Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #31
WERDdabuilder
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
WERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainvelazquez View Post
Since were here can some one make a rebuild write up step by step cuz I seen some but a detailed step by step would be awesome and Wat kinda lubes are used n stuff I mean since some after seeing this thread will want to powder coat n since its pretty much a must or a good idea to rebuild after a powder coat thought it help us all i having more pics up later
I'm actually taking my rears apart n rebulding after i get them powder coated ill show them up once I get them back
its pretty straight forward. dont need to take your calipers apart. remove piston by blowing air into it. i put a piece of wood between the pistons so the pistons didnt pop all the way out. make it easier for the other pistons to move out also. remove old seals/boot/rings. replace with new ones. probably takes less then 30min to do.

googling should come up with enough answers for rebuilding.

you can order the kit from
Brake Caliper Rebuild Kits
everything you need comes with it.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #32
2iv0 sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
amateur night guys

taking apart the halves is risky and troublesome. all good, you'll all find out in due time. if you restore them, dont do a fully disassembly... only the pistons
Do tell...

Here's one recently. Right or wrong way?
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/447190...ld-thread.html
2iv0 sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #33
revat619
Retired General

Trader Rating: (7)
revat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
From my old car....some random high temp gold paint from auto zone and red touch up paint for the letters. Cheap, but I thought it was pretty cool. Gonna powdercoat this time around though.

Instagram: @rjsladerade
revat619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #34
WERDdabuilder
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
WERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2iv0 sx View Post
Do tell...

Here's one recently. Right or wrong way?
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/447190...ld-thread.html
you cant get new o-rings from the dealer if say...you fuck them up(they expand/etc). and i believe the fsm says you shouldnt take them apart. so that shit isnt necessary. someone correct me if im wrong.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #35
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
wrinkle black.

dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #36
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
I want to see more pics of painted calipers installed on cars.. Also this thread should be powdercoated brake calipers instead of just specifically Z32 brakes
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #37
rainvelazquez
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
rainvelazquez is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOnesxWai View Post
I want to see more pics of painted calipers installed on cars.. Also this thread should be powdercoated brake calipers instead of just specifically Z32 brakes
yeah it dont have to be z32 but i was guessing most would have z32
keep the pics coming
rainvelazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #38
mxexux
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
mxexux is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Damn, I just sold my car that I had powder coated Z32 front calipers on. Powder coating was orange. I'll see if I can find a pic...
mxexux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #39
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews

gold spraypaint and a red paint marker.

painted them ON the car. BALLER> picture me rollin.

(backside of the calipers arent even painted. lol)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #40
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

... not so BALLER

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #41
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I need to look for a place locally to do my Evo Brembo's...I'm thinking Porsche yellow...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #42
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
I need to look for a place locally to do my Evo Brembo's...I'm thinking Porsche yellow...
What color is your car, I forget... white?

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 04-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #43
rainvelazquez
Leaky Injector

Hey guys i was wondering how the prices for powder coating go
Is the price for each/set of calipers
Want to get an idea of how much ill be spending
Old 04-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #44
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainvelazquez View Post
Hey guys i was wondering how the prices for powder coating go
Is the price for each/set of calipers
Want to get an idea of how much ill be spending
The more you need done the more it cost... pretty much like anything in life. And prices will vary greatly between locations and regions. So it's not going to do you any good to find out what other people have paid. Just go into your local powder coating joint and ask them for a rough quote. I guarantee you they have done calipers before and should be able to give you an idea of what you are looking at.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #45
rainvelazquez
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
The more you need done the more it cost... pretty much like anything in life. And prices will vary greatly between locations and regions. So it's not going to do you any good to find out what other people have paid. Just go into your local powder coating joint and ask them for a rough quote. I guarantee you they have done calipers before and should be able to give you an idea of what you are looking at.
Will do thanks
Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #46
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
see guys, this is what happens when you get too many posts -- too much bullshit. Example below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOnesxWai View Post
Yea, best to remove all bolts and take out the piston. You have to get new seals because they will melt in the powdercoating process. I can imagine taking out a melted seal w/piston would be a b%$!h
Seriously? Use your head and think how hot brakes get, they get way hotter than the 300-400°F which is what powdercoaters cook their parts at. Caliper seals are all capable of those temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERDdabuilder View Post
you cant get new o-rings from the dealer if say...you fuck them up(they expand/etc). and i believe the fsm says you shouldnt take them apart. so that shit isnt necessary. someone correct me if im wrong.
Correcto, the caliper halves should never be disassembled. Not to say I havent made that mistake (maybe 10 years ago?). Some calipers did come apart, others sheared the threads as the bolts tend to seize inside the caliper. Again, NOT worth the hassle.

The piston seals & dust boots, you can remove. No sense in being a miser about that since most people overhaul them during rebuild.

Damn... I never thought I'de be the smart guy around here. Shows you that even idiots like me can know something if you do it long enough.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #47
blacksmith
Leaky Injector

blacksmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

gold spraypaint and a red paint marker.

painted them ON the car. BALLER> picture me rollin.

What calipers are these? R32 GT-R? Call me a hipster but I don't like how z32 calipers have "ribs" on them, for lack of a better term. Purely cosmetic but I prefer the smooth look like this.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #48
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
B.I.N.G.O.

