Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #841
Sgtnubcakes

Trader Rating: (2)
Sgtnubcakes is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
I officially like the Autometer one because it's the only one that I have seen that is fully programmable to match whatever sending unit you are using:

Auto Meter

I like to mount them behind smoked plexi. I also disassemble the gauge and paint the inside all black. Otherwise you may see some of the white text though the plexi.

I have done several setups with various techniques:

This first setup is the easiest:

Do you have a walk through on how to disassemble the gauge or advice on how to do it? I noticed that you used duct tape on the gauge when you were done, is this used because of disassembling it?

Thanks.

Sgtnubcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #842
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
The duct tape is just an easy way to hold the gauge items together since for that type of install I do away with the bezel.... which holds all of the gauge parts together. In the install I'm posting pictures of below, you can see how the duct tape was used to hold the smoked piece of plexi on there also:

The finished results:

i don't have a writeup, but I do have a nice set of pictures that you can follow and see how I did it. In this particular setup I did for a friend's STi, I ground the gauge bezel down so I didn't need to use duct tape. But this install is completely different since I made a "housing" for the AEM wideband gauge to sit in and then attached the housing to the back of the vent trim:

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #843
Sgtnubcakes

Sgtnubcakes is an unknown quantity at this point
Another quick question... For the calibration, did you use the custom setting on the fuel gauge? or would one of the presets work because its a nissan.
Sgtnubcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #844
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtnubcakes View Post
Another quick question... For the calibration, did you use the custom setting on the fuel gauge? or would one of the presets work because its a nissan.
Couldn't tell you... I never actually have these cars at my shop. I ship these custom pieces all over the world which means the wiring/setup/install is obviously not done by me.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 07-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #845
Tryflinkeith757

Trader Rating: (0)
Tryflinkeith757 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Broadfield, what plans do you have for your differential on that LS swaped S13 of yours? More specifically, what plans/ideas do you have for the final gear (ring & pinion).

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #846
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryflinkeith757 View Post
Broadfield, what plans do you have for your differential on that LS swaped S13 of yours? More specifically, what plans/ideas do you have for the final gear (ring & pinion).

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
No idea. I have the S15 housing and diff in there now. So I'll rock that at first and see what it does.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 07-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #847
Sycobob

Trader Rating: (1)
Sycobob is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
One more quick question: Any recommendations on 6.5" speaker adapters for an S13? The Ebay ones I ordered arrived and they're not the most confidence inspiring product (go figure). The plastic is pretty hard, but they do flex a decent amount. Will this matter once they're covered with sound deadener and installed?
Sycobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #848
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycobob View Post
One more quick question: Any recommendations on 6.5" speaker adapters for an S13? The Ebay ones I ordered arrived and they're not the most confidence inspiring product (go figure). The plastic is pretty hard, but they do flex a decent amount. Will this matter once they're covered with sound deadener and installed?
When installing higher end speakers, I always just make my own on the fly for whatever vehicle I'm doing. I will typically make them out of some form of wood... birch plywood being the best.

With that being said, once you sound deaden the door, then bolt the adapter into place, then sound deaden over the adapter, then bolt the spacer to that if needed, then bolt the speaker in place.... it will stiffen everything up better than you think.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 07-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #849
Sycobob

Sycobob is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea, I'd prefer to actually make it myself, but I don't have the tools or space currently. Hopefully it doesn't undermine the speakers too badly. Thanks.
Sycobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #850
cchondro
Zilvia Junkie

cchondro is an unknown quantity at this point
Sir broadfield
Can you please tell me how to wire up the headlights, turn signals, and wipers to a toggle switch.

Turn signal I kind of have an idea on what to do but not quite sure.
cchondro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #851
belac515

belac515 is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you have experience with footwell sub enclosures?

I've been looking into audio for my miata and people have been raving about them.
I'm pretty skeptical about them mainly due to how small they are (sealed 8" with .235 ft^3). I'm not sure if it would give me the sound I'm after (nothing too crazy, but I do enjoy bass).

Here is a picture of the ones being made just to give you an idea about them.

Thanks.
belac515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #852
delado
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
delado is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Hey Toby!

Bought a Viper 3303 from you a couple months back. Love it! I wanna pick up some actuators for my door locks. Which do you recommend? How difficult are they to install?
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
That's because everyone with a zenki feels sorry for themselves and they find commonality in the fact that there's no hope for making them look remotely good.
delado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #853
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchondro View Post
Sir broadfield
Can you please tell me how to wire up the headlights, turn signals, and wipers to a toggle switch.

Turn signal I kind of have an idea on what to do but not quite sure.
That's not something I can just easily type out. I mean are you starting from scratch... as in are you need to wire relays and everything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belac515 View Post
Do you have experience with footwell sub enclosures?

I've been looking into audio for my miata and people have been raving about them.
I'm pretty skeptical about them mainly due to how small they are (sealed 8" with .235 ft^3). I'm not sure if it would give me the sound I'm after (nothing too crazy, but I do enjoy bass).

Here is a picture of the ones being made just to give you an idea about them.

Thanks.
Yeah, .235 is pretty small for a typical 8". Pretty much all of them want anywhere from .3 - .35 cubic feet. If the enclosure is undersized then you will have less low frequency extension... which the 8" already suffers in that department because well, it's an 8". The only time I do 8" subs are in the Lambo's, Ferraris etc. However, those are right behind your back... so you get the punch in your kidney thus giving the feeling that you have more bass than you actually do. Or if I'm doing a crazy transmission line enclosure. Which a 6" sub can perform like a 12" in a t-line... but the enclosure is huge and not a friendly shape. The main question is: what kind of music do you listen to? And don't say everything! If you were going to jam out to something right now what would it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delado View Post
Hey Toby!

Bought a Viper 3303 from you a couple months back. Love it! I wanna pick up some actuators for my door locks. Which do you recommend? How difficult are they to install?
I sell the high performance DEi actuators... same company that makes Viper. The two actuators would run $20 shipped. They are not too bad to install. Here is a picture one of my customers posted when he did his:

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 08-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #854
Tryflinkeith757

Tryflinkeith757 is an unknown quantity at this point
I couldn't find anything on your S15 differential setup. I would like to know how you accomplished this...custom bushings/ fabricated subframe / axles/drive shaft. Also, I'm guessing your using the S15 final gear that came with the housing.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #855
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
They absolutely need an enclosure. Put one in a transmission line enclosure and you would be floored.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask or you can find info here:

http://hybrid-audio.com/downloads/sp...fer_Manual.pdf
I was looking to do Full range in the front then subs in the rear shelf. Keep an OEM look with not much trunk loss.

TY for the Sub manual. I could only find the full range one.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #856
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
I was looking to do Full range in the front then subs in the rear shelf. Keep an OEM look with not much trunk loss.

TY for the Sub manual. I could only find the full range one.
You can find their manuals here:

http://hybrid-audio.com/downloads/sp...erence-guides/

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 08-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #857
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl677 View Post
What sound system set up do you suggest in the $300-500 price range?
"Sound system" is a VERY loose phrase... you need to give me a little more to go on.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 08-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #858
tgm

tgm is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to tgm
What are the dimensions of your radiator on the LS3? I just got mine from Chase and its ridiculously small, I don't think it is going to cool my LS.
tgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #859
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm View Post
What are the dimensions of your radiator on the LS3? I just got mine from Chase and its ridiculously small, I don't think it is going to cool my LS.
3"x24"x13"

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 08-25-2013, 02:16 AM   #860
Konster
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
Konster is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Sup dude, quick question. How hard was it to install the 350Z pedal set?
Old 08-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #861
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konster View Post
Sup dude, quick question. How hard was it to install the 350Z pedal set?
The brake and clutch are pretty easy... matter of cutting down the metal S13 pads and glueing on the 350z covers. The dead pedal needs a little work but the gas pedal is the difficult part. I took some build pics of the process when I did a set for a customer. In the next week I'll do a write-up on it and put it up on my blog. I'll reply back here once I post it.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #862
drivnovrdaedge
Leaky Injector

drivnovrdaedge is an unknown quantity at this point
hey i am no longer in the import scene but i am interested in getting a dash cluster setup.
it is going into a 1966 chevy c10 stepside (patina truck). I have purchased two 5in speedo and tach with 5 small gauges.

here are some pics of an example of peoples setups they have done. i will be using autometer phantom (style 1) gauges .

i have a couple concerns that i would like to ask you:
- i dont like how flat the panel to gauges is. they poke out to much and dont work with the flow of the dash. could you do a recessed setup panel for all? do you have any suggestions on how you would put them in to match the 1966 c10 styling. mine is a step side.

here is a pic of the stock dash and cluster for reference:

- can you fit those 6 gauges (2 large and 4 small) in the panel like in the pic but recessed with 2 turn signal indicators and headlight warning?
- can you also paint the outer rims of the gauges and also the metal bezel around the original cluster? some gauges are used and have scratches like the cluster original bezel, would be nice to paint them all and get it all together.
- what would the price be? i will be sending you all the gauges with the original stock cluster and surrounding ( the stock gauges are broken and missing needles but good to make measurements and have correct mounting points)

let me know if you are interested and price, and how long the wait would be ...

thanks

this is the truck that it is going into

drivnovrdaedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #863
Konster
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
Konster is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
The brake and clutch are pretty easy... matter of cutting down the metal S13 pads and glueing on the 350z covers. The dead pedal needs a little work but the gas pedal is the difficult part. I took some build pics of the process when I did a set for a customer. In the next week I'll do a write-up on it and put it up on my blog. I'll reply back here once I post it.
Thank you sir.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #864
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivnovrdaedge View Post
hey i am no longer in the import scene but i am interested in getting a dash cluster setup.
it is going into a 1966 chevy c10 stepside (patina truck). I have purchased two 5in speedo and tach with 5 small gauges.
Do you have any pictures of the cluster out of the truck?... front, back, side etc.?

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #865
drivnovrdaedge
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Do you have any pictures of the cluster out of the truck?... front, back, side etc.?

here is a good thread with pics:

How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

i also noticed that most of the gauge panels use 3 3/8in large cut outs for the 2 large gauges. i want to put 5in gauges in the cluster.

here is a link to a source that has a panel already made:
Classic Dash :: GM :: Chevy Truck :: 1964 :: Drilled Panels :: 1964-66 Chevrolet Truck Black 6 Hole Dash Panel No Gauges
Old 09-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #866
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
i also noticed that most of the gauge panels use 3 3/8in large cut outs for the 2 large gauges. i want to put 5in gauges in the cluster.
So if there is barely enough room for a 3-3/8", how do you plan to fit 5"? On top of that I need even more room to flush them in. It appears to me the only way to fit larger than 3-3/8" is to utilize the angled area at the front edge of the cluster. Everything on that angled ledge would need to be relocated to either somewhere else in the truck or maybe into new locations on the cluster. So basically the new cluster plate that I make would be angled from the front bottom edge of where the angled ledge is now and then up to where the top edge of the cluster plate sits now. Hopefully that makes sense to you.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #867
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

redline racer510 is on the path to ruinredline racer510 is on the path to ruin
Toby I remember you mentioning somewhere on this forum about mounting gauges in a s14 in place of the din pocket under the radio. What is the best way to mount them, I am also thinking about using dark plexiglass in front of the gauges but am worried about the aem uego and tru-boost gauge color LEDs not being able to show through especially during the day?
Old 09-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #868
drivnovrdaedge
Leaky Injector

Quote:
So if there is barely enough room for a 3-3/8", how do you plan to fit 5"? On top of that I need even more room to flush them in. It appears to me the only way to fit larger than 3-3/8" is to utilize the angled area at the front edge of the cluster. Everything on that angled ledge would need to be relocated to either somewhere else in the truck or maybe into new locations on the cluster. So basically the new cluster plate that I make would be angled from the front bottom edge of where the angled ledge is now and then up to where the top edge of the cluster plate sits now. Hopefully that makes sense to you.

i understand what you mean. i previously had imaged that my gauges were the same but comparing the 5in to 3 3/8th the rim of the gauge would be against the bottom "beveled" edge and sticking out kind of like this. i wouldnt mind having to pick less gauges in the dash but i would have to find a place for them. the other things on the beveled area would be moved into the steering column so no worries:

which i am ok with. i think it would bring a modern look and bring some curves into this rather flat interior and dash. im looking at the Porsche interior and i would like the 2 large gauges kind of sticking out but then have the rest in the background giving it some sort of depth.

having the center tach gauge x2 for the tach and speedo would be good like this center tach in porsche panamera:

Old 09-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #869
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
i understand what you mean. i previously had imaged that my gauges were the same but comparing the 5in to 3 3/8th the rim of the gauge would be against the bottom "beveled" edge and sticking out kind of like this. i wouldnt mind having to pick less gauges in the dash but i would have to find a place for them. the other things on the beveled area would be moved into the steering column so no worries:

which i am ok with. i think it would bring a modern look and bring some curves into this rather flat interior and dash. im looking at the Porsche interior and i would like the 2 large gauges kind of sticking out but then have the rest in the background giving it some sort of depth.
Yeah, but you can't overlap aftermarket gauges like that. The body is almost the same diameter of the bezel. So basically the bezel of the front gauge wouldn't even hide the bezel of the gauge that's mounted behind it. You have to keep in mind that these OEM gauge setups that you posted pics of are simply a facade on the front. There's no actual "gauge" in there... as in there is no body to the gauge. It's just faces of gauges essentially mounted to a circuit board.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #870
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Yeah, but you can't overlap aftermarket gauges like that. The body is almost the same diameter of the bezel. So basically the bezel of the front gauge wouldn't even hide the bezel of the gauge that's mounted behind it. You have to keep in mind that these OEM gauge setups that you posted pics of are simply a facade on the front. There's no actual "gauge" in there... as in there is no body to the gauge. It's just faces of gauges essentially mounted to a circuit board.
So, you're saying you can remove the gauges from the cups. Mount them on a board and reprogram their sweep?