Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
Surffer227
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Surffer227 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
T28 02 housing??

Is the larger elbow for the t25/t28 turbos worth it? Im replacing my t25 with a s15 t28 bb and wondering if I should get a bigger o2 housing or is the stock one flow decent? It's on a ca18det, making 200hp at 10psi on the t25, goin for 250ish on the t28.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Surffer227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
if you have the factory S15 O2 housing I would use that.
The fact that it is cast means that breakage is less likely. And if it's from an S15 then there is no AIV port.
they work good for engines making 300+ horsepower no reason it wont work for you.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
get a bigger/aftermarket one. just like the OEM downpipe, the stock 02 housing is a bit restrictive and made out of very heavy steel to help with not only durability but sound deadening.

regardless of what was said above, ive never broken an 02 housing in all my years of building these stupid cars (heading into year 14 as of March). the easier and bigger the exhaust flow is from the exit side of the turbo, the more power youll make. you want the least amount of back pressure possible from the 02 housing back.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
One thing I would add, buy a QUALITY one. Many of the china/eBay ones have shit flanges any welds, and often times are copies of JDM designs that do not clear a LHD steering column, so you have to hammer the shit out of your brand new part just to make it clear.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
Surffer227
Leaky Injector

Surffer227 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok cool, anyone know were I can pick one up in sfl? I'm planning on doing the install within the next few days :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Surffer227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Plenty of people break their outlets. Even high quality versions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
Thanks for the PN#

Old thread... but there is a reason I'm bringing this back...

Short story time...

Back in 2005, I bought a $50 SS Autochrome Ebay ezpeciale outlet elbow. The welds failed right at the 5-bolt flange. Figured I had gotten exactly what I payed for; so I payed the big bucks for an HKS outlet... Fast forward to recently; when I looked under my hood to locate/fix an exhaust leak and found this:

^^Yup, that's my 'no longer procurable' HKS outlet!

I had thought the failure at the flange was a quality issue. As you can all see, quality wasn't the issue... The issue at hand was not utilizing that bracket.

Bottom line- I was dead wrong in my previous post.

Anyone who may stumble across this thread- Use that bracket, fab one up... whatever you need to do; or something resembling the pic above will be in your future
If you use the heavy duty factory cast version, you wont have to worry about this happening. as much
Old 01-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
I think one of the problems with that happening is if your exhaust is swinging around, all the stress and strain gets placed on these components. If the weakest link happens to be the elbow, that shits gonna break no matter who manufactured it. Lesson is, make sure your exhaust isn't swinging round.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
SlideOrDie831
Zilvia Member

SlideOrDie831 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
I think one of the problems with that happening is if your exhaust is swinging around, all the stress and strain gets placed on these components. If the weakest link happens to be the elbow, that shits gonna break no matter who manufactured it. Lesson is, make sure your exhaust isn't swinging round.
truth me told. there's a body mount on the downpipe for a reason.
SlideOrDie831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideOrDie831 View Post
truth me told. there's a body mount on the downpipe for a reason.
eh, not really. replace your OEM exhaust hangers with the more expensive polyurethane/silicone units and find a downpipe that has a flex section in it.

again, ive never broken an 02 housing, but then again, ive always made sure from downpipe back is always secured properly and updated with parts that either absorb movement properly or help prevent excess movement under spirited driving.

on my last 3 cars i ran a megan 02 housing, my current car runs a circuit sports 02 housing. both of which are the same shit.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote