Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #13861
aga
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
aga is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopHippo View Post
I dont have my car but its a little square hole on the bellhousing. I couldntt find anything that said it was supposed to be there so i jb welded over it

my grandpa used to say, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
aga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #13862
blackmags91
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
blackmags91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
here's one:
I just upgraded my s13 sr t25 to s15 spec-r bb turbo, and now when I shut down the engine I hear the bearings/turbo spin for about 20 seconds before coming to a stop..
The sound isnt particularly bad, I dont think.. But its loud and definitely there. Is this normal? Is it being starved of oil? Am I over-thinking and overreacting? Never owned any turbo other than the original t25
thanks
blackmags91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #13863
ziptie
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
ziptie is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
zilvia related one; is there a s13 wing/spoiler thread?
ziptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:42 AM   #13864
HipHopHippo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
HipHopHippo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga View Post

my grandpa used to say, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
I thought it was a big hole in the bottom of my transmission, so Ifixed it
Old 06-03-2013, 04:44 AM   #13865
HipHopHippo
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkMan View Post
That's what came to mind when you said square the plug itself correct? Its a half inch square hole where you use a ratchet or a breaker bar to loosen or tighten...

What you can do is use a drill and drill bit with an easy out to remove the old plug, but they can seat quite tightly so its going to be a pain the the @ss.
This is the one
hole on tranny. is it normal? : SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)
Old 06-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #13866
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
for future references, if there's a hole in your trans/diff/motor/etc that looks pretty purposeful, don't fucking jb weld it.

as a matter of fact, don't jb weld ANYTHING on your car.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #13867
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Looks like I made another mistake, it was a fluid drain hole. Well my car be ok to drive for a short distance until I get all of the jb weld out?
Didn't I tell you to stop working on your stuff until you knew what you were doing?
At least research stuff FIRST so you MIGHT know what you are about to screw up, this case in point!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #13868
HipHopHippo
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
for future references, if there's a hole in your trans/diff/motor/etc that looks pretty purposeful, don't fucking jb weld it.

as a matter of fact, don't jb weld ANYTHING on your car.
Ok thankyou
Old 06-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #13869
HipHopHippo
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
Didn't I tell you to stop working on your stuff until you knew what you were doing?
At least research stuff FIRST so you MIGHT know what you are about to screw up, this case in point!
I do a lot of work without messing things up, im think im doing pretty well considering all the work I do and the only problems I have are this and the problem in the other thread I have open. I searched for this but I guess I used the wrong keywords? Idk. But will it be ok temporarily until I get a chance to fix it?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #13870
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I do a lot of work without messing things up, im think im doing pretty well considering all the work I do and the only problems I have are this and the problem in the other thread I have open. I searched for this but I guess I used the wrong keywords? Idk. But will it be ok temporarily until I get a chance to fix it?
For now you think you are doing well, just wait until you 'finish' your build and try to start it or something.

Yes it will be ok, just drill a hole in that jb weld.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #13871
HipHopHippo
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc. View Post
For now you think you are doing well, just wait until you 'finish' your build and try to start it or something.

Yes it will be ok, just drill a hole in that jb weld.
Alrighty, I think it's a pretty thin layer because I had to take it somewhere and the jb weld was just a temp fix until I got more of a chance to fix it. And I just got my car tuned and made 284 hp so it's fine, I just have to fix the noise and learn a little throttle control and im golden
Old 06-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #13872
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone know if it is ok to remove the banjo assembly off the power steering pump and go straight off of it with a -AN fitting? The reason I ask is because the FSM shows a spring and a pressure valve inside the pump pressing against the bolt (which I would be removing). I know it wont be the same, but I just need to make sure it isn't gonna blow my pump out or give me zero steering feel.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #13873
SoCalDrifter
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
SoCalDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
What are the best motor/tranny mounts for track use?
SoCalDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #13874
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Just bought a s13 coupe and noticed that under the the headliner all the roof support has been cut out and discarded. Non sunroof model, my question how important are those bars to the cars structural rigidity? Should i be thinking about welding in some kind of support bars there? or just leave it alone, the roof doesnt bow or anything like that. THanks.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #13875
soryu
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
soryu is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
can the power steering reservoir from s13 be swapped out for a clear one?
like the coolant and brake fluid reservoirs.
soryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #13876
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
acslater9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Is that rust on the front or just a really messed up bumper that needs paint?

acslater9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #13877
soryu
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
soryu is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Bumper made out of not metal.
soryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #13878
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soryu View Post
can the power steering reservoir from s13 be swapped out for a clear one?
like the coolant and brake fluid reservoirs.
negatory, unless its a high temp acrylic or something. the power steering gets hot
Old 06-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #13879
chiboy002
Post Whore!

does anyone know what the black liner is that is glued to the carpet insulation on s13 front floor areas?

it isn't the tar shit that dryice removes, this stuff is like sandwiched between the carpet and the floor pan. it breaks off and is brittle as fuck, wanna know if its worth replacing for road noise/insulation when doing a carpet swap
Old 06-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #13880
240sxDavid
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
240sxDavid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Twin cam and sohc oil filters the same?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
240sxDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #13881
tengo240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
tengo240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengo240 View Post
Recently did some work to my sr and upon starting it it idled like complete shit , it was rocking back and forth and pouring black smoke out of the exhaust. i recently did the following to the motor/car what should i do if tomorrow when i put it back together its still off? i did the following

