Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
gostrider
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
gostrider is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
SPC tension Arms failed

After 8 months of DD my car with spc tension arms they are completely busted on both sides. I called SPC and all they could say is that they were installed incorrect Not sure how these could be installed incorrect its just 3 bolts. I sent them photos in hopes of them replacing them under their life time warranty. Will update with out come on this matter.

BTW These were purchase new

Old 11-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Well, that was a cool story.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
zo0d
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
zo0d is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tell it again, bro.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
they can definitely be installed incorrectly, they must be tightened with the vehicle on the ground otherwise the load isnt positioned proper on the bushing. this goes for all bushings and ime is a real pita with no lift.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Rubber bushings... Go sperical.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
mitcheyismyname
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
mitcheyismyname is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
What inopsey said....or you could jack up the front until the suspension is fully compressed and then tighten down. My buddy has been riding on SPC tension rods for 2 1/2 years....the arms are just fine. Sucks to see that though. Wanna sell me them?
Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
JSimpson
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (15)
JSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
ya you definitely installed them wrong. car needs to be in the ground when they're tight. Shitty design anyway, suspension will be in a bind unless the car is sitting flat and still... dumb. Just go spherical. Ebay spherical work great and feels much much better
Old 11-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
I for one think this thread is interesting, people always want to see what will happen when products fail and warranty issues arise.

Though he MAY have installed them different than suggested, I don't see how it can be proved/ how they can refuse to cover it. If they do in fact refuse to cover it due to that reasoning, can't that simply be a blanket excuse for any and all problems in the future with this particular arm?
Old 11-08-2012, 01:48 AM   #9
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
we had this happen at a shop i used to work at. they were installed correctly (ie, left loose until suspension compressed, then tightened and aligned) customer returned about 2 weeks later with complaints of clunking, both sides the bushings were completely torn up. After much complaining SPC sent us another set, but the customer wised up and just bought some tein tension rods.

my question is this, if oem ones can last as long as they do (usually 100k+) before they shit the bed, then why the fuck can't SPC make theirs do the same???

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTER-M View Post
Though he MAY have installed them different than suggested, I don't see how it can be proved/ how they can refuse to cover it. If they do in fact refuse to cover it due to that reasoning, can't that simply be a blanket excuse for any and all problems in the future with this particular arm?
Bingo. This is why warranties are useless, if they don't feel like upholding their end or you don't have proof of your correct use/installation, there is nothing saying they have to oblige by their warranty, besides ruining their name on the internet.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
jesse_s13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
jesse_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
we had this happen at a shop i used to work at. they were installed correctly (ie, left loose until suspension compressed, then tightened and aligned) customer returned about 2 weeks later with complaints of clunking, both sides the bushings were completely torn up. After much complaining SPC sent us another set, but the customer wised up and just bought some tein tension rods.

my question is this, if oem ones can last as long as they do (usually 100k+) before they shit the bed, then why the fuck can't SPC make theirs do the same???
bingo. Ebay ones last longer.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
garagelu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (60)
garagelu is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 60 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc. View Post
Bingo. This is why warranties are useless, if they don't feel like upholding their end or you don't have proof of your correct use/installation, there is nothing saying they have to oblige by their warranty, besides ruining their name on the internet.
Buy SPL parts arms and see what they say when you call them with any problems. They stand behind their product 100%.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #13
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelu View Post
Buy SPL parts arms and see what they say when you call them with any problems. They stand behind their product 100%.
Also, you won't have to worry about stupid bullshit problems with Spl parts, their stuff is top quality, straight outta the box.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
johnnysombrero
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (13)
johnnysombrero is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johnnysombrero
SPL Fitment is top notch. Buy once and be done with it.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #15
MamangSorbetero
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
MamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the roughMamangSorbetero is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I bought my 240SX with these arms installed

They have failed even though they were installed correctly. Being a cheap-ass I just bought Energy Suspension bushings for it; hopefully I can press them in. Super dangerous not being able to turn correctly or break evenly.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #16
kOOpA
Zilvia Junkie

kOOpA is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a sustained brain fart and assumed this thread was about SPL for the first few minutes. Lol wtf is SPC?
Old 11-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #17
ComicArtist
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
ComicArtist is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kOOpA View Post
I had a sustained brain fart and assumed this thread was about SPL for the first few minutes. Lol wtf is SPC?
Lol same here. I was under the impression that SPL used spherical bushings until I caught onto the SPL/SPC thing...
Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelu View Post
I have SPL arms, almost exclusively. I know they stand by their product and have good quality. But I don't know who SPC is and don't recommend trusting warranties for any other e-bay, wannabe parts company.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #19
gostrider
Zilvia Addict

Spc is willng to sell me a set of arms for 78$..thats what they will do to help the issue..
Old 11-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #20
Drift_86
Post Whore!

Drift_86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dose any one know if you can install energy bushing on Spl tension rod

Want to roll fenders, custom gauge pod pm me
Old 11-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #21
Bushido
Post Whore!

Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
^SPL tension rods dont have bushings, they have a spherical bearing.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
gostrider
Zilvia Addict

question is should I buy these again or go with megan racing or another brand?
Old 11-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #23
Bushido
Post Whore!

get part shop max tension rods, i've had mine for 5 years, no complaints
Old 11-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #24
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Buy SPL tension rods. Kuah and gang take good care of us, why not take good care of them?

PSM is another good brand and those guys care about the community as well.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #25
Drift_86
Post Whore!

Drift_86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
^SPL tension rods dont have bushings, they have a spherical bearing.
I mean spc....

Want to roll fenders, custom gauge pod pm me
Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #26
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
In the tension arms, I see no true fix this side of a real deal spherical bearing, regardless of brand. However elsewhere I see no issue running SPC. I've had their parts on my car, and other cars for years, with MANY track days, without issue...in fact I wish their rear toe arms were spherical as they are much nicer than even the cheapest junk.

With most parts, you need to consider their usage and warranty. Stinks SPC won't cover it, but if your car is slammed and not aligned, I can't blame them either.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #27
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamangSorbetero View Post
I bought my 240SX with these arms installed

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/drtHH.png[/IM]

They have failed even though they were installed correctly. Being a cheap-ass I just bought Energy Suspension bushings for it; hopefully I can press them in. Super dangerous not being able to turn correctly or break evenly.
If you bought them installed, how do you know they were done correctly?
Also stay the fuck away from ES, unless you want to lube them up every 6k miles or so
Old 11-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #28
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
NISMO makes a bushing that goes in the stock tension arm. I've had mine for a while and they still look good. They are nice to have when driving on the streets and it's really not hard to tighten the bolt with the car on blocks of wood.

I tried the 3 piece ES ones. Didn't like them.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #29
kOOpA
Zilvia Junkie

kOOpA is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy quality parts, and have less problems when/IF they need to be replaced.

Buy crap parts, and you'll be creating threads like this.

If you're such a smart guy by saving the money, but you are about to buy pair #2 of whatever crap you can find, it wasn't so smart, eh?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #30
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Are people here really calling SPC an ebay wannabe brand??

You guys need to do some fucking research. SPC is for people who want full adjustability with an OEM-like feel, hence the rubber bushings.