Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
djtomy

Trader Rating: (1)
djtomy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Car mags, Which ones to get?

What the Best car Magazine to get my friend a subscription for Christmas, he's away for awhile.. He's had and likes Subies and 240's. Modifed was his favorite, but I guess that's no longer available

Any Suggestions?
djtomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Nothing good anymore to be honest. I'm on SS right now just cause Modified closed. Then one issue later Import tuner closed, now I'm stuck with SS and don't plan on renewing
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
MikeisNissan
Post Whore!

MikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to MikeisNissan
Yeah they dead I have about a thousand though.

因果関係の流れ
MikeisNissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
angel mkiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'd go with super street for sure!
Old 12-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I believe a new magazine focused on drifting specifically just started coming out. The name of it escapes me at the moment though.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I believe a new magazine focused on drifting specifically just started coming out. The name of it escapes me at the moment though.
Wrecked?

To answer OPs question:

None. Most publications have gone digital already or have closed up shop completely.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
Wrecked?

To answer OPs question:

None. Most publications have gone digital already or have closed up shop completely.
^^^This. Cancelled all my subscriptions about 8 years ago for this very reason. R.I.P. SCC.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
vanish1
Zilvia Addict

vanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymorevanish1 is not welcome here anymore
bmw performance
bimmer mag
Old 12-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #9
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Dsport. Expensive but still around.
dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #10
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i bought a subscription to superstreet... its entertaining bathroom material..

as much as they suck, its good to buy them, otherwise they go the way of turbo, sportcompactcar, modified, importtuner etc...
Old 12-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
dac2828

dac2828 is an unknown quantity at this point
S3 mag is pretty rad... not sure if they're still around or not. Super Street is your best bet. Maybe one day Speedhunters or someone like that will put out a mag. If anyone wants to sell all their old car mags let me know! I love the car magazines for this industry from the mid 90's to now.
dac2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #12
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
North American? DSport is a solid choice. It's a quality magazine with interesting articles and great builds.

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:43 AM   #13
dac2828

PAS mag is legit... it's a little less niche but the people who make that magazine are passionate about it and take it very seriously. It's the least maybe of the hardcore car tech stuff but subscriptions are like $20 or less for 12 magazines shipped to your door one every month... how can you go wrong. Support the industry!
Old 12-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #14
gearhead55
Zilvia FREAK!

gearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtomy View Post
What the Best car Magazine to get my friend a subscription for Christmas, he's away for awhile.. He's had and likes Subies and 240's. Modifed was his favorite, but I guess that's no longer available

Any Suggestions?
away for a while? like in jail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
^^^This. Cancelled all my subscriptions about 8 years ago for this very reason. R.I.P. SCC.
RIP SCC, that was the best mag out there. nothing out now comes close.
gearhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #15
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
eh thats kind of sad\makes me feel old
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:26 PM   #16
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Yeah, I get sad when I think about all the informative articles SCC could have given us on the hot new car developments of the past six years or so. Or how they might have trumped their legendary S13 build with a cheap turbo E36 or shown how the F20C's factory forged internals were begging for turbo boost.

Remember when all the big Primedia magazine brands did the Top Shop Challenge & paired with a tuning shop to see who could build the best engine? That was so awesome to read. Don't even get me started on the USCC competition...

I was in Walmart today looking at magazines & low brow Super Street was the last import rag standing.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #17
dac2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Yeah, I get sad when I think about all the informative articles SCC could have given us on the hot new car developments of the past six years or so. Or how they might have trumped their legendary S13 build with a cheap turbo E36 or shown how the F20C's factory forged internals were begging for turbo boost.

Remember when all the big Primedia magazine brands did the Top Shop Challenge & paired with a tuning shop to see who could build the best engine? That was so awesome to read. Don't even get me started on the USCC competition...

I was in Walmart today looking at magazines & low brow Super Street was the last import rag standing.
Primedia filed bankruptcy maybe 5 years ago or so and went private and turned into Source Interlink... they've cut a lot of their titles. Only a couple to a few months ago Honda Tuning and Import Tuner were dropped. We're living in such a strange time... the internet really shook things up... a lot of companies are still trying to hold on... it's too bad they were not able to adapt to the internet and give us Sport Compact Car online... but I don't blame em' for not going that route. The UK mag Max Power is done too... I think Drift Tengoku is still going... and I'm sure Option Magazine is still going along with the million other JDM magazines. Speedhunters is cool to look at... but for me... doesn't compare at all to SCC or even the others.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:48 PM   #18
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
http://performancetunermagazine.com/Home.html
Old 01-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #19
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^Wow. That's cool. Never heard of them. Gonna check that out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dac2828 View Post
Primedia filed bankruptcy maybe 5 years ago or so and went private and turned into Source Interlink... they've cut a lot of their titles. Only a couple to a few months ago Honda Tuning and Import Tuner were dropped. We're living in such a strange time... the internet really shook things up... a lot of companies are still trying to hold on... it's too bad they were not able to adapt to the internet and give us Sport Compact Car online... but I don't blame em' for not going that route. The UK mag Max Power is done too... I think Drift Tengoku is still going... and I'm sure Option Magazine is still going along with the million other JDM magazines. Speedhunters is cool to look at... but for me... doesn't compare at all to SCC or even the others.
Yeah, the only thing I can think of the compares to SCC that has transitioned into an online presence is MOTOIQ. http://www.motoiq.com/home.aspx
Old 01-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #20
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
grassroots

TougeHero.com l SilviaV8forums.com
0100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #21
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0100 View Post
grassroots
blahs... I had a subscription years ago and every now and then they send me a free one. Boring.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:43 PM   #22
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Two best magazines still on the market...

DSport, formally Drag. Been around for ages, they layout, paper quality and editing is fantastic. They also do great tech articles, part comparisons and builds. The models are also fantastic and the photos are top notch. Available at Barns and Noble if you wan to look.

https://dsportmag.com

The other magazine is S3. Not focused on performance reviews and crap but more so on car culture and highlighting some awesome owners and their rad builds. These guys are basically a grassroots indy group. They don't promise a magazine every month but they are 100% legit.

http://s3mag.com/blog/

Like I said, these guys are awesome and 100% heart.

Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #23
dac2828

S3 is an awesome magazine... very unique... the guys that make it most certainly do have a lot of heart. Performance Tuner Magazine looks interesting... $50 for a one year subscription... good to hear some business people have not given up on print thou. I wonder where the people who made Import Tuner and Honda Tuning and so on are now... I know a lot of it all merged with Super Street.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:53 AM   #24
AFSil80
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
AFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AFSil80 Send a message via MSN to AFSil80
I know the S3 guys personally...they're engrained in the scene which is why they put out a decent magazine IN PRINT during this digital age.

Definitely worth the subscription.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #25
Highway Riding
Zilvia Addict

Highway Riding is an unknown quantity at this point
Believe or not I still prefer glossy mags over IPAD for bathroom pooping... Call me crazy but I love them all like the ones mentioned and the regs like car and driver and some higher end mags like rob report
Old 02-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #26
djtomy

djtomy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead55 View Post
away for a while? like in jail?

worse..

I'll tell his family
Dsport
S3
Thank you for all the replies
djtomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:05 PM   #27
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
Drift Life magazine just launched its first issue...
Reviews seem great so far.