Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #4321
DoobieS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
DoobieS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterps13 View Post
Honestly, if I were to do it again, I would do a completely hidden setup. Fiberglass an enclosure in the spare tire well, use a single flat mounted 10" and hide the amp, and then use a grill and carpet over it.

But then again Ide rather just spend money on a good 4 channel amp and great components to acheieve better sound quality rather than just head slamming bass.
My buddy's PS13, i like it:
DoobieS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #4322
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Here you go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329248005.221108.jpg (99.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329248021.644370.jpg (108.3 KB, 56 views)
Old 02-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #4323
slydin240sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
slydin240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Spool View Post
seriously... that stuff looks awful in every Acura and Lexus ever made... why not do some of that rad blackwood stuff instead?
LOL I never said I liked his choice of wood grain. I agree it's hideous!!
slydin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #4324
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slydin240sx View Post
LOL I never said I liked his choice of wood grain. I agree it's hideous!!
Yeah it's definitely not for everyone. It's going to work well in my car though I know, and it certainly won't look cheap like the stick on stuff that peels apart after a few months. I'll post some photos when i get it all back together. A black/gunmetal looking burlwood would look pretty good I think too.
silviaks2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #4325
xBtony
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
xBtony is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
New steering wheel set up.

xBtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #4326
nujabe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
nujabe can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Maybe on thursday I'll get my steering wheel set up
nujabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #4327
leung
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (73)
leung is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Looool S13 wheel in an S14
leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #4328
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
So just out of curiosity why are you guys posting pics of your interior when you know it looks like shit and has wires ran everywhere and she is half taken apart and then think its ok because you say "I"m going to finish it next week"?? Why not wait till next week to every post it??? Its like posting a car on stock hubcaps in the wheel fitment thread and saying "getting ready for new wheels"
Old 02-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #4329
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by holemilk00 View Post
So just out of curiosity why are you guys posting pics of your interior when you know it looks like shit and has wires ran everywhere and she is half taken apart and then think its ok because you say "I"m going to finish it next week"?? Why not wait till next week to every post it??? Its like posting a car on stock hubcaps in the wheel fitment thread and saying "getting ready for new wheels"
Do you have any idea how many times I have to bite my tongue while browsing this thread!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieS13 View Post
My buddy's PS13, i like it:
While the thought is there, that thing is ugly as sin.

I'm pretty sure this is what Ryan(whiterps13) had in mind:

The trunk mat then goes over this and it looks as though nothing is even in the trunk....

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #4330
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
I want something like that in my S14 but I don't know any shops down here I can trust. haha
Old 02-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #4331
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
I want something like that in my S14 but I don't know any shops down here I can trust. haha
Yeah, it's a slick setup.... and sounds REALLY good being fiberglass. If it looks funny it's because my friend I did it for had me cover it the metal floor of the trunk and the actual enclosure in matching grey carpet. But then my other friend bought it from him and had me upholster all of the trunk panels in black carpet. He had me leave the floor though since you couldn't see it under the floor mat, which I also recovered in black carpet.

My old STi:

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #4332
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Yeah I had something like that built in my zenki that I sold with one 10" in it. But it wasn't built correctly and from me putting my golf clubs in and out of the car collapsed the box. Hence me being hesitant to have another one done. Because the last one was a close to $400 for just the custom box that failed. How much should something like that really cost??
Old 02-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #4333
Jonathong
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
Jonathong is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Yeah, it's a slick setup.... and sounds REALLY good being fiberglass. If it looks funny it's because my friend I did it for had me cover it the metal floor of the trunk and the actual enclosure in matching grey carpet. But then my other friend bought it from him and had me upholster all of the trunk panels in black carpet. He had me leave the floor though since you couldn't see it under the floor mat, which I also recovered in black carpet.

My old STi:

I really like this setup, and would love to have something like this in my s14, is there a way I could somehow pull this off using wood and my wheel well? SInce I dont mess with fiberglass or have a shop around me that good do something like this. Or if not know any other sleeek ways to put a sub in my trunk?
Jonathong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #4334
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JaredP is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
^^^it wouldnt work the same, but i've heard of people making a wooden frame and using expanding foam to fill any air gaps to "seal" the spare tire well to the wooden false floor. like i said not as good as fg but it may work
JaredP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #4335
Jonathong
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
Jonathong is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredP View Post
^^^it wouldnt work the same, but i've heard of people making a wooden frame and using expanding foam to fill any air gaps to "seal" the spare tire well to the wooden false floor. like i said not as good as fg but it may work
Was just reading some setups like this with wood and thats exactly what they did, Hmm thinking about doing the same or try and build a box that will fit on the left or right side of the trunk of my s14, something like this.

Jonathong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #4336
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JaredP is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
the problem with having a box on the side, is that you lose trunk space..not like theres much in these cars anyway (unless you have a hatch, but even then). toby's way still retains the space, and with grills over the speakers they should remain unharmed. just dont go loading golf clubs and collapsing the box, or have it built a bit sturdier
JaredP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #4337
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Yeah I had something like that built in my zenki that I sold with one 10" in it. But it wasn't built correctly and from me putting my golf clubs in and out of the car collapsed the box. Hence me being hesitant to have another one done. Because the last one was a close to $400 for just the custom box that failed. How much should something like that really cost??
Whoa, whoa... collapsed? I could literally drive a car over the boxes I build. Like the enclosure you see in the S14, I would charge $300 labor + materials. So probably around $360 or so. If you need custom press fit metal mesh grills for example then the price would go up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathong View Post
I really like this setup, and would love to have something like this in my s14, is there a way I could somehow pull this off using wood and my wheel well? SInce I dont mess with fiberglass or have a shop around me that good do something like this. Or if not know any other sleeek ways to put a sub in my trunk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredP View Post
Hang on guys, I'm in the process of typing a reply on what you can do for cheap and good, but you guys are replying too fast. I'll have it posted up here in a few minutes.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #4338
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathong View Post
Was just reading some setups like this with wood and thats exactly what they did, Hmm thinking about doing the same or try and build a box that will fit on the left or right side of the trunk of my s14, something like this.

[IMG]http://sirgtir.orconhosting.net.nz/Car%20stuff/S14%20sub%20box%202%20small.JPG[/IG]
yeah I really wish someone would just make a little box like that and sell it for 100~150 bucks or so
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #4339
nujabe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
nujabe can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by leung View Post
Looool S13 wheel in an S14
my shell did not come with a wheel =( im finally finishing my steering wheel setup this week.. other then that i am happy with my shit interior..
nujabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #4340
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Ok, here is what you can do, which I have done many times before for customers who wanted a cheaper option but still up to standards:

