Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-01-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Trader Rating: (1)
MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s13 S13 rear subframe, 5 lug, brakes, diff questions

So my s13 rear subframe has been tweaked for months now, shit's gotta go. Someday in the near future, aka, my winter project is:
  • Replace my rear subframe
  • Go with solid subframe bushings
  • Go 5 lug at the same time
  • Upgrade the brakes to larger caliper.
  • Keep cable e-brake if possible... Otherwise step up to hydraulic
  • Add rear multilink
  • Go to 4.4 final drive
  • Goal: Keep/Re-use my 2way s13 non-vlsd/non-abs Kaaz
  • Goal: Keep/Re-use my s13 coilovers
  • Goal: Minimize labor & costs, do most of the work out of car and install as a unit.

I've just recently started researching this project, so help me out here! My ideas so far:

Option 1: Pick up a junkyard s13 subframe, some s14 hubs, Z32 brakes (ebrake hassle), bushings, rear multilink, 4.4 r&p. Install FD into and swap over my pumpkin/kaaz. Possibly the cheapest option and less Frankenstein than my other idea(s).. Rather not go hydraulic ebrake just yet, but am highly considering it if necessary .

Option 2: I think an R32 rear subframe bolts to s13, can anyone confirm this? If so, I could source a complete r32 rear: subframe+diff+axles+arms+hubs+rotors+calipers. Add bushings and multilink (s13 and r32 rear arms are identical??). afaik The GTS/GTS-T's (non GTR) came with 4.4 R&P and I believe it's also an r200 housing, but it has 5 bolt output shafts iirc. Can I swap my Kaaz into the new pumpkin? Would the driveshaft length still be correct? I believe I would probably also need rear HICAS eliminator.. This is the way I'm leaning, but it sounds cobbled together and frankensteinish... Also not sure about the diff or coilover re-use issue.

Option 3: Does the s14 rear subframe bolt into s13? If so I could probably find one complete with 5 lug+brakes+open diff, add bushings and multilink, source 4.4s and swap my pumpkin. Similar to option 2, but swap my kaaz across... Shelved for now I'm interested in a bolt on solution, not something requiring fabrication

I know a couple of you guys have done similar upgrades, so any help or input would be appreciated... I'm open to the other ideas as well as long as they meet most/all of my goals above. Thanks guys
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
S14 subframe is wider, you'll need to either make (or buy, someone had some) offset bushings to line up to the mounting studs.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Thanks for the quick reply, wasn't aware of that fact. I'd rather not have to fabricate anything if possible so I'll shelve the s14 subframe option for now. Any input on the r32 subframe?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
I've seen a lot of them but never measured. Someone else needs to get on that question.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 11-01-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Alright... Just doing some more research on this and found a couple links I'll share since I don't see another r32 subframe->s13 thread here on zilvia (pls link me if u know of one).

FWIW, according to user Karay240 on Hybridz.org, the r32 is a direct swap for the s13 and is stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karay240
Actually, the R32 subframe is not the same as the S14 & 15. The 32 subframes are a direct bolt-on for S13, but stronger (reenforced). The S14 & 15 subframes are not identical, but are interchangeable, as with the R33 (& I THINK the R34) subframe.
R32 rear subframe pic:

Here's another page (written by our own Slidin240Wayz/Carlos) that mentions R32 subframe onto S13.

It brings up but never addresses my 2 concerns, rear lower shock mount (need z32 coilover bottoms?) and ABS driveshaft/pumpkin differences. If anyone has input on these two issues I would like to hear.. Carlos?
Old 11-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
SILEIGHTY_DET
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
SILEIGHTY_DET is making a name for him/her selfSILEIGHTY_DET is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you can see that it has the s14/15 style rear diff mount . as for the diff placement , you would have to measure .
SILEIGHTY_DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I would try the R32 setup.

I don't have concrete information, but it is worth a try.

S14 and R33 are interchangable.

If you get the R32 rear subframe, make sure it's non-hicas.

Also, you can use S13 rear uprights on the R32 rear subframe, if the spindle hole matches the axle.

Carlos
Slidin240Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #8
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Exactly. use S13 uprights or press the HICAS ball joint out and press a bushing in it's place.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
i believe you can add the s15 subframe to your list as well.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #10
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
Yeah, s15 goes on s13.
Irukandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #11
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
dont do r32
i know some folks who did it. rear end is WAY too stiff
go the s15 route
its a great setup and its realtively easy
can make offset solid bushings or squeeze the stockers on

i used to have one
everything is bolt up
use s13 rucas
and everything else s14/15 (spindles dont matter nor hubs)

its sweet
good old days
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #12
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Excuse my noob question, but whats wrong with it being too stiff? What kind of problems would that cause?
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #13
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
easily over rotates
you find when u take ur car on the track
u dont want super over steer
its just stupid and annoying

GRIP is what u want
drifting road race you want GRIP
Old 11-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #14
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Thanks for the replies!

Do you prefer 4.6 or 4.3 for the KA?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #15
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousan_PG View Post
easily over rotates
you find when u take ur car on the track
u dont want super over steer
its just stupid and annoying

GRIP is what u want
drifting road race you want GRIP
I come from a road racing backround and I don't get it either. Stiffer chasis = better, period. If stiffening the rear causes it to over rotate then you need to dial in your suspension settings. A stiffer chasis is more responsive and more consistent once you dial it in. Right? It is all about development of the car. Anyone who thinks that you can just throw parts at a car without taking the time to set the car up to YOUR preference is sorely mistaken.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:49 PM   #16
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

u know anyone who has run it 1st hand on a s13? i do.

stfu

get serious

for a KA? i like 4.3 all around on SR too
but i migth be picking up a 4.6 to give a try
now that i trailer the car i wont mind it. daily or going to track driving 4.6 is nutso.
but for the track..might give it a whirl.
my buddy runs it on his FD car now w/ stock trans (before an OS) and seems to really enjoy it. gotta see what he thinks of it lately.

anywyas
i really enjoyed having the s15 member
i would suggest that one for sure.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #17
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
I thought stiffening the chasis was serious. Also if a stiffer subframe isn't better then why would JUN make one? I think they know quite a bit more about how to set a car up properly for grip then you do. Your friend didn't have the right set up for the extra stiffness, PERIOD!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:59 PM   #18
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

JUNs racing subframe reinforces the subframes and they dont make on for s-chassis.

the s-chassis subframes are for drag racing.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:50 AM   #19
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousan_PG View Post
JUNs racing subframe reinforces the subframes and they dont make on for s-chassis.

the s-chassis subframes are for drag racing.

I saw one on RARE TRICK. I have been thinking about it though and there is on other possible difference that could cause excessive oversteer. It is possible that the skyline has slightly different geometry in the rear (most likely more anti-squat). That could cause such a problem, but I don't even know where to find the answer to that question and the silvia platforms already have a ton of anti-squat.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:07 AM   #20
fro20
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (13)
fro20 is making a name for him/her selffro20 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
1st, why do you think you need to go hydralic ebrake? Z32 ebrake conversion is simple. Second, buy my s13 subframe with aluminum spacers already installed.

I could see the stiffer rear subframe being bad for a street car. It wouls also be bad if you did not equally or at least somewhat stiffen the rest of the chassis in relation to the rear.

If you have a stiff rear portion of the chassis and the rest is prone to torsional flex, then the whole balance of the car is out of whack. Decreasing torsional and lateral flex only in the rear and not the rest of the car would make it suck at handling theoritically.

If you dont get what I am saying, just think about it for a few minutes and it will make sense.

Stiff chassis offers great feedback and more precise handling and control when done properly.

Now throw in the r32 sub, do the cusco tension rod brace, Kansei service chassis brace that goes behind the motor under the car and a strut tower and you should be good, as well as tension rods. To make this even better do the Nagisa frame rail braces( to directly link torsional flex like a sway bar from the front of the car to the back applying force upon itself to counter act the flex) and shock tower braces, then damn. Torsional and lateral flex would be mad reduced, appropratly.
fro20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #21
racepar1
Post Whore!

Totally, 100% agreed ^^^^^!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:41 PM   #22
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

My car has a cage and fender braces, doing strut towers bars and stich weld in the future. Thanks for the ideas for added torsional rigidity.

At this point I'm leaning toward a cheap straight s13 subframe locally, they're like $50. What makes the s15 subframe superior, is it just newer and stronger or are there mechanical advantages? Also does the S15 subframe require much fabrication to install?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #23
hijack3d
Zilvia Junkie

hijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond repute
Not meaning to thread jack/step on toes but trying to help a fellow 240sx owner... I'm going to Vegas for Thanksgiving weekend, and am selling a rear subframe. If you like, I can bring it with me.

Also, IIRC.... if you want to go w/ the S14 hubs (for 5 lug?) and the Z32 e-brake conversion, you might consider using the Z32 rear hubs instead of the S14, since there's a bracket you'll need to modify if you're using the S14 hubs, whereas the Z32 wont require this.
hijack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:52 PM   #24
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Thanks for the reply, sent you a PM hijack3d
Old 11-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #25
racepar1
Post Whore!

