Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
How To: Electric Fan Toggle w/ Stock A/C Switch

Hello again Zilvians. Tired of having your electric fans on as soon as you turn your ignition on? Don't want to wire an aftermarket switch and then figure out where to put it inside your car? Well then come no further! I've been putting this little project off for the longest time, and since winter is approaching I finally decided to get it done!

For those of you who DO NOT have A/C in your car and DO NOT plan on getting A/C in your car anytime soon, this is for you! What this modification does is take the stock HVAC A/C Switch button and makes it toggle your electric fan setup on/off. Yay.

First off, I'm going to assume you already have your electric fans wired up with a relay. If you don't know how to wire up your electric fans you can search the forums as it has been beaten to death many a time.

Note: If you have your Relay [86] switch hooked up to your fuel pump wire, please remove it. This is not the proper way, instead wire it the blue wire that is going to your ACC Relay in the relay box on the driver side (S13). Here is an example:

The white wire is joined with the blue ACC wire which forwards to the relay (+) switch.

So now lets get into the mod!

First thing you'll want to do is go into your engine bay and look for this plug...

This plug comes out of the fuse box on the passenger side and originally went into your A/C canister. It has a light green wire and a light green w/ red wire.

Once you locate it, cut the harness off since you won't be needing it. Now take the two wires and join them together with another wire. Once all three wires are twisted together, solder them, and take the one wire and ground it to the chassis. This step is solely for the purpose of making the A/C Switch green light turn on when the switch is pressed. Here is a diagram...

Next step is the tricky one. We need to connect the negative [85] part of your relay switch to the wire that sends out a negative signal when the A/C switch is pushed down. You will have to remove the glove box, which is 4 easy 10mm bolts. Once you have the glove box down, you need to look for the thermo control amp, its a little black box, can't miss it, shown here...

Unplug the harness because it serves no purpose being plugged in if you don't have A/C. Now locate the light green wire w/ black stripe (middle wire) and peel back some of the casing. Connect a new wire to this wire and make sure its long enough. This needs to go back to the engine bay where your electric fan relay is. Don't forget to solder it up nicely and tape efficiently.

Here is the same white wire from the engine bay going into the cabin. You will connect this wire to the [85] spot on your relay, essentially its the negative trigger.

There you go, that's it! Nice and simple. Of course if you have your fans hooked up to a thermal switch this mod is irrelevant but I know a lot of you are running fans always on... So now you have more control of your fans, with a stock appearance.

Good luck! Any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by KiLLeR2001; 10-08-2010 at 05:30 AM..
KiLLeR2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
PIN GIO 2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
PIN GIO 2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PIN GIO 2
OMG! i found it finally! thanks for share with me.
PIN GIO 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
The cool thing about this is you can leave the button pushed in and the fans will kick on when you turn the key to the ON position just as if you had the fans setup for always on. But the ability of this switch now enables you to toggle the fans on/off using the negative signal to relay. If the key isn't in on the ACC or ON position the fans will never kick on due to the fact that the ACC wire only has power when key is in these positions.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:42 AM   #4
ILLES13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (41)
ILLES13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Dope, i'll have to try this!
ILLES13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
PIN GIO 2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
PIN GIO 2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PIN GIO 2
i am doing this now!
PIN GIO 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

I apologize to the S14 owners, this mod is only for the S13... I tried looking through the S14 FSM but it appears the wiring is completely different with the A/C components. If anyone with more knowledge of the S14 wants to chime in on how to do it that would be much appreciated.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
locoluna825
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (27)
locoluna825 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Nice write up. Subscriped. saving this for later....
locoluna825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
i guess im assed out if my hvac has a solid cap on the ac button huh..
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
marks14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
marks14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
with my s14 i used one of my unused relays for the stock e fan.. i spliced it in with the ac relay to turn the unused one on to provide another route for the electricity to ground to have the fans on for a/c. If that makes sense....
marks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
mr.man.performance
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
mr.man.performance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just did this today. Worked like a charm. I think the only thing I did different was heat shrink everything. Had to de-pin the blue accessory wire to slip the heat shrink over. Everything else was cake. Thank you mister KiLLeR2001.
mr.man.performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
mr.man.performance
Leaky Injector

Whoops, spoke too soon. The wire being used for a switched ground (green/black behind glove box) is acting as a constant ground. Ie: no switch. Fans are running off of the ignition accessory switch. *recalculating. *finding alternate route.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
mr.man.performance
Leaky Injector

Okay...figured it out. The lg/b wire does work just fine. Looking through the fsm wiring diags, the ac switch automatically activates when you turn on the main defroster. Silly. So, if you want your fans off, you can use all of the air direction settings, to include the bi directional feet/defroster setting, but the fans will turn on when the main defroster switch is pressed regardless of the ac switch position. yay.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to idahotuner Send a message via MSN to idahotuner
sweet iwill be coming back in to use this to adjust my fan set up
idahotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #14
tibby12
Leaky Injector

tibby12 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just did this in my shop class and nothing happen. Im pretty sure i have all the proper wires hooked up but i dont get anything to happen. Has anyone else completed this mod?? I need some help.
tibby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #15
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Love it! thanks for showing me this
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #16
dil han
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (16)
dil han is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Bump so cool
Old 06-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #17
Nissan2sev

Nissan2sev is an unknown quantity at this point
Am I missing something? I feel like there's a missing step here, I did all that the pic diagrams show and nothing, anybody?
Nissan2sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:04 AM   #18
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan2sev View Post
Am I missing something? I feel like there's a missing step here, I did all that the pic diagrams show and nothing, anybody?
You have to already have your e-fans hooked up to relays before moving onto this How To. Also make sure the polarity of your [85] and [86] poles are correct.

Stock clutch fan to E-fans How To:
http://nissanpure.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
Old 07-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #19
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

bmaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh man this is awesome, I need to get rid of my fan flip switch and install this as my manual override for the thermoswitch. Thanks for this.