The result will basically be the same as an actual enclosure like in the S14 and STi above. However, it will be permanent to the vehicle... short of taking a sledge hammer and grinder to it.
  1. Sound deaden the crap out of the well... floor and sides. But stop on the sides about 1.5" down from the trunk floor.
  2. I would use at least 2-3 layers of Second Skin Damplifier Pro or similar.
  3. Cut a 3/4" MDF board that will sit in the spare tire well, but flush with floor of the trunk. We will call this board-A. The whole point is to get it close to the exact shape of the well opening.
  4. It will basically be the same as the top plate I use on the actual full enclosure I make.
  5. You want to angle the cut if you can since the well slopes in a little from the top edge. This angle will keep the board from falling in once it's the correct size. You will need to do a rough cut then test fit, then cut some more and test fit. Keep doing this until it almost sits flush with the trunk floor.
  6. I would recommend screwing a couple screws into the top of board-A so you have something to grab onto. Because once board-A starts to fit good enough to flush down in it may be difficult to get a hold of an edge to pull it back out. Obviously do not let the screws go all of the way through board-A.
  7. This process may take a little bit but it needs to be flush with the floor. Don't worry about small gaps around the edges. You just want to make sure board-A is flush. You will end up with spots that have up to a 1/4" gap just because the well is very contoured all the way around. Again, don't worry.
  8. Once board-A sits in there flush it should stay there on it's own.
  9. Now you can figure out where the sub(s) need to sit. The whole point to this is that everything sits under the OEM mat. So you will need to flush the subs into board-A.
  10. To do this, lay the subs upside down on board-A where they need to go.
  11. Trace the outside of sub basket and cut this out.
  12. Cut the hole(s) slightly large to account for whatever material(carpet etc.), if any, you are going to finish this off in.
  13. Cut another piece of 3/4" MDF large enough to cover the hole(s) by at least an inch all the way around. We will call this board-B. So if you are doing two subs you will basically cut a rectangular board-B.
  14. This piece will actually be what the subs mount to.
  15. Temporarily mount board-B to the bottom of board-A with a couple of screws and trace your cutouts onto board-B.
  16. Remove board-B.
  17. Now mark the diameter of the sub cutout into the center of the circles you just made on board-B.
  18. Cut out the smaller circle(s) on board-B and make sure your sub(s) snuggly fit in there. Do not mount subs yet.
  19. Now reattach board-B to the bottom of board-A and make sure the smaller cutout(s) are center in the larger cutouts. You can now see where this is going.
  20. Some subs are so thick that you may need additional spacing between board-A and board-B. You would simply make another board-B of whatever thickness you need, but this time duplicate the larger cutouts on it.
  21. Once everything looks good attach board-A and board-B permanently. This is done with wood glue and screws. Smear glue all over board-B and bond it to board-A. You want to use screws that are just shorter than what you are screwing together. If you used two 3/4" boards then use 1-1/4" screws. ALWAYS pre-drill.
  22. Set the assembly in the trunk and admire what it's going to look like.
  23. Take strips of sound deadening and run a layer or two on the inside of the well where the bottom of the board meets the metal of the well all the way around. You will obviously need to do this through the sub cutouts. The purpose of this sound deadening is revealed in a couple steps.
  24. Now you can cut up a bunch of fiberglass mat then fiberglass that sucker to the car.
  25. The fiberglass will bond the board to the metal and in the process seal up all of the holes. Obviously you will need multiple layers in certain areas. If you have large gaps you can chop the mat and stuff it down in the gap, then poor your resin in there.
  26. Note, this is where that 2nd sound deadening step comes into play. It will help keep resin from dripping down into the well through all of the gaps. Not that it will hurt anything, but it will keep you from wasting resin and having to keep going over it with more resin just to try and seal the gap.
  27. Once it dries and you are satisfied that all of the gaps are filled, you can take an air sander and grind down the high spots of fiberglass to make the floor level.
  28. I would recommend drilling a small hole in the enclosure towards the front of the car to get speaker wire into the enclosure. Make sure you seal the speaker wire to the enclosure.
  29. Be smart and don't just have the speaker wire coming up in the middle of the box like a fountain. You want it to be as unobtrusiveness as possible.
  30. Now you can simply carpet the entire floor, if you choose, to give it a nice finished look.
  31. Cut the carpet out of the speaker holes. Most speaker box carpet will stretch really well and you will be able to stretch it down into the counter sunk area.
  32. Wire up your subs and pop them in.

Options:
You can get creative and incorporate grill material etc. You may need to consider this if you still want to just throw crap in the trunk.

Please ask if you have any questions. I numbered them so you can refer to the number if you have a question about a particular step. This is a long list but you should be able to complete it in an afternoon.... depending on drying times etc. If you think this looks daunting then you definitely do not want to attempt a full removable fiberglass enclosure.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #4341
killer240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
killer240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
theres a thread for all this crap ya know...

anyways, did they ever made bride zeta I in red(seat cover)?
killer240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #4342
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer240 View Post
theres a thread for all this crap ya know...

anyways, did they ever made bride zeta I in red(seat cover)?
What, you mad because we're not talking about Bride seats or posting pictures of crappy interiors?

Last I checked audio was part of the interior just as must as aftermarket gauges.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #4343
gotta240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Just FYI- Although I do this stuff on my own, I HIGHLY respect you for

1. Doing AWESOME WORK

2. STILL showing others how to do work for themselves.

Most people who do work of your quality are not about to share it with others..... Most people who are willing to share their secrets do shitty work. You on the other hand do great work, and share your tips with others. Because of this, I do not hesitate to refer others to you......Good job sir.

Quote:
What, you mad because we're not talking about Bride seats or posting pictures of crappy interiors?

Last I checked audio was part of the interior just as must as aftermarket gauges.
gotta240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #4344
killer240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
killer240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Quote:

all im saying is theres a thread for audio
killer240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #4345
rat240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (87)
rat240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 87 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
what's up woodgrain?

how did you do that i must know
Old 02-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #4346
Quail
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Quail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Quail
Great post Toby. I may attempt this as a project for my daily!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:13 AM   #4347
EMPANADAZ
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
EMPANADAZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
EMPANADAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #4348
DoobieS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
DoobieS13 is an unknown quantity at this point