Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
KA24DE- Hollow cat makes worst noise ever?

I was diagnosing an odd noise coming from a KA24DE (1998) engine. At least, the noise seemed to be coming from the engine. It sounded like pinging, and it was load related, that is, the more you step down, the louder it got.

One idea was ... carbon buildup causing the engine to ping. 2 gallons of water later and 400 miles nothing had changed, but the pistons looked cleaner at least

I also thought it could be the cat, maybe the 15 year old was clogged or broken inside. So i removed the exhaust system and inspection revealed... somebody had hollowed the cat out already. NOT thinking anything of it (how could an empty cat cause such a load related noise???) I put it all back up and kept thinking of other possibilities. I wrote down a few suspected... broken flexplate, something bad in the ignition, something in the head, etc...

But you know how they say try the simplest things first? So I figure what the heck, lets just replace the hollow cat with a $13 test pipe from ebay.

And Walaa... Noise is gone.

Now, I have hollowed out cats before in my day, on a Camaro with a V8 mind you- and never heard of it causing a pinging type of noise. Was wondering what others had experienced in this way?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
Michael E
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Michael E is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
S14's have dummy cat right there, the actual cat is in the downpipe, not sure why they did that. S13's have a cat in the usual spot that you can swap with a test pipe. But yes on a few 4 cyl n/a cars ive had with hollowed out cats make funny raspy noises.

Instagram: @michaelelsea
Michael E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Wait- you mean nobody hollowed out the cat? It comes like that? Did NOT know this. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
iLagX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (40)
iLagX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to iLagX
yeah s14 actual cat is located in the down pipe.

I have a buddy run s13 cat converter on a s14 and it helped him with smog and gets him better MPG.

running 2 cat
Old 01-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Yeah I saw the upper cat. i thought the car had two. So how the heck was it making such an awful racket? Maybe the problem is deeper in the exhaust system, and the hollow cat was amplifying the noise? I know there is some kind of "resonator" but I've got no clue what it does or how it works. Could that be bad making a bad noise? I mean I know what the term resonate means, within reason. I assume it has a noise cancelling effect based on common frequencies produced by the engine during normal operation. I also assume they've "tuned" it somehow, perhaps with a special series of shapes. But I've never looked into it and have no experience with it.