R32 GTR calipers and rotors (brand new Nissan rotors, actually)

These look so much cooler than any of the Z32 brakes.

HOT BRAKES. HOT LOOKS.

clearcorners.com
Old 04-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #49
joshchewuhh
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (56)
joshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 56 reviews
Send a message via AIM to joshchewuhh

autozone caliper spray
joshchewuhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #50
Lugged

Trader Rating: (1)
Lugged is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
Correcto, the caliper halves should never be disassembled. Not to say I havent made that mistake (maybe 10 years ago?). Some calipers did come apart, others sheared the threads as the bolts tend to seize inside the caliper. Again, NOT worth the hassle.

The piston seals & dust boots, you can remove. No sense in being a miser about that since most people overhaul them during rebuild.

Damn... I never thought I'de be the smart guy around here. Shows you that even idiots like me can know something if you do it long enough.
So what's the long term consequences of this? I'm just curious because I just rebuilt my caliper lol...
Lugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #51
Backintoans13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Backintoans13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Digging this thread here are mine, pics is hard to take of the color, they sometime come out blue but they purple

Backintoans13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #52
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshchewuhh View Post

autozone caliper spray
What color exactly? Looks a bit more intense than the gold
Old 04-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #53
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Splitting the z32 caliper to powdercoat shouldn't be a problem... as mentioned you can get the entire rebuild kit including the rubber seals you need after splitting them in half here
Front Brake Caliper Rebuild Kit

Shouldn't be a problem if you want to keep them together either.

Anyone use clear coat on their calipers and NOT have it yellow? All the ones I've tried have yellowed and flake.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:08 AM   #54
Tuloabe617
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
Tuloabe617 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintoans13 View Post
Digging this thread here are mine, pics is hard to take of the color, they sometime come out blue but they purple

I am actually planning on doing something very similar to this. Looks great! Do you know the color name/code? Do you have any pictures of the whole car with them installed? Thanks in advance!
Tuloabe617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #55
Nintensity
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (22)
Nintensity is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
Splitting the z32 caliper to powdercoat shouldn't be a problem... as mentioned you can get the entire rebuild kit including the rubber seals you need after splitting them in half here
Front Brake Caliper Rebuild Kit

Shouldn't be a problem if you want to keep them together either.

Anyone use clear coat on their calipers and NOT have it yellow? All the ones I've tried have yellowed and flake.
I wonder if they have a rear brake caliper rebuild kit too... I couldnt find it on the site
Nintensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #56
Backintoans13
Zilvia Addict

Not trying to say other ppl in here are wrong BUT....there is NOTHING wrong with separating the calipers. Have rebuilt quite a few z32 calipers and my brembo calipers on my old 350z. Worked great!!! Lots of ppl will say don't separate em but for those that have, I'm sure they can confirm also there isn't anything wrong with them, work perfectly fine after you put em back together. Just sayin...
Old 04-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #57
Backintoans13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuloabe617 View Post
I am actually planning on doing something very similar to this. Looks great! Do you know the color name/code? Do you have any pictures of the whole car with them installed? Thanks in advance!
Sorry boss...dont have any at the time, still doing my suspension build so cars still on jack stands, wheels and tires should go on in a couple of weeks as far as color goes I'll have to get the website that my powder coater goes to but I know that it's a candy purple, like I said, don't have an official ordering # or anything but just ask for a candy purple with your powder coater
Old 04-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #58
Backintoans13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintensity View Post
I wonder if they have a rear brake caliper rebuild kit too... I couldnt find it on the site
I always get my front rebuild kit from courtesyparts.com When I first rebuilt my z32 calipers yrs ago they also sold the rear rebuild kit, havent been able to find a set for quite sometime now, if you have any luck finding some please
post where you got em!!!
Old 04-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #59
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
I bought my rebuilt kit at Napa on my first set of Z brakes. 25-30 bucks for fronts. Ikinda regret selling my calipers but i had to.
Edwin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #60
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintoans13 View Post
Not trying to say other ppl in here are wrong BUT....there is NOTHING wrong with separating the calipers. Have rebuilt quite a few z32 calipers and my brembo calipers on my old 350z. Worked great!!! Lots of ppl will say don't separate em but for those that have, I'm sure they can confirm also there isn't anything wrong with them, work perfectly fine after you put em back together. Just sayin...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERDdabuilder View Post
and i believe the fsm says you shouldnt take them apart. so that shit isnt necessary. someone correct me if im wrong.
backintoan, just because you did something doesnt mean its correct/advisable. i have done the same in the past, many calipers removed alum material from the caliper when disassembled due to the bolts seizing. i have not done 2-5 pairs, i've rebuilt maybe 40 pairs of calipers over the years. i stopped disassembling the halves a LONG time ago, not worth the risks of stripping the aluminum.

FSM says things for a reason, i'de have to say that the FSM in almost all cases is correct. furthermore, what specs are you using for torque values? all of this matters.

bottom line, not disassembling the halves is LESS work and perfectly reliable. to-date, i have NEVER heard of one caliper halve leaking. has anyone seen this before?
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote