Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-27-2006, 03:19 AM   #1
vincem
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
vincem is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
engine goes into limp mode when hot, but temp gauge reads normal

Today I was driving to work in the 110degree heat, and my engine started to go into limp mode. It usually does this when my engine is hot, and it's hot out, but my temp gauge doesn't go up when it does this. Is there any thing I can do to help fix this problem?
Usually when it does this, I just pull over and open the hood to cool the engine, and also spray/hose the front of the radiator to cool it down, and it's good to go after 15-20mins.
vincem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2006, 05:03 AM   #2
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
What are you talking about "limp mode?" What are the symptoms?

The factory gauge is crap.. ask Mel (Zar)...

if you're over-heating.. check your thermostat and make sure it isn't sticking... check your water pump...
Old 06-27-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
DrtyRat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
DrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeGuero
The factory gauge is crap.. ask Mel (Zar)...
+1...factory gauge has 3 settings 1. cold 2. good 3. nuclear meltdown...get an aftermarket...autometer will set you back about 50.00, which is worth it for peace of mind
DrtyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
vincem
Leaky Injector

What I meant by "limp mode" is that my car would bog/hesitate when you give it gas. When it does this my car would surge repeatedly from 0-20mph. I don't know about it overheating because my temp gauge reads normal when it does this, but I'll consider buying an aftermarket temp gauage to be on the safe side.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
when is the last time you tuned up the car? how are the spark plugs? new fuel filter?
Old 06-28-2006, 12:45 AM   #6
DrtyRat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
DrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincem
What I meant by "limp mode" is that my car would bog/hesitate when you give it gas. When it does this my car would surge repeatedly from 0-20mph. I don't know about it overheating because my temp gauge reads normal when it does this, but I'll consider buying an aftermarket temp gauage to be on the safe side.
I assure you that the stock temp gauge will read normal even if its overheating....and what about what neme said, are you doing any of the basic things to keep the car running well?
DrtyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:22 AM   #7
DRavenS13
Nissanaholic!

Location: Where angels (and most pizza delivery people) fear to tread.
DRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfectionDRavenS13 is close to perfection
I would invest in an upgrade, my temp gauge didn't warn me and my radiator blew out and overheated the engine, and blew the head gasket. My car was doing the same thing, and then it blew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14Josh View Post
seeing old people give you the finger is like winning the lottery...you still can't believe it happened 4 weeks afterwards.
DRavenS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:27 AM   #8
vincem
Leaky Injector

woops... i accidentally made 2 posts... read the one below.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:30 AM   #9
vincem
Leaky Injector

I recently had an oil change, coolant flush, spark plug/wires done a while ago so I don't know what's wrong. My car runs fine(1hr of driving in 100^^degree heat) when I drive it, but after a while it starts to ping, and then it goes into limp mode as I mentioned above. My coolant overflow doesn't get full when my car does this either.

I'm planning on buying a koyo radiator, zirgo electric fan, nismo tstat, and an autometer water temp gauge, but I don't want to invest my money into these things if it won't help.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
-S13-

-S13- is an unknown quantity at this point
not to bring back a post from the dead, but im having similar issues :/ i just did the timing chain and guides on my car , and it now runs fine for about 10 , to 15 minutes until going into limp mode, but it wont be only at a certain rpm , it will start high (about 4500) then get worse. i replaced the mass air flow sensor, coolant temp sensor, and connector. the car is timed right and i dont believe it is the tps because it is fairly new .any ideas ??
-S13- is offline   Reply With Quote