Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA240SX808 View Post
What did you think of the RS's?
I really liked them. I probably prefer those over the Star Specs for drifting. the Star specs had to be heated up a little before getting good front grip. Reminded me of the Hankook RS-2's.

I'm actually buying my first Azenis 615k's here shortly. Pretty excited to run them on the front. Heard great things from the Falken bros.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
Yeah that's what I read. The Auto-X guys like the RS's cause there sticky from the get go. Hows the Treadlife?

I would go with the Z1's or 615's but I wanted specifically a 205/50/17 so that only left me with the AD08's being affordable.
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA240SX808 View Post
Yeah that's what I read. The Auto-X guys like the RS's cause there sticky from the get go. Hows the Treadlife?

I would go with the Z1's or 615's but I wanted specifically a 205/50/17 so that only left me with the AD08's being affordable.
I don't know, I tend to wear through tires because I daily drove the car with -5 degrees of camber. lol. Last a year worth of daily/track use.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
RS3's are excellent. I drove my buddy's wrx at an autox on 255 rs3's all around and the thing had grip for days.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
epik1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
epik1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I love reading this thread. Moar videos!
epik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
jasoncanseeoh
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
jasoncanseeoh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alrighty guys, I'm having trouble clutch kicking my POS.
I'm always successful whenever I use my e-brake, although whenever I clutch kick it's always a 50% chance I'll spin.
I never spin when I use my handbrake.
Clutch kicking is so odd to me for some reason. Unpredictable in a sense.
But like I said, it's always 50/50. Sometimes I can make the turn, other times not.
E-braking, you can control your angle/speed and it's way more smoother.

Anyone else catch my drift? <---- (pun intended. lol.)

Really though, does anyone else feel the same way?
I don't think it's my setup, I think it's just my technique. Idk. Someone wanna shed some light?

Here's what I'm working with:

jasoncanseeoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncanseeoh View Post
I'm always successful whenever I use my e-brake, although whenever I clutch kick it's always a 50% chance I'll spin.
But like I said, it's always 50/50. Sometimes I can make the turn, other times not.

I don't think it's my setup, I think it's just my technique. Idk. Someone wanna shed some light?

clutch kicks all depend on your driving style. for me i have to kick like 3-4 times with a oem replacement exedy on a stock ka
although my psi's are moderate, 42 in rear, it still takes a couple kicks

ebrake, well thats a sure fire way unless you have crappy shoes/pads

i do prefer the clutch kick there
Old 03-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
jasoncanseeoh
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
The more I kick it, the slower I kick it, more like clutch feathering it I guess
So how do you control your angle when you initiate? Or do you just use the throttle to compensate once you lose traction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
i do prefer the clutch kick there
You like clutch kicking over e braking? Or only when your e brake sucks?
I wish I could clutch kick.

Thanks for the info so far guys.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:

you are kicking the clutch too late. You are already turning in when you kick the clutch, alowing for a violent oversteer. Try kicking it right as you turn in, but more like a shallow straight line drift. so instead of getting the same angle when you e-brake, try less angle. Not as violent of a turn in. May help.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
Drift N Dragg
Username Monster!

Trader Rating: (14)
Drift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
you are kicking the clutch too late. You are already turning in when you kick the clutch, alowing for a violent oversteer. Try kicking it right as you turn in, but more like a shallow straight line drift. so instead of getting the same angle when you e-brake, try less angle. Not as violent of a turn in. May help.
Has no clue what he is talking about...

Just kidding Hammy hammer-son...

2015 Subaru STI
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
A Ton of Projects
Drift N Dragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift N Dragg View Post
Has no clue what he is talking about...

Just kidding Hammy hammer-son...

He is correct. Admins are always right.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
jasoncanseeoh
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
I came into this thread not knowing what answer I was looking for, but I think this is it! I believe that I am clutch kicking late! I usually wait for the car to start rotating and I think I may be feinting too hard, especially with all the weight my car has.
Thanks for your help.
So should I clutch kick right when I turn the wheel instead?

Anyhow, I think you're right about the less angle thing. I believe I'm expecting too much out of a clutch kick.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:15 AM   #13
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
Quote:

Anyhow, I think you're right about the less angle thing. I believe I'm expecting too much out of a clutch kick.
I clutch kick when I transfer, or right after I drop the Ebrake. When I feint, imagine turning the wheel right and then back left to turn in, I kick right when the wheels are in the middle.

At PGP I use a pretty solid mix of techniques.

For those of you who haven't been here, this is the track, turn 1 is at the top right of the picture. Follow the picture as I outline the track. I'm getting anxious in case you can't tell haha.

http://www.westcoastkarters.com/imag...ial%20view.jpg

Here's a break-down

Turn #s
1. Ride the inside, swing wide, ebrake turn in pin clutch and gas, drop clutch
2. Clutch kick let the car steer itself
3. Depends on power, either just floor it to connect or ebrake in
4. Stay wide on entry, looooong ebrake, clutch kick
5. Pin it then clutch kick on exit and ride the rumble strip / dirt drop to make 6
6. Pin it
7. Clutch kick let the car steer itself
8. Pin it, jump the inside rumble
9. Still pinned
10. Clutch kick
11. Pin it
12. Ebrake to bleed speed
13. Clutch kick
And you pretty much just modulate throttle with appropriate clutchwork where needed till the end from there (little snakey part).

*This is just what I do. Car was SR s13, basic drift suspension stuff.

My point is PGP is a grab bag styles. Don't shy away from using ebrake because you really need it to do some pretty key corners properly. More seat time is all you'll need to figure out the clutch, just remember to try something different every lap until you narrow it down. You have a really unique car so i'm willing to bet it's a little interesting to slide.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #14
jiggysnitz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
jiggysnitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
I came into this thread not knowing what answer I was looking for, but I think this is it! I believe that I am clutch kicking late! I usually wait for the car to start rotating and I think I may be feinting too hard, especially with all the weight my car has.
Thanks for your help.

I don't think I have ever seen you spin! Anyways when I clutch kick I turn in and kick at the same time so by the time the clutch is grabbing the car already has a little flick going. I leave the gas pedal down till I am almost at the angle I want and then back way off the trottle so the rear can grip. If you feel like you are going to spin just let of the gas and put the clutch in all the way so the rear wheels can spin freely and gain some more traction. This seems to work really well at PGP because the track is so grippy
jiggysnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
^^Countersteer faster, that helped me when I started using it. The more I kick it, the slower I kick it, more like clutch feathering it I guess
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #16
chiboy002
Post Whore!

my ebrake has always worked, thank god lol
but yeah i prefer clutch kicking over ebrake, sounds more intense. or ebrake and keep the revs high so it sounds just as cool and you get that wheel lock

at least to initiate. sometimes ill do an early entry ebrake, but like i said, keep them revs up

i dont use a spin knob thing though, i dont like the look, so that might add to my dislike
Old 03-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
Luvs2slide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (81)
Luvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 81 reviews
Spin knob is nice b/c you can easily pull out the lil button to park or w/e. Have fun diggin that knob out.

^ CLutch kick and then counter asap. Once you feel the car sliding out then start to countersteer. How much countersteer depends alot on the severity of the clutch kick (speed/revs/etc). What kind of clutch also helps as well. Think of it like a stock replacement vs a singleplate clutch. The single will grab harder and easier. If you are still on a stock clutch, I would limit the use of the clutch kick technique until you can afford to upgrade.

E-brake for initiating is ok, but slows you down too much. I recently been initiating consistently at about 120km and if I use the clutchkick, it slows me down about 10-20km. Try and keep the E-brake for oh shit moments or to adjust angle or to prolong a drift.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:21 AM   #18
chiboy002
Post Whore!

i can afford to upgrade
just dont feel like it. i know that a better clutch would make it easier, but i like it being more challenging, keeps me busy while drifting
Old 03-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #19
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
plus changing the clutch in a suby probably sucks.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #20
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I'm switching from Hankooks V12's to Star Specs this year. Hopefully I can get used to them pretty quick.

You ran a 215 on a 9.5 right? Have any pictures?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #21
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
215/40-17 on a 9 inch Blitz 03
Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #22
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Flybert could do that trick, but I don't think I've done it. Not sure.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #23
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
I suck but I can try to help haha, when I clutch kick, say you're coming into a left hand turn. You jerk the wheel right first to get the weight going one way, and then you turn it back left to use all that weight/induce the slide. The clutch kick should be at the same time when you swing back left to aid in breaking traction. Then feather the throttle and catch the wheel in the right place.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #24
Luvs2slide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (81)
Luvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 81 reviews
^ The only thing with that is there is potential for too much oversteer if not done correctly. Everything has to be on point.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #25
ericb382
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
ericb382 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I like to clutch kick before I get to the turn in point, that way the car has a chance to settle and I'm countersteered towards the turn. Then you can use small controllable inputs to guide the car through the turn.
ericb382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #26
Gostockorgohome

Gostockorgohome is an unknown quantity at this point
Another point to consider when clutch kicking is RPM and wheel speed difference.Even If you have low horsepower and clutch kick at low RPM, the rear tires are going to have a greater amount of rotational speed difference between the front and are going to want to rotate around the front. Think of speed difference between front and rear as a ratio, the greater speed difference, the greater the angle your car is going to want. Over rotating at low RPM's can be overcome by clutching in and slowing down the rear tires, allowing them to catch up with the front tires, thus regaining grip and straightening out. Not clutching in will do one of two things: it will keep the tires in a rotation that is faster than the front wheel speed, causing a spin, or after your tires have broken loose, they can actually slow down slower than your front tires(like an e-brake initiation) and cause you to spin. Watch any Team Burst video on youtube and you will see every single driver clutch kick within probably 1-2 thousand RPM of Redline. Also keeping the RPM's up after a e-brake initiation will help greatly also, because when you get don't, the wheelspeed will be much lower in the rear compared than the front and can cause you to straighten and or spin depending on the angle your drifting at.
Gostockorgohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #27
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostockorgohome View Post
Also keeping the RPM's up after a e-brake initiation will help greatly also, because when you get don't, the wheelspeed will be much lower in the rear compared than the front and can cause you to straighten and or spin depending on the angle your drifting at.
I think you mean *during* initiation. But yeah this is a good point people miss when learning.

I lol when I watch a car ebrake in then just bog-down and putt away. Its like FWD drifting hahaha
Old 03-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #28
chiboy002
Post Whore!

yeah
thats why you keep the rpms high while ebrake, not cause it helps but cause its fucking AWESOME
Old 03-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #29
DenkiMan!
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
DenkiMan! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
yeah
thats why you keep the rpms high while ebrake, not cause it helps but cause its fucking AWESOME
this is something i need to start doing, i always forget to raise rpm when i ebrake initiate. right now i prefer clutch kicking because the car feels way more predictable to me. i learned in order to connect something like an s-turn or something, when initiating by kicking, things like timing, line, speed and not fighting the steering wheel are all important. anyone run summit point?
Looking for another pair of 17x9 Veilside Andrew Racing V's
DenkiMan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #30
chiboy002
Post Whore!

the only thing i do not like about clutch kicking is it also pushes you out more
ebrake you can initiate right then and there and follow that line
clutch kick, the line you wanna follow gets pushed back

but idgaf really, im no pro