1.moved my fuse boxes/chassis harness to behind my dash board ,did not cut or remove anything just relocated it .
2. installed a chasebays wiring harness
3.removed my heater core and looped my coolant line in the back with all new hoses
4. removed my bov and hot pipe for a solid no bov hot pipe ,ran a vacuum line from the wastegate to the hot pipe,vac line from fpr t'd to boost gauge to the mani , capped the other throttle body fittings,
5.i removed my intake manifold but put on a new collector gasket and a circuit sports thermal gasket spacer. what did i miss or did i run vacuum lines wrong? i checked for boost leaks by spraying carb cleaner and didnt get anything,the motor flodded while running for the few moments i had it running , i replaced my plugs and changed the oil.
the engine ran awesome a few months ago before i changed the previous things , im leaning towards the wiring, any ideas ? i would greatly appreciate some insight and help
so i put it all back together today and it did the same thing , i unplug the maf and it idles fine ,so im more than sure its the wiring now ,my maf was fine when i parked the car a month ago .just gonna send it back and have them look it over . they have been pretty cool about stuff for the most part
tengo240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #13882
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc. View Post
Does anyone know if it is ok to remove the banjo assembly off the power steering pump and go straight off of it with a -AN fitting? The reason I ask is because the FSM shows a spring and a pressure valve inside the pump pressing against the bolt (which I would be removing). I know it wont be the same, but I just need to make sure it isn't gonna blow my pump out or give me zero steering feel.
If the banjo fitting is pressurized from the inside to stop fluid from moving one way, then depressurized to allow it to move a different way, you will mess it up. As I am not familiar with these EXACT pumps(An fittings work great on old datsuns and mustangs though), I would remove th epump, remove both lines, and see what it does.
THEORY on Powersteering pumps: The pump pressurizes the steering ram which assists the steering movement. Fluid is pumped out of the pump, pressurized to the mechanisms, works through te mechanisms, then is pushed back into the pump.
WAG(Wild Ass Guess): Removing that assy would not do anything dewtrimental as it appears it only stops large particles from entering the pump, and not fluid if it is the return. If the project is simple enough, put the AN fitting on it, run it it up and see what happens in the driveway. If it doesn't work, modify the AN fitting to work with the valve
Old 06-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #13883
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
does anyone know what the black liner is that is glued to the carpet insulation on s13 front floor areas?

it isn't the tar shit that dryice removes, this stuff is like sandwiched between the carpet and the floor pan. it breaks off and is brittle as fuck, wanna know if its worth replacing for road noise/insulation when doing a carpet swap
It's heat insulation. Go with the new style silver foil looking bubble wrap stuff. It works ten times better, and if you do anything, put a layer on the right side of the drivers pedals against the hump...keeps the foot way cooler!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #13884
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
All I'm sayin is go get that book, read it. It will answer a ton of your questions, give you many generalized lessons, and you will be able to look at stuff way different in the future. Not dissin your will to do it, just the way you seem to be going about it. You appear to be going abou tthings with zero knowledge on processes. That book I linked you will HELP you and bottom line is it won't hurt
MANY PEOPLE HERE TO READ IT AS WELL
For every good natural mechanic, there are six schooled mechanics that are worth a shit, and 20 shadetree/home garage mechanics that just plain FSU. I'm schooled, so I know theory and principles that apply to all engines, but for silvia engines, dude, I am a straight newb, but at least I don't break shit or FSU
Old 06-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #13885
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
acslater9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
What kind of engine does a stock 1992 Nissan 240sx have?

Also would you buy a Nissan 240sx that has a blown head gasket? (I want to see other people's responses to this)
acslater9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #13886
240Cali
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (4)
240Cali is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
wanting to get chrome inside door handles for my S14 I know Q45 door handles fit but not sure exactly what year? anybody have more info on this by any chance? thanks
Old 06-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #13887
SoCalDrifter
Nissanaholic!

SoCalDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDrifter View Post
What are the best motor/tranny mounts for track use?
anyone???...
SoCalDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #13888
SharkMan
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (28)
SharkMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater9 View Post

Also would you buy a Nissan 240sx that has a blown head gasket? (I want to see other people's responses to this)
Ka24de (dohc)

And I'll do you a solid and answer your second question as politely as possible. Simply put it doesn't matter if I would buy it, what matters if you would or better yet should buy it. Just by your first question it doesn't seem that you have much experience with 240s, so I don't suggest its a good idea to pick that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Front hugs or from behind hugs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan240 View Post
The Black Star Ninja is my real father...
SharkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #13889
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
It's heat insulation. Go with the new style silver foil looking bubble wrap stuff. It works ten times better, and if you do anything, put a layer on the right side of the drivers pedals against the hump...keeps the foot way cooler!
yeah, the dynamat shit

isn't that heavy stuff? I mean this carpet liner shit is hardly heavy, much rather just put a new liner in and keep the weight relatively the same
Old 06-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #13890
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater9 View Post

I mean, your question is answered by a previous member but really? What kind of motor does a stock 240SX have? Google can answer retarded simple questions like that.

As for buying a motor with a blown head gasket, if the price is cheap, there is no internal issue, and you don't mind rebuilding it, then go for it but maybe you should state WHICH motor you plan on buying that has a blown head gasket? The OEM KA24[D]E - depending on year - or a swap?
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote