Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Anybody have experience with thermal intake manifold gaskets?

Like the title says, I was wondering if anybody has any experience with thermal intake manifold gaskets. Here is an example of what I'm talking about 91 98 Nissan 240sx KA24DE Heat Shielding High Performance Intake Manifold Gasket | eBay

Obviously the advertised 10hp and 12ftlbs gains are bullshit but they are supposed to be reusable. I don't really care too much about the power aspect but I am intrigued by the fact that I can reuse it since I do take the intake manifold off every now and then. All of the research I have done gives mixed reviews (mostly from Honda forums). Some people say they are great and others say they don't seal properly.

The gasket is cheap and I am getting ready to put a new motor together so I was considering using one but first I would like to hear from anybody who has experience with them. More specifically did it seal properly and where you able to reuse it? I would hate to have to deal with a mega vacuum leak because of a crappy gimmicky product.

Last edited by Rustys14; 07-20-2013 at 07:16 PM..
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
dawagarage
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dawagarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
datsuns use phenolic (plastic) gaskets for this same purpose, so the theory behind them is correct. trick is to use one from a reputable company, i would assume.

i think xcessive or one of the other zilvia sponsors has developed one, i would go for them instead of ebay. also, you could always put sealer on both sides of the gaskets to reduce chance of a leak. and if theres still a leak you can hit it with a file/sand paper to get any high spots level.

go for it

ratsun: dawa (73 datsun 620)
clublexus: properD (97 sc300)
dawagarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
GeneStarWindGSW
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (21)
GeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
i have one on my car (s14). Personally i don't really notice a different but my gasket did leak by where the coolant runs after driving it for awhile. all i had to do was re-torque the nuts and it was good to go. My head surface was pretty flat so i didn't need to prep it or anything. The re-usability is true, i've taken off my intake manifold a few times to re-clean it and it works fine.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboiblaze View Post
datsuns use phenolic (plastic) gaskets for this same purpose, so the theory behind them is correct. trick is to use one from a reputable company, i would assume.

i think xcessive or one of the other zilvia sponsors has developed one, i would go for them instead of ebay. also, you could always put sealer on both sides of the gaskets to reduce chance of a leak. and if theres still a leak you can hit it with a file/sand paper to get any high spots level.

go for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneStarWindGSW View Post
i have one on my car (s14). Personally i don't really notice a different but my gasket did leak by where the coolant runs after driving it for awhile. all i had to do was re-torque the nuts and it was good to go. My head surface was pretty flat so i didn't need to prep it or anything. The re-usability is true, i've taken off my intake manifold a few times to re-clean it and it works fine.
Good info, thanks! I'm probably going to go ahead and give one a try then. I'll check with some of the vendors and see what they have. Anybody else have any experience with these?
Old 07-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
the gasket is thick enough that you may want to buy some longer intake manifold bolts. I had one of them strip out the first few threads in the head because thats all it grabs with this gasket
(the very tip is all you get inside the head so just installed a slightly longer bolt)
Old 07-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have one from Circuit Sports on my SR20. I used spray gasket on either side and there have been no leaks. Didn't have issues with bolt length, as I was able to torque them down no problem. Haven't removed the manifold since, so I can say anything about reusing them, but I will need to try soon. It was the same price as the OEM gasket, so I figured why not give it a try. I think it is one of the small things that helped me make more power than others with similar setups.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
Jtuned_andy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (27)
Jtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I cant vouch for using one for the SR20 but I used one on my Honda. Some tips to getting a good proper seal are let it sit in the sun for a bit so it becomes a little softer and the manifold will sit better. Also pay extra attention to follow the factory torque procedure because you can crank it down too tight and a.) crack your flange b.) deform the thicker phenolic gasket.

Letting it sit in the 'hot' sun will really help if you screw it up the first time like I did. Cracked the flange AND deformed the gasket but after sitting on the pavement during summer it was good to go again.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #8
zeebrah
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (14)
zeebrah is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
^this
Blow dryer till warm, quickly install, then factory torque sequence.
Biggest sell as you say is reuseability. But would be curious to see some before and after temps of the mani. If youre a baller do it and post
Old 07-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #9
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
they do melt if you get them too hot. I had seen a small streak of the plastic material melted to the insides of the intake runner on an engine once.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

I didn't expect to get so many responses. I'm going to pick one up since it seems like everybody has had a good experience with them.

Heating it up to help with the seal is something I probably wouldn't have thought of on my own but it is a really good idea.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #11
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Anyone want to add on for me if these are compressable?
Seems like most of the replies have been using the gasket without issue and i wanted to make sure i had a good seal when i do install the gasket..

Rtv seems to be overkill and i dont really like using it around the intake valves anyways.. Anyone else care to confirm 0 leaks installing the gasket by itself?
Old 01-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #12
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimateirving View Post
Anyone want to add on for me if these are compressable?
Seems like most of the replies have been using the gasket without issue and i wanted to make sure i had a good seal when i do install the gasket..

Rtv seems to be overkill and i dont really like using it around the intake valves anyways.. Anyone else care to confirm 0 leaks installing the gasket by itself?
Do not use RTV. Do not overtighten. ten+ boost leak checks later it holds fine. But I will not use another one because as I said above- it melted slightly and left a streak of plastic inside the intake manifold once.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #13
hotlavaflow
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
hotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to beholdhotlavaflow is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to hotlavaflow
Had mine since 2007. Reused multiple times with no problems. HP gains?… idk about that but A+ for reusability.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #14
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Do not use RTV. Do not overtighten. ten+ boost leak checks later it holds fine. But I will not use another one because as I said above- it melted slightly and left a streak of plastic inside the intake manifold once.
Must have used ABS or PVC not a Phenolic gasket.

Phenol formaldehyde resin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The binding agent in normal (organic) brake pads, brake shoes and clutch disks are phenolic resin
Old 01-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #15
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Must have used ABS or PVC not a Phenolic gasket.

Phenol formaldehyde resin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
this one
Circuit Sports Thermal Intake Gasket for S13 SR20DET - Enjuku Racing Parts, LLC

In it's defense the engine got hotter than it ever should have.