Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
irritatedmax
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
irritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
"Bro"

The term "Bro".

Positive (a name you call your close friends)? Or, negative (a douche)?

It appears to carry a negative connotation on this site. I would like to rectify the situation.

Discuss.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
used to be cool when it was part of skater slang
(at least in my skating days)

now I think of 'roided out MMA meat heads wearing Affliction and Tap-Out clothing...
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
allntrlundrgrnd
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (17)
allntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
I think it depends on the context if it is negative or positive.

Like if i respond saying "Yeah, bro," I'm probably talking to a friend or acquaintance.

If I say "Aw dude bro totally" its probably in response to someone acting like a "bro" (read tool, d-bag, asshole)
allntrlundrgrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
driftsilvias13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (54)
driftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
BROCAL BRO.

When I think of this term, I instantly think of the white boys with sunglasses and the lifted trucks and big "SKIN" sticker across the back.

Or I think of GLENDALE.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Socal 909 bro-central
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
D.Adams
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
D.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to D.Adams Send a message via MSN to D.Adams
BRO can i get a FIST PUMP ..

BRO is like saying hella or hellaflush its played the fuck out

The build
http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...u-city-az.html

Owner of NVS Fabrications
D.Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
bro only reminds me of two things....white trash 909ers with lifted rado's and coked out blonds.......and nieko!

LOOOOVE YOU NIIIEEEKKKOOOO!
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
LeftNutOfGowd
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
LeftNutOfGowd is close to perfectionLeftNutOfGowd is close to perfectionLeftNutOfGowd is close to perfectionLeftNutOfGowd is close to perfectionLeftNutOfGowd is close to perfectionLeftNutOfGowd is close to perfectionLeftNutOfGowd is close to perfectionLeftNutOfGowd is close to perfectionLeftNutOfGowd is close to perfectionLeftNutOfGowd is close to perfectionLeftNutOfGowd is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to LeftNutOfGowd
I like bro hoes

LeftNutOfGowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
cali_love
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
cali_love is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13bdafocker View Post

werd lol soo played out
Old 02-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
Soup Nazi
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
Soup Nazi has a reputation beyond reputeSoup Nazi has a reputation beyond reputeSoup Nazi has a reputation beyond reputeSoup Nazi has a reputation beyond reputeSoup Nazi has a reputation beyond reputeSoup Nazi has a reputation beyond reputeSoup Nazi has a reputation beyond reputeSoup Nazi has a reputation beyond reputeSoup Nazi has a reputation beyond reputeSoup Nazi has a reputation beyond reputeSoup Nazi has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Cosmo Kramers- Man Bra.

Bro
Nissanparts.cc... Enjuku-Racing

Ever bought anything from me?
Leave a review
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=200877
Soup Nazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Yea bro here doesn't mean you are a douche. Bra however does.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
irritatedmax
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
irritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Haha. This is interesting.

I just call a d-bag a d-bag.

I tend to use bro in a positive light when referencing my buddies. For the record, we don't fit into the affliction/lifted truck/jersey category. Well one kind of does, and we call him a d. Haha.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
Iron_Zenki
Zilvia Junkie

Iron_Zenki is an unknown quantity at this point
I have stoped using the word bro around my buddys since i am in the 951 near the 909 area were like we said lifted trucks douches ect.... but here on the forum it does not have the same meaning
Iron_Zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
It all depends on how its said.

And skaters and snowborders say "Brah", btw, lol

I think it pick up some negativity because of the over use by cultures and races that are new to the United States over using it.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #15
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I've never warmed up to using the term myself.
However, I see no reason to take offense either.
The term is neither negative or positive, but a little corny/annoying perhaps.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoNegra View Post
Socal 909 bro-central
I think you meant to say 9Bro9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdon View Post
I've never warmed up to using the term myself.
I've taken to using it sardonically, and I fear that one day I might be misinterpreted.

You see, I have a dislike for Bro-trucks, Bro-hos, and all things BRO, know what I mean BRO? Bro-rape is very serious, BRO. Know what I mean, BROTATO?

Honestly though - when people have a tendency to use the word more than once in a 10 minute span (or within an email/PM), I want to pull my hair out and make with the stabbing.

I DO dislike douchebags with lifted trucks that have never (and will never) go off the pavement, and are just lifted to look cool. These BROs with their hats cocked at seemingly random angles, with their TOTALLY SWEET tribal tattoo on their biceps are so oblivious to the fact that their efforts to be cool only make them look more retarded that it actually pains me. :ghey:

Ok, fun rant over. I don't care that much, but I do mock Bros and anyone who can't speak without using the word.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #17
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
its used too much by tools themselves lol

like calling someone a tool lol
Old 02-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #18
iwannaslyde
Zilvia Member

iwannaslyde is an unknown quantity at this point
i use it. i take no offense to it. nor does it mean anything negative lol
iwannaslyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #19
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
i don't say bro too much..i do say dude and "man" a lot though lol

whassup dude?

whassup man?
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #20
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmephistopheles View Post
I think you meant to say 9Bro9.

I've taken to using it sardonically, and I fear that one day I might be misinterpreted.

You see, I have a dislike for Bro-trucks, Bro-hos, and all things BRO, know what I mean BRO? Bro-rape is very serious, BRO. Know what I mean, BROTATO?

Honestly though - when people have a tendency to use the word more than once in a 10 minute span (or within an email/PM), I want to pull my hair out and make with the stabbing.

I DO dislike douchebags with lifted trucks that have never (and will never) go off the pavement, and are just lifted to look cool. These BROs with their hats cocked at seemingly random angles, with their TOTALLY SWEET tribal tattoo on their biceps are so oblivious to the fact that their efforts to be cool only make them look more retarded that it actually pains me. :ghey:

Ok, fun rant over. I don't care that much, but I do mock Bros and anyone who can't speak without using the word.
Well, pretty much using any term (bar out of mockery, as I think you say) is a bit awkward.
I do think there are worse things to say.

My least favorite is
"You know what I'm sayin'"? (over & over).
I know it's not intentional,
but that's about the most terrible thing you can say to insult your audience's intelligence imo.

"Old School" also gets on my nerves.
Come on, at least make some effort to state the decade something is from.
Kids these days will call stuff from the early 00's "Old School".
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #21
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13bdafocker View Post

Hella is not nearly as bad as BRO. Of course Hella is a bay area thing. Anyone else claiming it is trying to jump on it.

Oh and the fist pump bullshit is all MTV and Small minority of people on the east coast inflicted. No one would even know about it if not for MTV and its lowest common denominator Television.

Hellaflush is a actual thing that happened. There are Hellaflush meets and cars its different. You should not even be including it as a comparison.

BRO is not so much played out as just awful uneducated slang terminology. Its very Glendale California. LOL a certain recently arrived ethnic culture loves to use it. In fact my buddy Mike calls Glendale, Brodale.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #22
udon!
Nissanaholic!

udon! is an unknown quantity at this point
whenever i use that word i use it by accident, and then i think, wait, did i really just say that?
udon! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #23
awesomenick
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (33)
awesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
bro truck - Google Search

The internet speaks.
awesomenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #24
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Whenever I see or hear someone using "bro" my mind usually thinks about Tool Academy. Spiked hair, tribal tattoos, popped collars, that horrible-smelling shit that Abercrombie uses to contaminate a whole 3rd of our mall here.
Luckily, though, I only see these people on the internets and television regularly, so I do not have any reason to act on my urge to catch an assault charge.

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #25
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
when ever i hear it i think young Cali armenians from burbank/glendale area...

i swear everysentence its bro in the begining and in the end... just tellin it how it is/./

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #26
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdon View Post
my least favorite is
"you know what i'm sayin'"? (over & over).
I know it's not intentional,
but that's about the most terrible thing you can say to insult your audience's intelligence imo.
naaahhh meeeennnn?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #27
ViciousCesar!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
ViciousCesar! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Bro...

ViciousCesar! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #28
murda-c
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
Is say brother. I enjoy it, make me happy.

Don't say bro much. but iunno i'm friends with a lot of whiteboys so it happens. Doesn't bother me though.

I call people bruh too.

And dude.

And several words I'll get pinked if i tell you.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #29
Persona
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Persona is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I mostly use it sarcastically these days lol.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #30
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
"bro", "brah", fist bumping, and "clutch" are all used regularly by me, but, you know, ironically
even though i use them all day every day