Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 02-06-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
mademan

Trader Rating: (0)
mademan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mademan
Is ebay right for me?

I need to raise some cash very quickly because within the next month i have to pay $2500 for my level 2 financial analyst certification. I'm in the process of doing empirical research on the CAPM, so i have no time for a job. I have a yachtmaster rolex that i really want to sell, but i dont know if i want to go through ebay. I've never sold anything on ebay before, but i realize that people have ratings. Since i've never sold anything, i wouldnt have a rating and i dont think anybody would buy off of me. What should i do?
mademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2005, 06:39 PM   #2
SilviaNinja240
Zilvia FREAK!

SilviaNinja240 will become famous soon enoughSilviaNinja240 will become famous soon enoughSilviaNinja240 will become famous soon enough
It's possible, if its a high priced item you might not get too many bidders. But I have a pretty low rating level and have sold items that are hundreds of dollars. I'd give it a shot, it wouldn't hurt. You can always put it up in your paper's classifieds too
Old 02-06-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
DocTaDrifT
Zilvia Addict

DocTaDrifT is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to DocTaDrifT Send a message via AIM to DocTaDrifT
pawn shop it
DocTaDrifT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 07:14 PM   #4
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mademan
I have a yachtmaster rolex that i really want to sell, but i dont know if i want to go through ebay.
Ebay? All you gotta do is find an up and coming rapper

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 08:33 PM   #5
DocTaDrifT
Zilvia Addict

DocTaDrifT is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to DocTaDrifT Send a message via AIM to DocTaDrifT
hahahhaha.....
DocTaDrifT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:16 PM   #6
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
Pawnshop would be the last place I would take a frickin Rolex. Maybe a high level consignment of sort(its not a pawnshop!) but good luck on ebay. Thats where I would go probably. If it was a gift I wouldnt get rid of it though, there are other ways for money..
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:26 PM   #7
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You're a financial analyst and can't raise some cash???

All Rolexes on ebay are fake... Find a local Rolex dealer and sell it to them. Make sure you have the Box and Cert with it. They should give you the most you'll see for it.
http://www.rolex.com/
S14DB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 09:03 PM   #8
mademan

Quote:
You're a financial analyst and can't raise some cash???
not yet a financial analyst, i'm only level 1 certified. i just took that test, cost $1400, 6 months of studying 12 books for a 6 hour exam, all on top of a 18 credit semester. The level 2 certification is gonna run me about $2500. After level 2, i need 2 years of work experience and more $$$ to take my level 3 certification exam. I dont work because i spend all of my time doing research, because unlike most finance majors i plan to get my PhD so i have a third option of teaching college level as a contingency plan. I know a shitload about the stock market and have done tons of analysis work and consulting work for friends, relatives, etc... but until i'm out of school most of my money goes to my schooling (its a sad pathetic bookworm story).

Thanks for the advice though, i was curious as if ebay would work. I do have the original box, swiss certification, paperwork, a dumb little anchor keychain, etc... that came with it. The only problem with my local rolex dealer, is that they dont buy straight up, they want you to trade up to a piece of merchandise at twice the value of your trade-in. That would be ok if i was looking to spend like another $5000 for jewelry or a watch or something, but i really just need the cash.

I'm gonna give it a shot on ebay, what the hell, i can set a reserve. If all the rolex's on ebay are fake, would i be able to get the money i want for my watch even though its genuine and most of the market is saturated with fakes? I know my watch has like multiple serial numbers, so i can definately prove the autheticity of it, just want to make sure i sell it.

Ryan
Old 02-07-2005, 09:27 PM   #9
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Jeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond repute
I'm an ebay Trading Assistant, with a 4 year old account that currently does $5k/month in business. A trading assistant sells people's stuff for them. It's proven that my account, with 412 feedback, 100% positive will get more money for an authentic Rolex - than a new account will.
If I can be of service to you, please email me, pm me, or find me on AIM.
Since you seem new here, I'm not banned, that's an inside joke. I'm a moderator on Zilvia.
-Jeff
Old 02-07-2005, 09:34 PM   #10
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I was exagerating. I don't think you'll get the full value on ebay. I think the dealer is full of themselfs. I have gone back and forth with my dealer for some time now. As long as you have the box and cert then you should get FMV. Most dealers will take it for the hope that you'll get another. Cause used Rolexes hold their value unless a sucked buys it for retail(upto $1k more) they won't make as much as a new watch.

If you want, PM me and I should be able to get you the FMV.
S14DB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:43 PM   #11
sr240mike
Zilvia FREAK!

sr240mike is making a name for him/her selfsr240mike is making a name for him/her selfsr240mike is making a name for him/her self
I've sold a few Yachtmasters as an ebay Trading Assistant with a company that recently went under. If you attempt to sell this yourself, makes sure you use very nice pics, html, certificate of authenticity, and all original packaging you have. Trading assistants charge between 25%-50%+. The pawnshop will not give you what you could get for it on ebay, neither will a jewelery consignment. To accurately price the watch on Ebay, click on advanced search, then search for completed listings for Yachtmaster. That should give you a range of what they are selling for.

TWO IN THE COOT, ONE IN THE POOT
sr240mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:07 PM   #12
mademan

Thanks for all of the advice. As far as i know, prices should have just went up and so i estimate the new retail for yachtmasters to be around $7250 based on past year start increases. I think i'm gonna try to sell some other stuff on ebay first, i do have some stuff i need to clean out of my place, so maybe if i can get a decent feedback i can establish a slight reputation and be able to sell without any problems.

Thanks again for all the feedback

Ryan