Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #31
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
I keep the 240 around because even though I can afford a newer sports car like a 335i, I'd constantly be too worried about beating on it because it would surely be my daily driver and only car.

Additionally, while I love sporty coupes, I'm starting a family so I need some bigger & more practical like a truck or SUV. The cheapass 240 will hang around to serve as my weekend car/disposable little whipping dog to beat on whenever I want to cut loose.

But there is also no reason I also wouldn't substitute the 240 for some other equally disposable 80's or 90's FR or MR sports car like Miata, MR2 turbo, MKIII Supra turbo or turbo Z31. They're all about the same price range.
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #32
Bobafreak
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (17)
Bobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
I got rid of both s13 s14s recently. I just grew up and got tired of tickets. Im happy with my Lexus but since part investments are adding up alot into that now. I would like to get a dd and keep the mileage low on the Lexus. So now i may look for a s14 to dd. Nothing fancy. Not even coils and wheels. just a standard daily. Shit i may buy a civic 4 dr. Cant beat a full tank for 25.00.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #33
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
I simply can't afford a high end sports car like an M3 or GTR with my current budgeting, or atleast can't justify that type of spending on an automobile.

Most of my salary from my job goes to my real estate ventures, and the rest are spent on personal bills, and going out to eat and such (i eat out a lot). I'm also trying to save up to go backpacking in Europe after I decide to quit my job.

I figure my S13 will provide as much satisfaction as a high end vehicle, and is much cheaper to maintain. Truth of the matter is I don't even have that much money to finish my 240 as I'm just focused on other stuff in my life.

It all has to do with one's focus. If my focus is all about cars. Yeah, i could easily have that M3 or 911 or be running a competetive drift program (which was my plan after graduation while i was in college), but I find more value and personal gratification working on my entrepreneurial ventures, which is buying rental houses currently. I'm content with dailying my E39, with a drift car side proj.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #34
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
My 240 is more powerful, handles better, and is more reliable than any other comparable newer car that I would buy\afford.
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #35
tiggertsi
Zilvia Member

tiggertsi is an unknown quantity at this point
i've always liked 240's. always wanted one, always heard how good they handled out of the box. after getting one i can see why there is an attraction to these cars. and with that being said i honestly believe in another 5 - 10 years these cars will be considered "classics", of which i have owned and driven many cars that are considered just that.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #36
Chronicle
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Chronicle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Overall, the Gallardo handles about the same but it is quite a bit faster in a straight line.
Do you really think so? If so, that really puts things in perspective to how great the S Chassis really is as a base. I'm certain you had quite a bit of suspension work before you made the trade though.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #37
t_rempel
Leaky Injector

t_rempel is an unknown quantity at this point
^might want to reread the entire post you quoted.

I still drive mine because it's cheap, fun, and it has a lot of sentimental value for my wife and I. Aside from that, whenever I've considered moving on, I always return from test drives liking my car even more.
t_rempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #38
Chronicle
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Chronicle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_rempel View Post
^might want to reread the entire post you quoted.

I still drive mine because it's cheap, fun, and it has a lot of sentimental value for my wife and I. Aside from that, whenever I've considered moving on, I always return from test drives liking my car even more.
I mean, "Megan racing suspension" is still kind of vague.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #39
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
The Dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle View Post
I mean, "Megan racing suspension" is still kind of vague.
I had all that megan shit on my car, arms, coilovers, the works. Gonna see if they make suspension parts for the gallardo. Already contacted godspeed and those fools dont. Pretty upsetting cuz I was hoping to have some baller suspension to go with my Lambo.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #40
sw20>>s14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
sw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sw20>>s14
I've gotten a few more cars since getting my most recent S14 in late 2006. Logic would argue that I should sell it and move on. Especially since I plan on adding another one to the stable in the near future.

I put a good amount of work into my S14, but I'm not gonna lie and act like it was a lot because a lot of you guys and your builds put me to shame.

I love my 240 and it still puts a smile on my face, but to be ABSOLUTELY honest, the underlying reason why I can't let go of mine is because I don't want it going to a fickle and trendy hipster that's going to put a roof rack on it, or sticker bomb the interior, or pull the fenders to shit until it looks like a half eaten onion ring, or purposely rust the hood, or dump the shit out of it so him and his friends can have a dick measuring contest of who's the lowest, etc.

THAT is my main motivator for holding onto it for dear life.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #41
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudermagee View Post
My 240 is more powerful, handles better, and is more reliable than any other comparable newer car that I would buy\afford.
This is how I try to rationalize it, too.

And ultimately, if I ball it up, it's relatively cheap/easy to do a chassis swap.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #42
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Thanks for the advices, guys.
I guess I need to get motivated.
I'm going nowhere in life.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #43
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I could probably buy something quicker if I really wanted to, but I like to keep my hobby pretty cheap relatively speaking. Plus it's fun to tinker with the 240. I don't think twice about plasma cutting some stuff on it and breaking out the welder, which I enjoy. I wouldn't do that quite as easily on say a C6 Z06.

I have thought a few times about getting an FD3S, as I've always loved them, but I think it'd lose the cheap and easy to replace thing. Like my S13 caught on fire at the track - it sucked bad, but really wasn't that expensive to bring it back (which shall happen very soon).
Old 11-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #44
xBtony
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
xBtony is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Because it makes me smile. No other reason. I've had fast cars, comfy cars, nice clean cars, luxury cars, with heated seats and amazing ac and none of them made me smile as much as driving my shit box of a 240.
xBtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #45
ejkisela
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
ejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I am an old man. I have been into cars since I could remember and driving/racing them since I was 16. S chassis wise, I have had one since 2001, different ones from CA19 gt3037s to the current SR TD06 20g sometimes T67 25G. I also had a missile red one up till this month; sold it to my broher. I don't drive mine everyday, I have a comfortable daily van for that.

It's a throw back for me. I am a ae86 guy (still have one) but love all cars. Like some of the above, I buy all stuff in cash. I have the ae86, 180sx, HiAce, Roadster, and a 00 spec Integra R.

I like the sound, the feel. The chassis is a little flexy, but with all the solid points in the suspension, it feels a lot better.

I like having purpose cars, so I guess that's why I have a few of them at any given time. I too thought about purchasing the new 86, but the motor is a deterrent for me. The rear seats are small too. Providing I have a seven year old, space back there is a necessity.

We live within our means. We invest, we have a faily large house that we own in Japan, and we are both professionals so it makes living a little easier. The cars are just toys to have fun.

I have always been told don't daily your race/beat up/otherwise hoon car. I have tried to stick to that for 22 years. I have always had at least two cars at one point.

Botoom line, they are like putting legos together and they don't break often. Awesome cost/performance ratio. Sr with some cams and a bolt on turbo is a great motor. Hell even stock they can do almost everthing you want them to do, and chassis is capable.
ejkisela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #46
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
^^Sui???^^

I had a grip into my 180SX in Okinawa; and decided to strip it & bring everything home when I came back stateside in 2008. Since then, I've had the motor fully built; and completely re-did the 240 hatch I bought here (except for exterior- which is next) inside & from the wheels-up... It's not a daily- It's a garage queen I refer to as my fun-mobile...

It's a great way to blow off steam and a lot of fun to drive. Fully redone/improved interior, all the comforts including AC & a 400+hp SR under the hood. I drive a modest, paid-for 2004 Solara as a daily (33mpg @75mph on the freeway!) which has been virtually maintenance-free- and our 3rd car is a BMW 330i E90 sedan with all the bells & whistles.

I make more than enough to support the 240 now that I'm over the hump of buying everything I wanted for it... Knowing what I know now, I would have sold out & bought a used M3... but being as deep into the fun-mobile as I am these days; there's no real turning back lol

Besides, there is a certain amount of comfort in having a toy that I am intimately familiar with. Albeit- I'm 42 & getting to the point where working on cars is not the great fun it used to be. THIS is why I'm glad to be nearly ready to have the body work done and fully enjoy it.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #47
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
In the larger scheme of things...I dont have a car payment. Sure I've spend money on the car but it doesnt add up in my head to the depreciation value of buying a newer car, making payments on it and by the time you pay it off, its value is less than half what you paid for it. I myself is in that cross road right now. My S14 is put back together, putting decent enough power (420whp), wheels, suspension. It needs paint but dont really care too much about that. What kills me about the car is the lil things. It needs a new rack, tie rod ends, replace the rear window since the previous owner pulled all the defroster elements off and I'd need to fix the leaking rear quarter glass. I think I'm just more tired of working on it than anything else. Just need to accept that these cars are not gonna be perfect since they're simply old.

If I decide to replace it, I want either a G37 coupe($25-30K) or a C6 Z06($37-45K), but the whole car payment thing is whats keeping me away.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #48
nathanong87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
nathanong87 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIXziuR View Post
How are you guys so successful at life.
I don't understand.
you, buy a ferrari.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #49
240sxfan6882
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
240sxfan6882 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I've had mine since 2003 and i've added quite a bit of money to the engine/turbo/build. I still have just under 100k miles on the chassis, and the interior needs to be put back together and it needs paint again... but I sort don't care anymore. I just drive it everywhere and it has been reliable.

I really love it sometimes when I just boost it up and it feels so light, but when I get into newer vehicles I love the technology and more luxuries of modern stuff (maybe i've outgrown it after 10 years).
I'm looking at a BMW M235i and keeping an eye for 2015 STI or something new... but when I think of selling it I almost cringe at the thought.

It's a love/hate thing/
240sxfan6882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #50
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
If I got rid of my S14 for some reason, I would be getting a 240z.
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #51
double zero
Zilvia Member

double zero is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
lol same here. Cash is king. College is overrated. The s13 to me has sentimental value and it is really one of the only cars I even like period. I have had a s13 in my life for 21 years. I wouldn't call my self a car guy so to speak. I just like what I like and that is it, mostly nissans and a few other makes/models. But my s13 is my second hobby. Stacking cash and investing is my first. I get more satisfaction watching my accounts grow than satisfying short term happiness with car stuff. Determination and discipline keep me from wiping out my shit with over the top car stuff that will just be old in 10 years. I try to keep a happy medium. Might as well wait till the right time comes to get a new expensive project car. My philosophy is a 2018 GTR will most likely be better than a 2013. So just wait it out and take care of business. My s13 will be more than fun enough to hold me over in the mean time. Sometimes yahoo japan makes things reeeeal hard though lol. Once this car is "done" (for the most part) it will be straight investing from there on out. Keeps me motivated. Live like a bum now only to retire early and do whatever the hell you want later. That is how I see life. Stay single my friend, and don't have kids.

you sir speak the truth!!
Old 11-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #52
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
If you have to ask, then sell it.

For me it was never an option to sell my s14 because it is car which is of great sentimental value to me.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #53
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
because still cannot afford this

having job means working for minimum pay these days, even with College diploma in computer field.
cured13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #54
AFSil80
Zilvia Addict

AFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to AFSil80 Send a message via MSN to AFSil80
$30k can get you a couple decent cars, really.

You can do the dumb thing and get a new STi...or do the smart thing and get a 996 Turbo.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #55
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFSil80 View Post
$30k can get you a couple decent cars, really.

You can do the dumb thing and get a new STi...or do the smart thing and get a 996 Turbo.
A new STi you can beat over and over w/out problems for a while and is financable.

The 996 and older will req maint and repairs at this point.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #56
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Um, I don't know... I always liked the look of S-Chassis cars since I had seen them sliding in the VHS Option video days.

There's two cars that I'd end up owning, and I already bought one. Next on the list is a BNR34.

For me, the parts are plenty. Its nice having the option of a large parts catalog that you can select from. I can buy things locally or import them from J-Land. There's still a lot of parts manufactures releasing/updating items.

Nice looking cars are still coming out of the woodwork, and in general...the community is still large.
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #57
AFSil80
Zilvia Addict

AFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to AFSil80 Send a message via MSN to AFSil80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
A new STi you can beat over and over w/out problems for a while and is financable.

The 996 and older will req maint and repairs at this point.
You can get a low mileage 996 for under 30k. And Porsche's have the reputation of having the least mechanical issues compared to all other manufacturers. Like anything else...you take care of it, it'll take care of you.

Also, if you finance a car, you're gonna end up paying more than that window sticker price in the end. As Mike (seasons) was saying earlier, it's better to just throw down cash.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #58
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Because I am an addict.
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #59
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
New cars aren't worth shit after you pay them off. My friend bought a scion Tc with so many options and he will end up paying about 38k. Car is worth less than 20k now even with his low miles.

I could have taken the easy route and just gotten a FRS/BRZ. I still am thinking about it. But I am still in college. I have some government loans to pay off.

My S14 has everything it needs to run but I am choosing to take my time and do everything 100% correct. I am still considering having the car dipped just so every inch gets new paint.

I also like it because If I ever am in need of money, I can sell off some parts and just use that since the shell is worthless. If I had a new car I would have to sell it and that would suck ass.

My s14 is only worth it to me, and that is what I find so beautiful. Maybe later down the road I will buy a new sports car like a Brz or a new silvia if they ever make one.
I also am a firm believer in either buying a new car straight cash or just buying some old pos in cash.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #60
imotion s14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
imotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
People with money lease their cars.
imotion s14 is offline   Reply With Quote