Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
2stepGoesPowPow
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
2stepGoesPowPow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
s15 S15 differential, HELP!

A local shop is selling an S15 diff, I need it for my 2jz swap in my S13 and from my research I need the one with the 4.083 final drive, the shop doesn't know what the final drive is and I don't want to buy it for nothing can anyone verify from these pictures I took of it? Or know a way I can tell? Thanks

2stepGoesPowPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Like I told you in pms. You need to open the diff
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Pretty sure an s15 diff housing will not bolt up to your subframe without modifications.

The internals will swap out though.
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
2stepGoesPowPow
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
Like I told you in pms. You need to open the diff
I went to see the diff at a jdm warehouse, they just got a s15 rear subframe in and they were willing to part the diff out of it for me but not willing to open the rear plate
Old 11-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
oni jake
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
oni jake is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Pretty sure the housing is the same. I've heard of people dropping S15 subframes into S14's all the time with zero problems. Might have a problem with the front two bushings, but shouldn't be bad.

Gear ratio depends if it was a manual or automatic car. Straight from the FSM

Applied model M/T / A/T
Final drive model R200H / R200V
Gear ratio 3.692 / 3.916
Number of teeth 48/13 / 47/12
oni jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
oni jake
Zilvia Junkie

YAY! Forum removes spaces to accurately display a grid.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
2stepGoesPowPow
Zilvia Addict

I could probably get away with using the 3.9 final drive diff but the guy said its the diff from a 6 speed not an automatic
Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
You'll be fine with the 4.083 ratio. The only way to tell is to crack the case. I'd want to crack it more so to verify that it is an LSD of some type and I'm not getting the shaft.

You could pick up a Q45 3.6 VLSD but then you have to swap axles. Another option is to grab a 350Z diff and mod your subframe to accommodate, which will also hold more power.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
oni jake
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stepGoesPowPow View Post
I could probably get away with using the 3.9 final drive diff but the guy said its the diff from a 6 speed not an automatic
The 4.08 is the most common and not at all hard to find. I believe they are sold in every USDM open diff S13 and S14 chassis.

I guess it really depends how much money he wants for it. 3.6 final drives sell for quiet a bit. They're perfect for N/A KA's. Plus, having options is always a good thing for when you go to the track.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
Xicor01
Zilvia Member

Xicor01 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a Q45 and the Q45 driver side axle for sale. so all you would need is the z32 driver axle. the q45 is a 3.54 VLSD and is recommended for the 2jz swap
Xicor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
2stepGoesPowPow
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
You'll be fine with the 4.083 ratio. The only way to tell is to crack the case. I'd want to crack it more so to verify that it is an LSD of some type and I'm not getting the shaft.

You could pick up a Q45 3.6 VLSD but then you have to swap axles. Another option is to grab a 350Z diff and mod your subframe to accommodate, which will also hold more power.
i have the 6 bolt axels, are those from S14's? i think someone told me S13's usually come with 5 bolt axels? also I'm just looking for a relatively bolt in install, also when i first bought my car the previous owner said it had a "R32 VLSD" i swapped it out for a welded back when i had my SR in the car. i wonder what the final drive is on that thing... lol
Old 11-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
Guilty1s
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Guilty1s is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If it isn't the drive ratio you want, all you would have to do is put your ring and pinion from your open 4.083 pumpkin and use the differential from the s15 inside. The diff has nothing to do with gear ratio. It is all in the ring and pinion which are almost all swappable throughout the past few decades of Nissan cars.

But.... One way you can tell is spin the tail shaft and compare it to how much it turns the axle shafts.

It should take about 4.083 turns to make turn the axle 1 time... do it multiple times and you can be more sure.

If it take 20.4 turns to turn the tail shaft 5 times it is a 4.083
If it take 19.5 turns to turn the tail shaft 5 times it is a ~3.9
If it take 17.5 turns to turn the tail shaft 5 times it is a ~3.5
Guilty1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stepGoesPowPow View Post
i have the 6 bolt axels, are those from S14's? i think someone told me S13's usually come with 5 bolt axels? also I'm just looking for a relatively bolt in install, also when i first bought my car the previous owner said it had a "R32 VLSD" i swapped it out for a welded back when i had my SR in the car. i wonder what the final drive is on that thing... lol
Yes, S14/S15/J30/NA Z32 and possibly a few others had that pattern on the axle output shafts.

Not all S13's have the 5 bolt outputs.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
2stepGoesPowPow
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty1s View Post
If it isn't the drive ratio you want, all you would have to do is put your ring and pinion from your open 4.083 pumpkin and use the differential from the s15 inside. The diff has nothing to do with gear ratio. It is all in the ring and pinion which are almost all swappable throughout the past few decades of Nissan cars.

But.... One way you can tell is spin the tail shaft and compare it to how much it turns the axle shafts.

It should take about 4.083 turns to make turn the axle 1 time... do it multiple times and you can be more sure.

If it take 20.4 turns to turn the tail shaft 5 times it is a 4.083
If it take 19.5 turns to turn the tail shaft 5 times it is a ~3.9
If it take 17.5 turns to turn the tail shaft 5 times it is a ~3.5
thanks a lot for that info thats pretty smart, im gunna post in the 2jz swapped s chassis thread, a bunch of 240 vlsd's have the 4.08 ratio final drive i dont get why they dont just use that... like this

JDM Nisan Silvia S13 Viscous LSD Rear Differential 4.1 240SX 180SX SR20DET VLSD | eBay
Old 11-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
oni jake
Zilvia Junkie

Isn't the pinion from S15 pumpkins different from all the others because of the speed sensor? If so, it's not as simple as swapping out.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #16
2stepGoesPowPow
Zilvia Addict

i pretty much got all my questions answered, i dont really NEED an S15 diff. pretty much anything 3.5-4.08 ratio, id use a J30 but i want something w/ 6 bolt shaft's, but i heard swapping the diff shafts are easy? because i have my spare vlsd i could swap the shaft's from.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #17
oni jake
Zilvia Junkie

Cool, glad you got it situated. Keep the world informed which one you like and where you're using it.

Swapping output shafts are cake. Beat them out with a hammer or use a pry bar. It doesn't require alot of force.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #18
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just got an S15 pumpkin to fit on my s13, so here are some more infos:

1/as stated above, there is no 4.xx drive on them. 3.7 on the helical diff (manual 6 speed), 3.9 on the VLSD diff( auto gearbox) .

2/ the pumpkin fits the s13 subframe, you have to swap the backplate though. Bolt holes are not the same so you may have to replace the bolts. If you fit an S14 subframe, you also need to get all the suspension arms, they are not the same. S14 subframe is told to be better too (and are the same as the S15 ones, maybe with less bracing)

3/the S15 helical diff is a really good addition to any grip car, but it is not worth it on a drift car. seeing as you are fitting a 2jz in an S13, the rear will be all over the place (unless you modded the firewall to get a foot of your engine in the cabin) , so maybe that is not what you want.

I did not know these gearings were so pupular in the US. I will try the S15 3.7 gearing first, but my tuner also has a 4.1 one, and i already own a 3.9 one as standard (S13 w/ca18det have a 3.9 in europe)

If someone want to buy my original 3.9 and maybe my 3.7, you can drop me a pm (although shippng price might be an issue as they are heavy and i live the other side of the atlantic).
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #19
OutToWinPAHC
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
OutToWinPAHC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OutToWinPAHC
When I did it I used a S14 case, input pinion and ring gear with the nismo bolts. This eliminated the Diff speed sensor, and was bolt in. I used Energy suspension bushings over solid (order for Z32). No axles, no new drive shaft and this was in my LS6 S13
OutToWinPAHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #20
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oni jake View Post
Isn't the pinion from S15 pumpkins different from all the others because of the speed sensor? If so, it's not as simple as swapping out.
It's identical to the S14 ABS housing... Nothing special about it.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #21
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Some s13s have five bolt, some have six

Same problem with j30 and q45. If you get on from the right year it bolts right in no problem
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #22
simplistek
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
simplistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Fs: s15 pumpkin/internals, missing output shafts $200

Delete. My bad.

Last edited by simplistek; 10-18-2015 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Thought I was posting new thread
simplistek is offline   Reply With Quote