Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-25-2014, 07:05 AM   #3151
greddy2die
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
greddy2die is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greddy2die
yeah, im no expert but some time attack people run -3 degrees of camber in the front and like -2 in the rear of their cars. Obviously it varies but, you get the idea.
greddy2die is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #3152
tayloray
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwaystarJC View Post
you need to learn more about cornering. camber actually adds grip to your setup if done correctly. only when you have extreme amounts of camber or camber with stretch does it really have an adverse reaction to grip.

even with a stock setup you dont want 0* camber. with tire roll and such you need camber so when your car rolls it will actually have more contact.
Very true, tried running zero camber on my street/track car. it was horrible. you could endues oversteer just by turning aggressively. The only people that run almost no camber are the fd guys because the car squats so much
Old 06-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #3153
drifter92
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (27)
drifter92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
you need to learn more about cornering. camber actually adds grip to your setup if done correctly. only when you have extreme amounts of camber or camber with stretch does it really have an adverse reaction to grip.

even with a stock setup you dont want 0* camber. with tire roll and such you need camber so when your car rolls it will actually have more contact.
I am referring to pointlessly high amounts of camber, where people add camber just to clear the fitment on a wheel with a wider tire instead of a 10mm smaller tire at lower camber, they camber the wheels in and lose 30mm of tread contact...

I understand camber for tire roll/contact patch/weight transfer, i just see so many cars running too much camber but claiming they are going for "maximum rubber"... I guess they don't actually mean grip lol
Old 06-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #3154
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
-3 isn't alot of camber.....
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #3155
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Trader Rating: (0)
kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You're talking about -12* oni camber. -3* is barely noticeable.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #3156
drifter92
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
You're talking about -12* oni camber. -3* is barely noticeable.
-3.0* is easy for me to notice... I run -0.5* on the rear of my s14 and -4.0* on the front for a flat contact patch at steering lock. This is a drift car though, not time attack.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #3157
HighwaystarJC
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
HighwaystarJC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter92 View Post
I am referring to pointlessly high amounts of camber, where people add camber just to clear the fitment on a wheel with a wider tire instead of a 10mm smaller tire at lower camber, they camber the wheels in and lose 30mm of tread contact...

I understand camber for tire roll/contact patch/weight transfer, i just see so many cars running too much camber but claiming they are going for "maximum rubber"... I guess they don't actually mean grip lol
I guess i'm just lost... where do you see this in this thread? most of the posts in this thread have been kept to "Maximum Tire" fitment, not like the Wheel fitment thread where people are stretching tires with 5*+ of camber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter92 View Post
-3.0* is easy for me to notice... I run -0.5* on the rear of my s14 and -4.0* on the front for a flat contact patch at steering lock. This is a drift car though, not time attack.
regardless of how easy it is for you to see that amount of camber, tires still perform at that angle and most of these cars in this thread are not setup for drifting. you have a typical drifter setup with more camber in the front than rear but that doesnt benefit this thread by any means.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #3158
drifter92
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
I guess i'm just lost... where do you see this in this thread? most of the posts in this thread have been kept to "Maximum Tire" fitment, not like the Wheel fitment thread where people are stretching tires with 5*+ of camber.

regardless of how easy it is for you to see that amount of camber, tires still perform at that angle and most of these cars in this thread are not setup for drifting. you have a typical drifter setup with more camber in the front than rear but that doesnt benefit this thread by any means.
Yea only a few cars I have seen going through 50 pages have been cambered all retarded I was just frustrated seeing it. I guess I just had a biased view of most of these cars assuming they are drift cars because that's what my car is built for. Oh well no hard feelings, awesome thread! I am not going for maximum tire on my drift car because I don't have the power for it but I can post pictures of my brother's S14 with 17x8" +20 245/40/17 and 17x9" +35 275/40/17...
Old 08-25-2014, 04:19 AM   #3159
zeitgeist
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (21)
zeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
For future references,

Im putting 255/18/35 on 9.5" wheels because these tires will be laying around.

I'm thinking about 275/18/35 on 10.5" in the rear. Is that ratio pretty close? I want to keep the 35 series as well
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #3160
Rick-95ZE
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (22)
Rick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Here's a repost of my baby and I'll be making some changes to this setup in the next few weeks :-)

Stock metal with roll& pull in the rear

Work Vs-XX
18x10(+25) front
18x11(+27) rear
265/35 /18 & 315/30/18 Falken Azenis rt-615's

1997 Nissan 240sx SE(Rb25det+GT35r= 486whp on 93pump):http://zilvia.net/f/premium-member-b...oject-2-a.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLIP
Take it literally, kill someone, aim for the face in whatever method you use to do so, and it is the most righteously gratifying feeling ever, almost orgasmic.