I'd just get an s-13 subframe and brace it, that's what I am going to do with my spare subframe. Sounds like you are on the right track to me. By the way, how did you manage to bend your subframe?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #26
fro20
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (13)
fro20 is making a name for him/her selffro20 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello88 View Post
My car has a cage and fender braces, doing strut towers bars and stich weld in the future. Thanks for the ideas for added torsional rigidity.

At this point I'm leaning toward a cheap straight s13 subframe locally, they're like $50. What makes the s15 subframe superior, is it just newer and stronger or are there mechanical advantages? Also does the S15 subframe require much fabrication to install?
Dont waste your time with a stitch weld. I just got into a big debate about this. The more I research the more I find this is a waste of time=money. The stitch welds make no real gain in rigidity, the only people that need to do it are works teams that strip all the seam sealer/weld to take out the extra 20lbs of crap and then need to stitch the panels backtogether since their is no more seem sealer. Spend your money on bars, making bars to connect your frame rails, get all the Nagisa braces they make, strut tower to firewall connectors, fender braces, tunnel braces, Kansei service bars,cusco tension rod connector, cusco rear triangulated strut bar, custom make a triangulated front strut, and a 4pt cage if it is a street car.

FOR A STREET CAR DO NOT HAVE THE FORWARD BARS IN THAT GO ABOVE YOUR HEAD FROM THE B-A PILLAR. tHE S CHASSIS PUTS YOUR HEAD AN INCH AWAY FORM IT AND IN A CRASH YOU ARE F'D. THATS IS WHY I PULLED THE FRONT BARS FROM MY SAFETY 21 CAGE FOR STREET USE AND PUT THEM IN FOR TRACK USE
fro20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #27
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fro20 View Post
Dont waste your time with a stitch weld. I just got into a big debate about this. The more I research the more I find this is a waste of time=money. The stitch welds make no real gain in rigidity, the only people that need to do it are works teams that strip all the seam sealer/weld to take out the extra 20lbs of crap and then need to stitch the panels backtogether since their is no more seem sealer. Spend your money on bars, making bars to connect your frame rails, get all the Nagisa braces they make, strut tower to firewall connectors, fender braces, tunnel braces, Kansei service bars,cusco tension rod connector, cusco rear triangulated strut bar, custom make a triangulated front strut, and a 4pt cage if it is a street car.

FOR A STREET CAR DO NOT HAVE THE FORWARD BARS IN THAT GO ABOVE YOUR HEAD FROM THE B-A PILLAR. tHE S CHASSIS PUTS YOUR HEAD AN INCH AWAY FORM IT AND IN A CRASH YOU ARE F'D. THATS IS WHY I PULLED THE FRONT BARS FROM MY SAFETY 21 CAGE FOR STREET USE AND PUT THEM IN FOR TRACK USE

I don't agree with your opinion on stitch welding. I stitch welded my whole front end and it made a huge difference. You definitely don't wanna do the whole chasis though. Do it strategically. Do the front end, rear strut towers & fenderwells, and the frame rails. The rest of the car you can basically ignore, especially if you have a cage and all the basic bolt-on braces. If you really wanna stiffen the fuck outta your chasis look into structural foam. It is messy and time consuming, but will net huge gains in overall stiffness.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:55 AM   #28
Rayne
Zilvia Addict

Rayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello88 View Post
My car has a cage and fender braces, doing strut towers bars and stitch weld in the future. Thanks for the ideas for added torsional rigidity.

At this point I'm leaning toward a cheap straight s13 sub-frame locally, they're like $50. What makes the s15 sub-frame superior, is it just newer and stronger or are there mechanical advantages? Also does the S15 sub-frame require much fabrication to install?

Here is some information I found while doing a web search:

"The geometry allows your car to have the correct roll center 2" below stock S13. The track is 10mm wider, the arms/sub-frame are reinforced, and is designed for less squat."

As for modifications...I believe all you need is some off center bushings.
Rayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #29
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Thanks for the help everyone.

Ended up going S13 subframe, SPL solid bushings, Z32 ebrake/hubs/cables/calipers/rotors, ??? Mutlilink (not bought yet), SPL pineapples, SPL conversion lines, Hawk HPS pads. Keeping the stock R&P for now.

Anyway now my question is, where the hell can I find solid or poly diff bushings? SPL doesn't have them on their site and I forgot to call in before I placed my order with them.. Does Energy Suspension even make them? Their kits for s13 seem to be missing them....
Old 11-28-2007, 11:45 AM   #30
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

because s13 diff is solid mounted to the subframe
no need for them.