Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-20-2006, 05:15 AM   #31
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet
Again, best roller job i've seen George. :thumbs up:

Questions:

-What did you do as far as keeping dust from sticking onto the paint when you were letting it dry over night?

-In the last pic, it looks very good even though im sure there is orange peal. Im assuming you got that shine from wetsanding, so was there any sanding marks with the wetsand that requires buffing afterwards? I have to check it out in person some day =D

I really couldn't keep dust and bugs off the car...I swear bugs love getting stuck on the paint. My biggest worry was a bird taking a crap on my car...glad that didn't happen. For dust what I did was use a tack cloth and for bugs...well I had to sand them down. After wetsanding I do get marks, but that is where polishing compound and buffing comes into play to fill those hairline marks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo240SX
how far is woodbridge from 24354?
305 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter808
how does this technique hold up on urethane bumpers? will it chip real easily? if it hold up good i might do this pretty soon.
Well...the paint is really soft since it cures very slow. I drove my car like this for two days and no chips..but if I took a knife and cut away I would remove the paint. It does hold well to urethane, but if your existing paint has cracks...then it will show. Fortunately mine are not at very visble areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo240SX
why can't you use metallic again? i would do this if i could use metallic. could you not mix metallic flake when thinning the paint with the mineral spirits? great job... buff that thing and give us a pic, please!!!
Because it will look very uneven using a roller....now people have used a Wagner HVLP electric gun that yield good results. I couldn't do this because of my confined area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognition
So you actually just painted your car by hand and made all that mess in that nice clean parking lot just to save about $150? With a paint roller? I mean it looks okay in the picture, but so does a Monet. Until you get up close. There is a reason they have body shops. So they can control things like the mess you made. I hate to say this to you, but while you might have saved a couple bucks,
it is really irresponsible to do something like that. Of course your HOA is going to be pissed. They pay good money for that asphalt parking lot.
Just think you should be more responsible while you do things to your car.
I saved for than $150, I had my car painted by three different shops and none of them can match my OEM paint...on top of that the paint from the front end and bumper was chipping. As for the mess I made, I have good intentions to clean up with a pressure washer. That was my idea right from the start, and the Mazdaspeed 6 parked next to me got none of my paint on it...and that car is black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmercer
lol home owners association on your ass? what did they say?
I'm abusing a vistor space, running enviromental risk to residents and pets, remove car from parking space or we will tow it....something along those lines.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2006, 06:01 AM   #32
Anto
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Anto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wow! That's grrrreat!

A few questions:

What color paint did you use? Semi-gloss / Canvas / Flat / Gloss?

And does that color look straight WHITE or kinda pearl / canvas?
Anto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:21 AM   #33
justinhustle
Nissanaholic!

justinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enough
good work my friend, you know i had a few doubts, but it came out very wll done

justinhustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:42 AM   #34
TurK
Zilvia Addict

TurK is making his/her stupidity well-knownTurK is making his/her stupidity well-knownTurK is making his/her stupidity well-knownTurK is making his/her stupidity well-knownTurK is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to TurK
i thought the whole concept behind your name was keeping things simple? that dont look too "simple" to me

TurK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:08 AM   #35
P4rD0nM3
Zilvia FREAK!

P4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of light
What about the interior paint? Still green?
P4rD0nM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:15 AM   #36
crazybb
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
crazybb is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i am just wondering what was the mixing rate of the paint/
crazybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:25 AM   #37
wurm

wurm is an unknown quantity at this point
hmmm I always thought the rustolem didnt cure like the tramclad does
wurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:30 AM   #38
Edgar
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Edgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Edgar
its looking good
Old 08-20-2006, 10:35 AM   #39
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

Location: Louisiana. LA is for Louisiana. L.A. is Los Angeles.
LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurm
Um i dont know if youre aware, but Rustoleum = Tremclad. Tremclad is what its sold under in canada. Just a lil FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Come on, this isn't Gran Turismo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOK
your balls are either ballin, or they aren't... no second hand nut sweat can change that.
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/24807...-stuff-fs.html
LA_phantom_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #40
wurm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_phantom_240
Um i dont know if youre aware, but Rustoleum = Tremclad. Tremclad is what its sold under in canada. Just a lil FYI
yes but the chemical makeup of the two paints are different thats the reason you cant buy tremclad here
Old 08-20-2006, 10:44 AM   #41
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

Location: Louisiana. LA is for Louisiana. L.A. is Los Angeles.
LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
oh really? Well, i guess i stand corrected. You wouldnt happen to know HOW they are different or how much difference there is in how it hardens and holds up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Come on, this isn't Gran Turismo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOK
your balls are either ballin, or they aren't... no second hand nut sweat can change that.
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/24807...-stuff-fs.html
LA_phantom_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #42
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
Wow! That's grrrreat!

A few questions:

What color paint did you use? Semi-gloss / Canvas / Flat / Gloss?

And does that color look straight WHITE or kinda pearl / canvas?
Gloss white and it looks straight white...its the brighest white I've ever seen on a car. Think of a brand new tub or toilet...its that white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurK
i thought the whole concept behind your name was keeping things simple? that dont look too "simple" to me

haha...the process wasn't simple...but I think the overall look of the car is still simple.

Quote:
It doesn't...the properties of the two are slightly different where the Rustoleum will dry faster, but take longer to fully cure. This what I gathered from the mopar thread. But this is the stuff they sell here and its not too bad at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4rD0nM3
What about the interior paint? Still green?
As mention before...door jambs are still green. I have some runs of white that I will sand off. If I was to do the door jambs, I will take a foam brush...but I really don't want to worry about that.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #43
wurm

Do you know how long it takes to fully cure or does it ever cure fully?
Old 08-20-2006, 10:56 AM   #44
180sExy
Zilvia FREAK!

180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to 180sExy
wow!!!hat's off to you man!!!!your car looks great!!!!!!makes me feel like a noob for paying 1500 for my paint job!
Old 08-20-2006, 11:28 AM   #45
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Quote:
Do you know how long it takes to fully cure or does it ever cure fully?
Read the WHOLE thread, he already stated the cure time.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #46
91ka
Leaky Injector

91ka is on the path to ruin91ka is on the path to ruin
Quote:
Here is the first coat.....a classic WTF moment...
lol

until i saw the last pic and said, WOW. had no idea you could paint with rollers and have results like that
91ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:19 PM   #47
P4rD0nM3
Zilvia FREAK!

P4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of lightP4rD0nM3 is a glorious beacon of light
Man it looks hella good for a $68, even if it hasn't been buffed yet.

Your HOA is on the soft side. I can't even change my freaking oil in my driveway because 'it makes my neighbors look like they can't afford to have it change by a 'mechanic', freaking rich asswipes. Somtimes I hate those stupid rules you have to follow. So what if I want a lime green house. Hehehe.
P4rD0nM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:37 PM   #48
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_240sx
for a roll job it looks good from far..... but hows the 5 feet rule?

Well....right now up close its rough because I haven't done the final wetsand and buff.

For anyone that is curious...here is how it looks:

http://www.ss14.net/pics/writeup/rollerpj/nobuff.jpg

P4rD0nM3 - I had no clue my place had a HOA until now...but yea...depending on the area, depends on how strict they can be. The one you have is rediculous if you can't do an oil change on your own property.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:23 PM   #49
Nismo240SX
Zilvia Addict

Nismo240SX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Nismo240SX
wow... maybe i'm not interested, but i still wanna see finished pics
Old 08-20-2006, 11:26 PM   #50
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
that pics is alot better. please post a pic after you wetsand it.

Carlos
Slidin240Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:03 AM   #51
IKnowAllOfNothing
Zilvia Member

IKnowAllOfNothing will become famous soon enoughIKnowAllOfNothing will become famous soon enoughIKnowAllOfNothing will become famous soon enough
I agree, it looks really nice.
Can you post up some bigger high quality pictures when you are finished wetsanding and buffing
IKnowAllOfNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:26 AM   #52
hellion240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

hellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enough
man mad props to you!! it loooks good for $68 and with a friggin roller. lol. yea i would like to see more pics as well.
hellion240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:04 AM   #53
lagvoid21
Leaky Injector

lagvoid21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to lagvoid21
wow great job!
lagvoid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:09 AM   #54
Aoshi112
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
Aoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aoshi112
looks pretty damn good. Props to you! I heard about this method from a friend and thought it was a joke but man, i must say, i'm impressed!
Aoshi112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #55
s13poop
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
s13poop is close to perfections13poop is close to perfections13poop is close to perfections13poop is close to perfections13poop is close to perfections13poop is close to perfections13poop is close to perfections13poop is close to perfections13poop is close to perfections13poop is close to perfections13poop is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13poop
props on the paint job looks clean man

+1 for you
Old 08-21-2006, 12:23 PM   #56
ESone3
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (15)
ESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of lightESone3 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I did this but in black.... and boy does it suck! You see fat lady butt alll over it (orange peel, cellulite... whatever). I think it works well with white.... and if you paint the whole car, but don't try it in black. You will see it all. I don't mind it cause I plan on painting the whole car anyway, but if you care what your car looks like, i don't recommend it.... again in black=Fail!
Old 08-21-2006, 01:17 PM   #57
surge s14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
surge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
but how long will it last?
surge s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:20 PM   #58
crazybb
Zilvia Member

crazybb is on a distinguished road
i sure wetsanding and buffing would have took care of that
crazybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #59
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
That last picture looks amazing. I love to see one of this great looking roll jobs upclose. Seems to me also that the most susccessful jobs are with white too.
Kudos.
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:35 PM   #60
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Well....the most sucessful jobs for painting n00bs like myself have been with white lol

But on the mopar thread there are other shades...even black that yield great results...

It's really in the attention to detail you give it.

How long does it last? well this car was painted seven years ago and still looks fresh....