Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-13-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
240sxhed
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
240sxhed is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s13 Another Freakin VLSD thread

Ok heres the deal, ive been getting mixed answers to this question. My car leaves two stripes when doing a straight burn out and when sideways (IE Turning the wheel to one side and dropping the clutch and spining around, I did this today in a parking lot).
However a friend who is a mechanic said to jack it up and spin the wheel. I did there was some resistance to turn the wheel but the other wheel did not move. He then said this meant open diff.
However another friend who is a mechanic said this deffinately means VLSD and the other tire not movein simply meant it was not locked. Also a friend with a 350Z that deffinately has a VLSD did the same test and his opposite wheel hardly moved at all either.
whats the deal here?
thanks alot guys.
Ryan
Old 06-13-2005, 08:37 PM   #2
d4vech3n
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
d4vech3n is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you have vlsd, it should still move the other wheel when jacked up. Either you guys had VLSD and it is now blown or you guys have open diff. It is possible for both wheels to spin on a burnout with an open diff.
d4vech3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:45 PM   #3
boosteds13
Zilvia Addict

boosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really nice
You sure that 350Z had the lsd? AFAIK, only the track models came with it. I have an LSD in mine and both wheels spin in the same direction with little effort.

boosteds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:50 PM   #4
240sxhed
Leaky Injector

s13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosteds13
You sure that 350Z had the lsd? AFAIK, only the track models came with it. I have an LSD in mine and both wheels spin in the same direction with little effort.
yeah im sure..... all models of 350Z except for the base model come standard with a VLSD. He has the performance model.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:15 AM   #5
BobbyBoy
Zilvia Junkie

BobbyBoy is making a name for him/her selfBobbyBoy is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to BobbyBoy
In order for the other wheel to spin, you would have to spin the viscous sludge in the diff to rotate the other wheel's plate. Spinning the wheel by hand is probably not enough torque to do so.

Your mechanic friend is probably used to domestics with lockers and hardcore posi. Or you have an open diff.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:40 AM   #6
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
I thought with open diff the other wheel spins opposite direction when you turn one wheel by hand?
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:37 AM   #7
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
that is true also.......... maybe ur diff is shot
Old 06-14-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
2JZGTE
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 2JZGTE Send a message via MSN to 2JZGTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by theicecreamdan
I thought with open diff the other wheel spins opposite direction when you turn one wheel by hand?
True, spinning one wheel on my open diff. caused other wheel to spin opposite direction.

Spinning one wheel by hand on my J30 viscous causes other wheel to spin in same direction (rear lifted of course). Sounds like you have the viscous but it's on its way out maybe? Good luck.

Billy

R35 GT-R, R32 GT-R, Supra, S13, S14, FD3S
2JZGTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:17 PM   #9
240Driver39
Zilvia FREAK!

240Driver39 is making a name for him/her self240Driver39 is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to 240Driver39
if the car is what is listed in your sig and you didnt put the vlsd there, then no.

anyhow, there are a ton of easy ways to figure it out on the s13, search
Old 06-14-2005, 08:10 PM   #10
240sxhed
Leaky Injector

s13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Driver39
if the car is what is listed in your sig and you didnt put the vlsd there, then no.

anyhow, there are a ton of easy ways to figure it out on the s13, search
haha, the only thing that is on my car that is deffinately an 89 is the vin, nothing i mean nothing on my car came on an 89. down to the smallest interior differences. All from 91 and up. It is reconstructed. so who knows , im leaning towards an old VLSD that is on its way out.