Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #15991
Konster
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
Konster is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quick question.

Can S13 power folding mirrors be wired to the ignition so when I turn the car on they unfold and fold when I turn it off?
Old 01-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #15992
89hatchman
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
89hatchman is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extortionist View Post
Help would be much appreciated. My S14 creaks and groans (almost sounds like grinding) like crazy while stopped. The noise changes alot with steering input, and sometimes it feels like the power steering isnt working while I'm stopped. If you turn the wheel and mess with it enough you can sometimes get it to be quiet. Otherwise, most or all of the noise goes away while driving.
Any ideas what this is? The power steering pump has been replaced already.
I'm going to guess the ball joint for the squeaking. The lack of power steering sounds to me like a whole different problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hOngsterr View Post
haha i was in your shoes with a HLSD and VLSD. its the diff itself.
open diff you can see this without the welds,
Damn, only a small patch of weld on the teeth? All the welded diffs I've bought have a metal plate welded in on all 4 sides of it on both sides of the gear set.
89hatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:00 PM   #15993
89hatchman
Zilvia Member

I have solid subframe bushings that I'm looking at installing tomorrow. I've seen poly bushings installed and the guys leave the metal collar in the subframe. Since I'm going with solid bushings I beat those out right? Nothing but a clear cylinder to install the bushing in? With the lip on the bottom of the subframe?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:11 PM   #15994
Extortionist

Extortionist is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89hatchman View Post
I'm going to guess the ball joint for the squeaking. The lack of power steering sounds to me like a whole different problem.
What does it sound like it might be? Also, I wouldn't call it a squeak by any means. Its more of a rattle, or almost a grind. And it absolutely varies with steering wheel input.

EDIT: It sounds pretty much just like this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3yAlDjliLs
Timing chain or power steering?
I didn't think it was the timing chain due to the fact that if you play with the steering wheel enough you can almost completely eliminate that noise. Also the noise is completely gone while driving anywhere over 5 mph, does that rule anything out?
Extortionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:17 AM   #15995
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
Quote:
Damn, only a small patch of weld on the teeth? All the welded diffs I've bought have a metal plate welded in on all 4 sides of it on both sides of the gear set.

seems like overkill to me, but other people have ran the 4 welds in that photo i provided and works fine.
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #15996
DashS13

DashS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
did an one ever figure out this sr20det hestiation/boging/bucking around 2500-3000 rpm issue? used the search and evryone seems to think its caused by almost 5 different things
Old 01-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #15997
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extortionist View Post
What does it sound like it might be? Also, I wouldn't call it a squeak by any means. Its more of a rattle, or almost a grind. And it absolutely varies with steering wheel input.

EDIT: It sounds pretty much just like this video
Timing chain or power steering?
I didn't think it was the timing chain due to the fact that if you play with the steering wheel enough you can almost completely eliminate that noise. Also the noise is completely gone while driving anywhere over 5 mph, does that rule anything out?

That video sounds like chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashS13 View Post
did an one ever figure out this sr20det hestiation/boging/bucking around 2500-3000 rpm issue? used the search and evryone seems to think its caused by almost 5 different things

That's because it can be like 10 different things. Start ruling stuff out
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:46 AM   #15998
Extortionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev71893 View Post
That video sounds like chain
How is that even possible though?

I doubt timing chain noise would go away while driving

But more importantly if it was the chain i don't think it could possibly change so much and even almost completely go away sometimes with steering wheel input(when parked). Right?

Would you buy a 240 that was making that noise?

Last edited by Extortionist; 01-30-2014 at 01:02 PM..
Old 01-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #15999
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Hows the power steering feel?
The pump could just be shit
Old 01-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #16000
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I think you're the guy that posted this on reddit.

Chain noise can go away with higher rpm. Usually you can just pull the upper timing chain guide and get it to be quiet altogether (or sometimes you have to pull the side guide, too --- google the DIY procedure, it's been well documented).
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:30 PM   #16001
Extortionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad_s13.5 View Post
Hows the power steering feel?
The pump could just be shit
The power steering doesnt really work. I just didn't think the pump was capable of making those noises
Old 01-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #16002
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
240boi115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
im in trouble guys... (well not really) when i drive my car it starts to smell like gas. not burning gas either like straight gas from the pump. ive checked my fuel lines and they are fine as well al my gas tank and the area in the trunk were the fuel pump is and no luck.. another weird thing is it wont smell like this if its been sitting on idle or reved a bit. just when ive been driving it 0.0. by the way this is on a 90 s13 hatch all stock sohc KA
my 240 broke down..again
240boi115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #16003
89hatchman
Zilvia Member

Does this GT2871r turbo come with a built in restrictor?

Garrett GT2871R-472560-15-28R GT2871R-472560-15 Turbo Dual Ball Bearing (GT28R Upgrade) Opts

I have heard that some GT turbo's do, I've heard that none do. The website says absolutely nothing about a restrictor built in or even needing one. I have a .04 or something restrictor that I can run if it does need one. If not, I have a regular fitting.

I just don't want to run 2 restrictors and potentially starve the turbo of oil.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:41 AM   #16004
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by hOngsterr View Post
seems like overkill to me, but other people have ran the 4 welds in that photo i provided and works fine.
Now I cannot speak to welding diff's, but I CAN speak to welding all kinds of metal.
As long as the welds penetrates deep enough, they will not break. The four welds work in concert with one another to lock the diff, not a great idea for the street, but fine for drifting or drag racing. They also offer enough strength to do the job.
My guess for the metal plate technique is it would hold greater torque amounts than the four smaller welds, kinda like the Stage I and Stage II clutch discs. One works for say 350'#, the other holds to 450'#
Old 01-31-2014, 06:25 AM   #16005
Nikzilla
Zilvia Member

Nikzilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi guys.

I'm trying to learn about volumetric efficiencies and reading compressor maps and such.

Could someone give me MAF data for a stock S13 SR20DET with an unmolested MAF so I have some baseline data for maths?

I would need the Mass Air Flow (lb/min) and RPM at any moment during WOT. Multiple data points would also be nice.

Thanks!

This would be very easy when I get my consult port.
Nikzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:46 PM   #16006
89hatchman
Zilvia Member

Will I have a leak if I'm missing one of the long bolts that bolts the SR20DET head (in front of the cams) to the timing chain cover? I can't fit that one bolt in past the cam with the gear on it for the CAS and everything is put together and in time. I really really really don't wan to take everything apart to do that.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:04 PM   #16007
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
What wheel hubs will fit on a Personal wheel?
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:39 PM   #16008
I<3BEWBZ
Zilvia Member

I<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the rough
I'm pretty sure Nardi/Personal use the same pattern. I run a Circuit Sports quick release hub and my Nardi mounts up fine.
I<3BEWBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:55 PM   #16009
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3BEWBZ View Post
I'm pretty sure Nardi/Personal use the same pattern. I run a Circuit Sports quick release hub and my Nardi mounts up fine.
Awesome. Thanks.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:01 AM   #16010
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikzilla View Post
Hi guys.

I'm trying to learn about volumetric efficiencies and reading compressor maps and such.

Could someone give me MAF data for a stock S13 SR20DET with an unmolested MAF so I have some baseline data for maths?

I would need the Mass Air Flow (lb/min) and RPM at any moment during WOT. Multiple data points would also be nice.

Thanks!

This would be very easy when I get my consult port.
I am putting this out there for you since you appear to want to gain the knowledge of the great tuners. Save your money. GO TO Yashio Factory, and say,"Sensei, teach me !" then grovel down into a deep bow like you would for a karate master and hope like fuck they will allow you to study.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #16011
Nikzilla
Zilvia Member

Nikzilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
I am putting this out there for you since you appear to want to gain the knowledge of the great tuners. Save your money. GO TO Yashio Factory, and say,"Sensei, teach me !" then grovel down into a deep bow like you would for a karate master and hope like fuck they will allow you to study.
LOL. I've always wanted to go to Japan...
Nikzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #16012
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
My clutch bites high. About half way up. It feels like it finishes tightening up JUST as the pedal tops out.

It's the original, I think. almost 220k on it. But it feels like it grabs hard, usually. Enough so that it chatters when it's hot.

Does the engaugement point change that much as the clutch wears? I'd think the pedal point would only move a few mm, as that's what's wearing off the clutch.

Is it worth looking at my fork or anything, is there anything I could try without removing the trans?

Has a new slave (not because it failed, but because I was removing the damper block/circuit, and the old bleeder was siezed and twisted off on me). Feels the same as the last slave. I did consider cutting down the old slave's pushrod and trying that, to give it more distance to go - but I think that might only address the symptom, not the problem.

On a possibly related note:

Sometimes On a slight turn while I'm flooring it and just coming into the power band, something slips and hooks as I straiten or shift, but I don't hear a chirp or see any leftover rubber - I'm really not sure if it's the open diff talking, or my clutch slipping (maybe against the little extra force of having to fight the turn, you know)

Also, I adjusted the master pushrod as much as possible. Really, it changes very little in either direction, but I did let it out as much as possible, so there's the maximum slack.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #16013
89hatchman
Zilvia Member

any problems with using home depot or lowes bolts as replacements for the transmission cross member and the diff to drive shaft?
Old 02-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #16014
ze12o
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (26)
ze12o is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
any problems with using home depot or lowes bolts as replacements for the transmission cross member and the diff to drive shaft?

as long as it fits and it's grade 8 or higher I don't see why not.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #16015
titopr06
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (68)
titopr06 is just really nicetitopr06 is just really nicetitopr06 is just really nicetitopr06 is just really nicetitopr06 is just really nicetitopr06 is just really nicetitopr06 is just really nicetitopr06 is just really nicetitopr06 is just really nicetitopr06 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
can i install a r33 gts-t diff onto an s14 with z32 na axles?
both the diff and z32 na axles are the matching 5 bolt star pattern.
titopr06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #16016
Torq_Meister
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Torq_Meister is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have a problem with my s14 zenki headlights, the adjustment gears within the headlights are broken causing the headlights to point straight at the ground. Is there anyway to get replacement gears or will i have to buy new headlight housings?
Torq_Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #16017
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Do yourself a big favor. Look around town and find a local dedicated mechanical/industrial hardware store. Here you will find not only grade 8 bolts for less, but you will also find Stainless, or blackout finishes for some stuff. BUT, what you will also get is very precisely machined stuff that just fits better. You will also build a solid relationship with the owner/counter person who you will see time and time again which will get you slight discounts after time
Old 02-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #16018
Sir
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Sir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ze12o View Post
as long as it fits and it's grade 8 or higher I don't see why not.
Grade 8 refers to SAE bolts only.
For metric its a class 10.9 or above. So the class 8.8 that they sell isn't going to cut it.
Sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #16019
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir View Post
Grade 8 refers to SAE bolts only.
For metric its a class 10.9 or above. So the class 8.8 that they sell isn't going to cut it.
Furthermore, the 8.8's are not only too weak, they are the weakest metric, I believe. Very important distinction.

But, if you have an application where you can use a SAE bolt instead and you have the grade 8, that's totally fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konster View Post
Quick question.

Can S13 power folding mirrors be wired to the ignition so when I turn the car on they unfold and fold when I turn it off?
Do they have a 12v signal wire, like the power antenna?

If so, you just need to hook it up to a switched 12v source. There's at least 2 behind the radio (I assume that both would be in proper harnesses if mine hadn't been cut, but they're the blue wires.... don't cut your shit though), or I believe the main source that switches them is a relay in the box by the airbox.

So yeah, just don't cut any harnesses.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:29 AM   #16020
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
New to battery relocation...

Do most people just run the power wire from the battery straight to the starter? Or is it better to use a distribution block and have the power wire go to the fuse box?

What do people do with the smaller wires that were originally hooked up to the positive battery terminal if not using a distribution block? I'd like to cut back on clutter/wires if I can.

Is it okay to mount a 120amp circuit breaker to the plastic battery box or should I think of doing something else? I will be running a 480w amp for the speakers if that makes any difference.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote