Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #211
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
New develpoments

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #212
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looks kinda wack.

is that a T6 hotside?
McRussellPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #213
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
Its a holset h2c like a big t4. Unfourtantly i cant for the life of me get twins to fit. So as im stuck with a single i just want to see how wack it would look , unfourtanly its either this or a vortech. I think this has less wackness than a vortech thats for sure. As for this turbo its just for fitment purposes. Im havent really decided what turbo to run yet but probably something in the t4 twin scroll area.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #214
240sx_sr20det
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Wow that sounds good! +1
240sx_sr20det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #215
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
My understanding is that there is no gain to be had from a twin scroll with 8 cylinders, so keep it simple. And v8s with turbos are not capable of looking, "kinda whack." Bad ass I say. Keep it up!

Two questions:
What would you have to do for engine management with the turbo?
And were you dissapointed with the n/a power?
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #216
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard View Post

Two questions:
What would you have to do for engine management with the turbo?
And were you dissapointed with the n/a power?
ECU rom tune
N/a power =
Old 03-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #217
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
Twin 30Rs up in the front tubs.

exhaust runs over the valve cover. (v-banded it wouldn't be too big of a bitch and wrapped of course)

headers run below the valve cover.

looks like you have room for it just glancing at it, someone did it in an S13.

Get someone to make you an intake manifold, that shit is not so fresh at all, and will if you had it going through the middle with the rad laid down a little (vetteish) would make it perfect for two intercoolers.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #218
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
just read the build man u got some skills i really like the idea of that turbo
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #219
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Gjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura about
Man I don't care what anyone says, that's freaking Hottt!!!!

LSX Kouki Project, swap completed in Dec 09
Gjohnson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:33 PM   #220
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
The Holset H2C will be amazing and will spool fast, even a Holset HX35 will spool amazingly fast specally on that 4.5litre. The dude that bought my RB20 S13 has a Holset HX35 and is looking at 3000ish rpm full 18lb spool up. thats on a 2.0 i say keep the holset in mind. looks bad ass if you ask me, polish the intake side poweder / heatcoat the hot side red/black. it wud be so nice.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #221
vaughn4
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
vaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
new paint or just a silver kouki front end? do you have any new pictures of the exterior? not too sure about the turbo setup. i think i would rather have a supercharged v8. more of that instant torque feeling.
vaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #222
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Mmmmm OHC V8 turbo sounds are instant turn-ons.

McRussell had some good suggestions. I vote yes on the new intake mani, it would open up the powerband and give you more room to work with (throttle body location and such). Two twin-scrolls would be nice. Only with some crazy tube manifolds though.

Single would work though too. Easier. Just make sure you ceramic coat everything, that engine bay is packed.

Love the fact that you're keeping the VH.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #223
projectdrifter
Zilvia Addict

projectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to projectdrifter Send a message via Yahoo to projectdrifter
a nice rear mount turbo setup would be pimp. minimal lag v8 nastyness. love ur setup cant wait to see the new results
Old 03-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #224
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
The dude that bought my RB20 S13 has a Holset HX35 and is looking at 3000ish rpm full 18lb spool up.
thats pretty optimistic.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:06 AM   #225
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
+1 for rear mount.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #226
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

After looking at all my options i may be going twins, with a rear mount radiator. Got to do some more test fitting though. Heres some pics of todays progress

Had to take the engine out to remove the headers. Took most of the day.

I never posted before but heres the whole exhaust system out of the car. I might be selling the headers though.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #227
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to ms!3
pullin the motor this week.

wth why?

i have to take my headers out...

lmao, damn that is a tight fit. I like your car tho man. nice build
ms!3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #228
SR20d2fourT
Zilvia Junkie

SR20d2fourT has a spectacular aura aboutSR20d2fourT has a spectacular aura aboutSR20d2fourT has a spectacular aura aboutSR20d2fourT has a spectacular aura aboutSR20d2fourT has a spectacular aura aboutSR20d2fourT has a spectacular aura about
AWESOME WORK BROTHA!!

+1 mirrion.

I want a V8 now. lol.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #229
M374llic4
Leaky Injector

M374llic4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to M374llic4
You might want to consider an STS turbo style install. They mount their turbos mid to rear of the car for fitment and cooling purposes.

The turbocharger can be mounted anywhere but is typically placed under the vehicle so running the exhaust to and from the turbocharger (depending on your design) is as simple as replacing a muffler and can be done by any competent exhaust shop. Once the turbo has been installed in the exhaust system, the intake tubing can be fabricated to run from the compressor outlet up to the throttle body. In most cases, the intake tubing acts as a linear intercooler and will provide 40-50% intercooer efficiency with almost zero pressure drop if designed properly. If you are looking for optimal horsepower per pound of boost, adding a front mounted intercooler to your remote mounted turbo system will provide 90% to nearly100% intercooling efficiency.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #230
JM216S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
JM216S14 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This is one of the coolest engine swaps Ive seen! VH45DE freaking sweeeeeetttt
JM216S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:28 AM   #231
DarkPhoenix
Zilvia Member

DarkPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdDarkPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdDarkPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdDarkPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdDarkPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdDarkPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdDarkPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdDarkPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdDarkPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdDarkPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdDarkPhoenix is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to DarkPhoenix Send a message via AIM to DarkPhoenix
Very nice. I can't wait to see what it will be like with the turbo in place.

Fargin' sweetness!!

Lotsa people with sandy holes on the interwebs!!

DarkPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:00 AM   #232
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Extremely nice swap! I don't agree with boosting it though. No turbocharged or supercharged engine can match the power delivery and ultra flat torque curve of a well-built v-8. With ITB's the top end would be bitchin as well. How does this motor compare in size/weight to an LSx? Anybody know? And what about the VQ35 as well?
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:09 AM   #233
UfoZ8myCow
Zilvia FREAK!

UfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond repute
There is nothing "kinda whack" about an S14 with a Nissan V8 and a turbo under the hood. Good luck with the rest of the build man!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:44 AM   #234
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
Quote:
Originally Posted by M374llic4 View Post

this is really the only way to do it on a VH45 IMHO. For best weight balance, space, and heat issues nothing really beats the rear mounted turbo, and based on from what I gathered it is TECHNICALLY legal as long as you keep stock cats.
this is based off of information from a friend of mine who has a turbo z28 Camaro
running 11 pounds of boost and putting close to 400ish hp
Old 03-03-2008, 08:14 AM   #235
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Rear mounts are bullshit.Your turbos become completely dependent upon some weak ass electric oil pump and the amount of heat energy wasted in the exhaust is rediculous. You keep seeing them on v8s and v6s because with their inherent torque people just don't realize/accept all of the midrange that they are giving up.You've already built a great exhaust, you should really reconsider a centrifugal. Don't rull out a supercharger just because zilvians think turbos are cooler.Also the way that the stock lower intake manifolds creates a flat plane is just begging for you to fab-up an upper plenum/air2water ic/mount for a cobra eaton. $600 and you're looking at 500 hp and your radiator worries would be gone because the air2water ic requires only a small heat exchanger out front.Keep moddin Bro! It all looks great!
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:19 AM   #236
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard View Post
Don't rul[e] out a supercharger just because zilvians think turbos are cooler.
This holds for a lot of other things as well. Do what your wallet and brain dictates. Don't listen to people who have neither and haven't done anything.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:03 AM   #237
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

I think I have figured out a pretty efficient way to get twins to fit here. I actually got two ideas I'm working on. It should look pretty baller and work well either way. I'm also thinking about doing a rear mount radiator ala dentsport to get some weight back over the rear.

As for rear turbo I never really liked the idea of rear turbo seems like its less than optimal.

And I definitly won't be going with any of the gt class turbos. I'll probably get twin t3/t4 or t3/60-1. I have instant torque as it is so its really a non issue IMO.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #238
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Either way its sliced, I think this built is cool.
Keep up the good work man!

I think once everything is finalized and buttoned up it will be sick
IIIXziuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #239
Sir
Zilvia Addict

Sir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud of
man, my favorite build is getting better and better.
I was worried when i saw it for sale, but now I'm happy again
Keep up the good work.

I'm trying to talk my buddy to do this in this S13...
Sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #240
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Picked up a garret t3/60-1 from a friend and got my merge collectors to try to come up with ideas. The down pipe can only go over the valve covers and down the back, but manifold wise i got few options.

I could run a baller stainless tublar manifold and make it look all types of bad ass but as you coul see i would have all kinds of fitment issues. .. pic

obviously id chop off the bulk of the collector and weld on a t3 flange

or i could make a simple and easy log manifold and sit the turbos like so but not as bad ass

I though about bottom mount two t28's but you can see the room im working with