Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #1231
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
You guys only compare brand new cars or are used cars in the same price range comparable?
I was thinking of picking up the BRZ or the first gen Genesis 3.8, but for the same price range, I ended up prefering a used 07 335i sport. much better handling, way more power and easier to upgrade for less. Price ranges were from $18000-24000
I know the thread is about the new cars but I think it would be wise to keep in mind the price comparison between used cars that would outperform in every aspect these new cars. for the same or less.especially when they still have warranty and are certified by the dealer.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #1232
BarrigaS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
BarrigaS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS14 View Post
You guys only compare brand new cars or are used cars in the same price range comparable?
I was thinking of picking up the BRZ or the first gen Genesis 3.8, but for the same price range, I ended up prefering a used 07 335i sport. much better handling, way more power and easier to upgrade for less. Price ranges were from $18000-24000
I know the thread is about the new cars but I think it would be wise to keep in mind the price comparison between used cars that would outperform in every aspect these new cars. for the same or less.especially when they still have warranty and are certified by the dealer.
The 335i is amazing. I love that engine. My buddy had a automatic and it was quick, wish he had the 6spd.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #1233
Benedict
Zilvia Member

Benedict is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 01-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #1234
whatever210

Trader Rating: (0)
whatever210 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i know this is a old thread but I do like mine. and it drifts very well.

they can make great power just gotta watch the low end tq on these motors
whatever210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #1235
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
^^^What's your take on Kia using the Genesis coupe chassis and engine for the GT4 Stinger concept/possible production car? How are the 2.0T's really holding up to bigger turbos?

Talked to a mechanic this weekend that bashed that motor's ability to handle power pretty bad, so I wanna hear from some owners.

What turbo do you have and how much power you making?
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #1236
whatever210

whatever210 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
^^^What's your take on Kia using the Genesis coupe chassis and engine for the GT4 Stinger concept/possible production car? How are the 2.0T's really holding up to bigger turbos?

Talked to a mechanic this weekend that bashed that motor's ability to handle power pretty bad, so I wanna hear from some owners.

What turbo do you have and how much power you making?
they can use what they want lol. but Hyundai is kia's version of acura and Honda. Hyundai is a better car than Hyundai and they wouldn't want to take away from selling a more expensive car. I doubt this even gets any further than what it is now. genesis was going to actually be its own car company but because they would have to hire hundreds more people and open dealerships it wasn't worth it. they stuck Hyundai on it as their premier car.

the 2.0 hold up well. it really comes down the tuning on these motors. theres one guy running 475hp stock motor and ppl like me running just a little over 350hp. its not the hp that kills the motor on these cars. its the low end tq. the max tq on these motors stock can not be over 350tq. and it usally needs to peak at 4k rpm to keep it safe. tuners know this now and now are able to get more hp out of them without blowing them. I even think theres a guy running holset stock motor 540hp. its all comes down the the tuning.

the motor does have its flaws just like any other stock motor. weak connecting rods with a bad design in IM. but other than that nothing to much to complain about. of course a "mechanic" is going to call the bads out. who brings their perfectly working car to the dealer to complain about it working correctly. they are only going to see the bad ones. if half of the 350z owners seen how many tensioners for the timing chain
ive seen fail with my buddy working at Nissan no body would own one lol.
whatever210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #1237
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
^^^I thought so. Exciting times to be a car enthusiast, I tell you.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #1238
WISH ONE
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
WISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WISH ONE
Whatever10- I beg to differ, I would actually go with KIA being the better of the two. The sister(KIA) model to the Hyundai version always gets the latest in greatest when it comes to suspension tuning, audio, engine updates, software etc.
Example Sonata and Optima, the Optima is a better car.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #1239
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^Good point. So if Kia is the more premium brand, I think we can hang up the idea of the Stinger being priced under $30k.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #1240
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
The way the companies describe it is that Hyundia is the more " Econo Luxury" arm and Kia is the more "Sporty" and "Youthful" side. Which makes sense that Kia get's a coupe.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #1241
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
interesting! so why do both of these brands have the worst resale value??
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #1242
Benedict
Zilvia Member

I just finished a 3 month road trip with my Genesis.

10 states
almost 6,000 miles
4 drift events plus street sliding
all while towing my home built camper containing tires, tools, and everything I own.

2012 3.8
PBM suspension and stock drivetrain
destroyed the PS pump and snapped a RUCA at ASB but otherwise ZERO problems

Not bad for a daily driver.

started at ASB

Berkeley

Horse Thief Mile a few weeks later

Then up to Oregon for Pat's Acres

Vegas for street shenanigans

Back home to Tennessee and another event in Mississippi

VIDEO
Traction Optional's "10 Year Anniversary" Private Day - YouTube
Old 01-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #1243
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersayianjim View Post
Probably due to the factors that determine resale value...Not really sure why that question is being asked.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #1244
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersayianjim View Post
Reputation?

Know what's funny though? I sold my 2011 Genesis coupe for more than my loan was for when I bought it new. True story.

I enjoyed my Gen, handled IMO more like a s-chassis than any other car I test drove when I was looking to buy a new car, which is why I bought one.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #1245
VROOOM
Post Whore!

VROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfection
Hyundai/Kia has bad resale value mostly for 2 reasons. Reputation and the fact that the 100k warranty isnt transferable to the 2nd owner.
VROOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #1246
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
Back home to Tennessee and another event in Mississippi
what event was in mississippi?
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #1247
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Which motor you running? And how much power?

Have me real interested in getting a gen

Edit: nvm missed the stock 3.8 lol

Last edited by iamtheyi; 01-29-2014 at 09:38 AM..
iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #1248
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Gnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
I just finished a 3 month road trip with my Genesis.

10 states
almost 6,000 miles
4 drift events plus street sliding
all while towing my home built camper containing tires, tools, and everything I own.
More pics/details on the home built camper? That's pretty neat.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #1249
Bambi
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Bambi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
2015 coupe looks really nice. The tail lights are sexy.
Originally Posted by Frank_Jaeger View Post
It's impossible because I tried once. Took out 4 telephone polls and a girl scout concession stand. All the thin mints and samoas couldn't even be salvaged.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #1250
Benedict
Zilvia Member

the Mississippi event was at holly springs about 30 minutes south of Memphis tn

motor is 3.8 V6 and all drivetrain is stock with oem lsd

full build thread, camper build, and road trip details here:
my intro: '12 3.8 R-spec on PBM - Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums
Old 01-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #1251
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
holy shit benedict!! you are really dedicated!!! I more than applaud you!!!
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #1252
simmode1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
2015 coupe looks really nice. The tail lights are sexy.
You talking about the HND-9? Did they really confirm that it was going to be the 2015 Genesis coupe? Because, if so.. Mannnnn... Stinger who?

I totally forgot about this car. I thought no way Hyundai would ever build that... But if they're looking to create an entry level slot to fit Kia's GT4 Stinger into while the Genesis coupe goes upmarket.... Makes perfect sense! I doubt it'd be a 2015 model though. We probably would have heard more about it by now...

The HND-9 concept came with a turbo 3.3L V6 making something like 370hp, only 20hp more than the current 3.8L V6. It is becames the next Genesis, I think it's enough to just run their current 350hp V6 as the base engine and their 430hp 5.0 V8 as the premium model. Doesn't need any turbos and this gives plenty of space for the 315hp 2.0t Stinger to run around as sub-$30k...

Hyundai/Kia might be setting up a Checkmate here...
Old 01-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #1253
Benedict
Zilvia Member

thanks man. I love doing retarded road trips.

I drove the Z in my signature picture from the Atlantic in NC to Branson Missouri Z fest a few years ago. Car wrapped in glitter vinyl, tires strapped to the hatch, and sideskirts knocking lane reflectors the whole way.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #1254
innovation
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
innovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really niceinnovation is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm thinking about buying a 2012 Genesis Sedan. The sedan is so nice for a full sized car.

Wish there was more talk about the sedan in this thread...
innovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #1255
WISH ONE
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
WISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WISH ONE
I may be picking up a 2011 2.0t for the next daily, project.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:16 AM   #1256
ghost_silvia
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
ghost_silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovation View Post
I'm thinking about buying a 2012 Genesis Sedan. The sedan is so nice for a full sized car.

Wish there was more talk about the sedan in this thread...
I picked up a 2013 sedan 3 weeks ago 3.8 every option. Word of advice dont buy used cause even with 9k in rebates (34k financed) you'll end up upside down, buy used. I took the 5.0 for a spin but was not that much faster to justify an upsell. V8 cost more maintenance wise but sounds better. Already thinking about trading in for a 2015 sedan.
ghost_silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:20 AM   #1257
z2roll4life7
Zilvia Member

z2roll4life7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Bringing Back from the dead I picked up a 2013 genesis 2.0t to replace my mustang cobra.
It was a better car in every way except in the straightest of lines. I told my self I would never Mod this car but had a feeling Hyundai left some something on the table, because Hyundai was worried that the 2.0 would tread on the 3.8. So I took 100% stock genesis to SFR Usa to have them do a custom dyno tune and here is the results(this is on a Mustang dyno)

Stock
231 hp
256 ft-lbs

After tune
262 hp
275 ft-lbs

Initial impressions
fucking love it

The original tune left something lacking as you approached 5500 rpms up to the rev limit of 6800, now since Jay at SFR worked his magic it pulls wonderfully all the way to its new limit of 7200 it truly feels like a sports car now. This is how Hyundai should of released the car. He made other adjustments to the throttle response and the traction control management and lowered the oil temp requirement to get full boost sooner.

Overall I am impressed at this car even before the tune I realized its different, its spunky and all it wants to do is just go.

So glad I picked this car up

If anyone got any questions about the tune or anything like that just hit me up

Pics

Old 04-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #1258
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^Nice. Numbers are about right in line with where I heard the SFR tune would put down to the wheels.

How much did that tune cost you? I got a buddy with a '10 2.0t GC. He wants to tune it, but can't find any tuners in DFW to touch it without bending him over first. I'm trying to get a sense of if local tuners are overcharging for this car.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #1259
z2roll4life7
Zilvia Member

z2roll4life7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
^^^Nice. Numbers are about right in line with where I heard the SFR tune would put down to the wheels.

How much did that tune cost you? I got a buddy with a '10 2.0t GC. He wants to tune it, but can't find any tuners in DFW to touch it without bending him over first. I'm trying to get a sense of if local tuners are overcharging for this car.
the total was 650, well worth IMHO.
is your buddies car stock?
Old 04-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #1260
simmode1
Post Whore!

Yeah, its stock. Local tuner quoted him something like $2k+. I told him keep looking. That place is notorious for ripping ppl off & overcharging. But they're the only GC game in town that we've found so far.

He's still got the dinky 2010 turbo. I'm gonna recommend be get the Pure Turbos upgrade once we find a reasonable tuner.