Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-16-2021, 05:57 AM   #1
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
NEW Garrett GBC22-300/350: Ultra-high response S15 turbo killer?

Every now and then I jump on the garrettmotion website to check out turbine housing options and such for their latest models. Looks like they just came out with an interesting lineup of very small turbochargers with the latest aero, but journal bearing center sections and ductile iron housings. The two that particularly caught my eye were the GBC22-300 and 350, very small rotor groups capable of 300 and 350hp respectively. These seem like the perfect unit for someone looking for something like an S15 turbo, but with better response and higher output. Looks like retail is around $900 too, so really a bargain all around!

https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing...ine-gbc22-350/

https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...egory_Code=GBC

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2021, 06:52 AM   #2
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
sweet. Thanks for digging that up
Old 09-16-2021, 07:30 AM   #3
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n

Looks like a def 280rwhp maybe 300rwhp so spot on for s15 turbo with an edge

not bad but I'll never go back XD
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:59 AM   #4
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Looks like a def 280rwhp maybe 300rwhp so spot on for s15 turbo with an edge

not bad but I'll never go back XD
Hahaha, the turbine flows another ~1.5lb/min of air over the 2560 too!

Old 09-16-2021, 03:44 PM   #5
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Oh man, one of these would be sweet for a low power seat time drift car or street car. If I weren't trying to purchase a house I'd snag one for my S13!

Have a VG30DE laying around for my Z32 as well, a pair of the 300hp rated ones would surely make for an interesting TT setup! All of the twins capable of this power will run you well past $2500, but these make a compelling option for under $2k and probably outperform the competition in every aspect!

Oh man, they are oil cooled too which could clean things up on most simple setups! Not that two coolant lines on an SR cause much headache, but the engines that originally don't have a coolant feed/return it is a huge plus.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:59 PM   #6
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
this would be killer for a stock block sr20 with MHG, cams, 740cc injectors, etc

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:51 AM   #7
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
d clean things up on most simple setups! Not that two coolant lines on an SR cause much headache, but the engines that originally don't have a coolant feed/return it is a huge plus.
Yeah for sure! Makes me think about a super simple KA-T setup in a seat time car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
this would be killer for a stock block sr20 with MHG, cams, 740cc injectors, etc
Right? The only thing that would need to be checked is if the compressor housing can be clocked correctly to clear the stock manifold with the wastegate actuator where it is. I don't think it would be an issue with aftermarket manifolds.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:32 AM   #8
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I've been searching for a .64 a/r 2871 for a little now and have pretty much only been set on older period-correct turbos but the performance, SR compatibility, and price have peaked my interest in this piece.
Thursday7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:01 PM   #9
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Yeah for sure! Makes me think about a super simple KA-T setup in a seat time car!

Right? The only thing that would need to be checked is if the compressor housing can be clocked correctly to clear the stock manifold with the wastegate actuator where it is. I don't think it would be an issue with aftermarket manifolds.
Nah, just run the charge pipe into the frame rail. Get yourself a pop-tune and some other assorted bits off amazon, and you're all set.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:55 PM   #10
na6miata

Trader Rating: (0)
na6miata is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone get one of these yet? Recently blew my T28 on my silvia and this is looking like a really compelling option. May have to jump on one to try out and see how it does
na6miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:28 PM   #11
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
I've been searching for a .64 a/r 2871 for a little now and have pretty much only been set on older period-correct turbos but the performance, SR compatibility, and price have peaked my interest in this piece.
They're actually on sale/clearance. Going to pm you.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:02 AM   #12
barnyard240sx

barnyard240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone have any experience with these yet? Still waiting on reviews/dyno before I buy one
barnyard240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:26 PM   #13
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
I've sold one and checked it out in person. Great quality I've yet to see someone install it though.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:59 AM   #14
Farzam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looked in SR POWERED facebook group (awesome resource) and couldn't find anything. Also curious to see how this would do on an SR.
Old 04-05-2022, 11:03 AM   #15
na6miata

na6miata is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzam View Post
Looked in SR POWERED facebook group (awesome resource) and couldn't find anything. Also curious to see how this would do on an SR.
I spoke with my Garrett distributor and he said it is gonna be a bit small for an SR and fall off pretty hard on the top end, they were mostly designed for powersport applications. Ended up going with a GTX2867R and still very responsive and makes great power
na6miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:13 PM   #16
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by na6miata View Post
I spoke with my Garrett distributor and he said it is gonna be a bit small for an SR and fall off pretty hard on the top end, they were mostly designed for powersport applications. Ended up going with a GTX2867R and still very responsive and makes great power
S15 turbo does the same thing lol. For $700 you cant really complain.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:57 AM   #17
Farzam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30gangsta View Post
I've always been a fan of a properly sorted SR with S15 T28 BB, but i'm down to experiment with newer tech and see what comes of it. Crazy to me that an SR is still a relevant and competent engine in 2022 with the right tweaks. Saw a 1767hp billet SR drag car the other day and it still had a factory crank lol
Old 04-06-2022, 09:32 AM   #18
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzam View Post
I've always been a fan of a properly sorted SR with S15 T28 BB, but i'm down to experiment with newer tech and see what comes of it. Crazy to me that an SR is still a relevant and competent engine in 2022 with the right tweaks. Saw a 1767hp billet SR drag car the other day and it still had a factory crank lol
The stock crank is super beefy. There is no need to upgrade that part unless you want to increase stroke/displacement.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:16 AM   #19
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Quote:
I've sold one and checked it out in person. Great quality I've yet to see someone install it though.
:WAVE:

Picked up a 22-350. going to be popping it on a s14 sr20de with MHG/studs, 740's and flex fuel. Will report back when there are numbers.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:16 AM   #20
Pain

Pain is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone know if SR20 fan clutch/water pump studs fit the KA?
Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:32 AM   #21
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain View Post
Anyone know if SR20 fan clutch/water pump studs fit the KA?
Wrong thread. Post here:
https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=297481
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:19 PM   #22
Pain

Pain is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
My bad thought I had posted on there lol
Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:07 AM   #23
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by na6miata View Post
Quote:
Exactly. You would go with this turbo if you wanted that OEM drive-ability but just enhanced, and didn’t want to fork over the cash for a GTX2860 Gen II or G25-550.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_s13 View Post
:WAVE:

Picked up a 22-350. going to be popping it on a s14 sr20de with MHG/studs, 740's and flex fuel. Will report back when there are numbers.
Please do! My friends over at Whalen?s Speed just ran one on a Can-Am and it made 340hp at the hubs on race gas (expected to make 360 on ethanol). So we know the compressor works as intended. It?ll just be a matter of which wheel hits it?s limit on a two liter first.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:26 AM   #24
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Exactly. You would go with this turbo if you wanted that OEM drive-ability but just enhanced, and didn?t want to fork over the cash for a GTX2860 Gen II or G25-550.

Please do! My friends over at Whalen?s Speed just ran one on a Can-Am and it made 340hp at the hubs on race gas (expected to make 360 on ethanol). So we know the compressor works as intended. It?ll just be a matter of which wheel hits it?s limit on a two liter first.
For sure! Sounds promising. I figured it would just be a spicier s15 turbo.
I'm looking for 300wheel with good response, so it made sense. Are they running them with the internal gates? No issues to report with being able to bleed enough exhaust?
Old 04-07-2022, 10:38 AM   #25
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Quote:
Are they running them with the internal gates? No issues to report with being able to bleed enough exhaust?
Hopefully the internal gate works well and as intended. Got into a facebook fight a few months ago about this. Saying because Garrett engineers designed it that they work perfect in every application. And that Jimmy Oakes' video documenting the issue he was having on his turbo NA SR, or the years of forum miata forum posts wasn't enough supporting data. That was enough internet for me that day.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 01:27 PM   #26
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
For sure! Sounds promising. I figured it would just be a spicier s15 turbo.
I'm looking for 300wheel with good response, so it made sense. Are they running them with the internal gates? No issues to report with being able to bleed enough exhaust?
They are, but they?re also 900cc three cylinders that rev to 9000rpm, so a little different haha.

Old 04-08-2022, 02:55 PM   #27
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Hopefully the internal gate works well and as intended. Got into a facebook fight a few months ago about this. Saying because Garrett engineers designed it that they work perfect in every application. And that Jimmy Oakes' video documenting the issue he was having on his turbo NA SR, or the years of forum miata forum posts wasn't enough supporting data. That was enough internet for me that day.
Tbh I think the internal gates on the borg turbos are just in a better location. Which helps with creep etc. I'm a big EFR fan even though they typically do not make the most power for their size, but when it comes to drivability its the ticket.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:42 AM   #28
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

This is probably a big pic, but here is it next to a Gen II 2860.

Old 04-11-2022, 06:13 AM   #29
blankblank

blankblank is an unknown quantity at this point
Related but not...what's that 5 bolt to v band adaptor all about.
blankblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:58 AM   #30
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankblank View Post
Related but not...what's that 5 bolt to v band adaptor all about.
Literally just that. It adapts from the 5 bolt flange, to vband for ease of serviceability.