lastly my friend that did the wiring got rid of a good amount of unecessary wires to help clean things up further. I'm happy with the way it turned out, good luck.

khilgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #26
Sergio180sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
Sergio180sx is on the path to ruinSergio180sx is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
i know this is old but i would love to see more examples and tips on tucking the harnesses, anyone shave there s-chassis bay?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftOutlaw View Post
No not at the moment but an easy fix. just swap the motor I have in and take the old one out.
Sergio180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #27
s13love-green
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (50)
s13love-green is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio180sx View Post
i know this is old but i would love to see more examples and tips on tucking the harnesses, anyone shave there s-chassis bay?
same here pics and details on how u did it to help out and save time when we do it
Old 03-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #28
pogstar
Leaky Injector

pogstar is an unknown quantity at this point
Go to this thread, lots of awesome bays
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=322220
pogstar is offline   Reply With Quote