Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
Koukiii
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Koukiii is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Dreaded s14 gas tank swap. What parts for subframe refresh?

Hey Guys,

Just bought a nice 97 s14 that is perfect other than the dreaded cracked gas tank problem. Leaks when putting more than 1/4 tank and I commute 25miles each way to work so you can imagine how annoying that is.

Already have another tank to swap in but want to know what kind of parts I should be replacing since im already dropping the entire subframe. Body is super clean but has 162k miles on it so I'm sure the bushings are shot. Also planning on swapping a j30 diff in there at the same time. Pretty much looking for a list of wear items I should be replacing while doing this. It's my daily so I need all the parts before I start the process during the weekend.

Thanks for any help.
Koukiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
Koukiii
Zilvia Junkie

Nobody has refreshed their subframes???
Old 06-28-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
95_S14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (108)
95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 108 reviews
did this really need its own thread ? then again everyone in Florida is a fuck tard that wants to be spoon fed , google it this has been covered time and time again
Old 06-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #4
Koukiii
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95_S14 View Post
did this really need its own thread ? then again everyone in Florida is a fuck tard that wants to be spoon fed , google it this has been covered time and time again
Thanks for the help almighty socal 240 master
Old 06-28-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Well Sun Tzu says
"know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Also you need understanding of Moral Law, Heaven, Earth, The commander, as well as method and discipline.
Thats how you remove s14 gas tank and refresh subframe
Old 06-28-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How to refresh the rear of your s14:

Remove stuff.

Replace with mo' betta stuff.

Not rocket surgery brah.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=340727

Read this. Decide on parts and brands. Shop for deals.

I have refreshed my rear suspension entirely using only this thread but I bought different brands.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
Well Sun Tzu says
"know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Also you need understanding of Moral Law, Heaven, Earth, The commander, as well as method and discipline.
Dude...way overboard. The majority of Miami can only read at a 2nd-grade level.

And that's in Spanish.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #9
jdizzle9

Trader Rating: (1)
jdizzle9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Had to replace my cracked fuel tank a few months ago as well. Mechanic replaced fuel lines and also the bushings.
jdizzle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:38 PM   #10
teh smithers
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
teh smithers is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Search the other threads that have already covered this, and apply as necessary to whatever's worn out on your own subframe.

Also- if it all possible, don't buy cheap shit. I think it's far better to pay extra for the added insurance and peace of mind that comes with high quality parts. Do it once by doing it right.
teh smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #11
Koukiii
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh smithers View Post
Search the other threads that have already covered this, and apply as necessary to whatever's worn out on your own subframe.

Also- if it all possible, don't buy cheap shit. I think it's far better to pay extra for the added insurance and peace of mind that comes with high quality parts. Do it once by doing it right.
Thats for the advice everyone. I have no problem spending the cash on quality parts I just need to know what they all are exactly because I can only afford a weekend of downtime. Didn't want to find any hidden jems that needed replacing and required online ordering.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #12
rbpwrd240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
rbpwrd240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
God Zilvia upsets me. Maybe its cause I'm almost thirty now but all these folks act like high school kids. Maybe because they are??? I remember a time when if you asked a question you actually got relevant answers that helped other then go search or go read this.

Rant over.....

As for what I would also consider doing while under that part of the car I would look at bushings for control arms diff subframe etc heck maybe even a total over haul if the cars going to be down for a while anyway.
Id look at control arms for damage and Ball joint for torn boots and general worn out-ness again I would try to continue around the car here since its down anyway.
If you live near the coast or in a cold climate where road salt is used then consider cleaning and coating your underbody or possibly just the tank and subframe since there already off.
While under there check the pinch welds, exhaust, frame rails and wheel arches for rust.
Check hubs for play and brake rotors for life span (width) doing the pads isn't a bad idea and probably not too expensive.
In the front Id check the tie rods, power steering and rack and pinion boots and seals.
If your gunna upgrade the motor you could stick a walboro fuel pump in it now since your gunna have the tank out.
Fuel filter, cracked lines, worn gaskets etc all should be replaced this should go without saying.

Good Luck

In my experience it seems that a lot goes out at 125-150k miles so 160 is more then needing an overhaul unless it was extremely well maintained.
rbpwrd240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #13
Koukiii
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpwrd240 View Post
God Zilvia upsets me. Maybe its cause I'm almost thirty now but all these folks act like high school kids. Maybe because they are??? I remember a time when if you asked a question you actually got relevant answers that helped other then go search or go read this.

Rant over.....

As for what I would also consider doing while under that part of the car I would look at bushings for control arms diff subframe etc heck maybe even a total over haul if the cars going to be down for a while anyway.
Id look at control arms for damage and Ball joint for torn boots and general worn out-ness again I would try to continue around the car here since its down anyway.
If you live near the coast or in a cold climate where road salt is used then consider cleaning and coating your underbody or possibly just the tank and subframe since there already off.
While under there check the pinch welds, exhaust, frame rails and wheel arches for rust.
Check hubs for play and brake rotors for life span (width) doing the pads isn't a bad idea and probably not too expensive.
In the front Id check the tie rods, power steering and rack and pinion boots and seals.
If your gunna upgrade the motor you could stick a walboro fuel pump in it now since your gunna have the tank out.
Fuel filter, cracked lines, worn gaskets etc all should be replaced this should go without saying.

Good Luck

In my experience it seems that a lot goes out at 125-150k miles so 160 is more then needing an overhaul unless it was extremely well maintained.
Thanks for your relevant post man! Will look into all that.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #14
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpwrd240 View Post
Actually, we're young compared to a lot of the older folks in here....That time that you remember was when the forum was young, and there wasnt that much information out there or it wasn't as easy to find as it is nowadays. We at least had an excuse, these noobs don't, especially for a topic as simple as this.... We're actually making them lazy and affecting them by giving them the answers.
feito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:46 PM   #15
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
I would say it depends how crazy you want to be/go.

New bushings urethane or solid for the actual subframe and diff bushings.

Be a bit more specific next time instead of just posting

"I'm dropping my gas tank. WAT DO"

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #16
Koukiii
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
I would say it depends how crazy you want to be/go.

New bushings urethane or solid for the actual subframe and diff bushings.

Be a bit more specific next time instead of just posting

"I'm dropping my gas tank. WAT DO"
For sure man should have added some more info. I want this to be my long term daily/race car that will be 1j/2j swapped in the future. I already knew I wanted urethane bushings for the subframe and diff but there are always those little tiny wear items that you don't really know about till your taking it apart. That is what my original question was geared towards. I only have the weekend for down time so I needed all the parts on hand.

thanks
Old 06-29-2015, 09:28 AM   #17
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Do you have suspension arms? Maybe replacing some fuel lines and evap stuff? Bushings that go to the control arms or replacing them with solid heim joint stuff?

Without knowing what you have already and what you're considering it's hard to say.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #18
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
bro does the numbers match?

s14 kouki ka-t
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #19
Koukiii
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
Do you have suspension arms? Maybe replacing some fuel lines and evap stuff? Bushings that go to the control arms or replacing them with solid heim joint stuff?

Without knowing what you have already and what you're considering it's hard to say.
She's bone stock down to the air box so I doubt any of the suspension components have been touched. Hopefully soon I can get her on a lift and take a look at everything. Car has 162k on the ODO so I doubt theres much that isn't in need of replacing. Car rides really well surprisingly.

That's a good idea about the fuel lines I'll get that done also. My main goal in the long run is good high speed stability. I don't drift or autocross.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:33 AM   #20
Koukiii
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2nr View Post
bro does the numbers match?
Is this a forum joke or serious question? lol
Old 06-29-2015, 11:36 AM   #21
tacotacotaco
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
tacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tacotacotaco
That posted to the wrong thread

Last edited by tacotacotaco; 06-30-2015 at 11:21 AM..
tacotacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:53 PM   #22
rbpwrd240
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukiii View Post
Is this a forum joke or serious question? lol
Don't feed the troll
Old 06-29-2015, 10:58 PM   #23
rbpwrd240
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
Actually, we're young compared to a lot of the older folks in here....That time that you remember was when the forum was young, and there wasnt that much information out there or it wasn't as easy to find as it is nowadays. We at least had an excuse, these noobs don't, especially for a topic as simple as this.... We're actually making them lazy and affecting them by giving them the answers.

I see that and I know that's true but the attitudes around this place can be down right rude sometime. I don't understand, I thought we were all in this together fight Hondas or domestics or you know. I'm not talking camp songs around the fire while we hold hands but why are folks so mean to one another in here? I don't know.... It just blows me away that the next generation has such a chip on their shoulder that they need to go be a dick to everyone.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
Theodore Rosevelt