Last edited by Rick-95ZE; 08-25-2014 at 09:20 PM..
Rick-95ZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #3161
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
wow that's insanely clean
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #3162
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Old 08-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #3163
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Great setup Rick! I've been tossing around the idea of going back to a shocks and springs setup for that reason.
silviaks2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:03 AM   #3164
Rick-95ZE
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (22)
Rick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfectionRick-95ZE is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
wow that's insanely clean
I've had her since 2004, currently has only 86k original miles, and I'd like to believe that subtlety never goes out of style. Thank you :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
Great setup Rick! I've been tossing around the idea of going back to a shocks and springs setup for that reason.
Actually, I just switched to a coilover setup using Megan 25mm extension brackets to get the front coils to clear the inner rim lip, the rears clear just fine. I post some pics here in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2ltsrA7.png?1[/IMG
Huh, learned something new today,LOL. Thanks S14DB! Is that in the owners manual ???

1997 Nissan 240sx SE(Rb25det+GT35r= 486whp on 93pump):http://zilvia.net/f/premium-member-b...oject-2-a.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLIP
Take it literally, kill someone, aim for the face in whatever method you use to do so, and it is the most righteously gratifying feeling ever, almost orgasmic.
Rick-95ZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #3165
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mad-ass
I would much rather straighten out my pinch welds if they get bent rather than having a crunched up frame rails(they do get crunched up rather easy on jack stands). I've always lifted my car on rack by rail..until i saw that in the owners manual or chilton. Using a hocky puck with grooves cut out on them for a lift useage on pinch weld is a great idea btw.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #3166
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
hockey puck method ftw.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #3167
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-95ZE View Post
Actually, I just switched to a coilover setup using Megan 25mm extension brackets to get the front coils to clear the inner rim lip, the rears clear just fine. I post some pics here in a few days.
OMG Finally! Someone with experience using those brackets! Please post pics & info! There is a complete lack of info available online about their benefits.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #3168
greddy2die
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
greddy2die is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greddy2die
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
OMG Finally! Someone with experience using those brackets! Please post pics & info! There is a complete lack of info available online about their benefits.
i had them too, went to go install them one day and couldnt find them... FML
greddy2die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #3169
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-ass View Post
I would much rather straighten out my pinch welds if they get bent rather than having a crunched up frame rails(they do get crunched up rather easy on jack stands). I've always lifted my car on rack by rail..until i saw that in the owners manual or chilton. Using a hocky puck with grooves cut out on them for a lift useage on pinch weld is a great idea btw.
Yeah, you can see how the rails are overlapping. They are designed to deform in a crash. Easy to crush them by putting the weight of the car on them.

The pinch weld is joining the side and bottom of the car. It's the bottom of a thick tube than includes the door sill. You can lift all along the rail as long as you don't concentrate the weight to much. Why hockypucks with a slit in them are so great.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #3170
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
those are used for people wanting to fit more wheel in the front. I wouldn't be in a such a hurry to buy them because they do change the suspension geometry quiet a bit. your shocks will be working in a different angle so you'll have to relearn the car quiet a bit IMO. Most cases, it's the coilover collars or the springs hitting the wheel/tire. If you can get a way with having a shorter spring on front coilover, I would do just that. but other wise...keeping the front mounting point for the shocks are pretty important to me. (unless of course you have adjustable FLCA and adjust accordingly...but at that point you will be running -LOLWUT camber in front.)
Old 08-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #3171
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-ass View Post
those are used for people wanting to fit more wheel in the front. I wouldn't be in a such a hurry to buy them because they do change the suspension geometry quiet a bit. your shocks will be working in a different angle so you'll have to relearn the car quiet a bit IMO. Most cases, it's the coilover collars or the springs hitting the wheel/tire. If you can get a way with having a shorter spring on front coilover, I would do just that. but other wise...keeping the front mounting point for the shocks are pretty important to me. (unless of course you have adjustable FLCA and adjust accordingly...but at that point you will be running -LOLWUT camber in front.)
I have to imagine they mess with your caster angle.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #3172
spooled240
Post Whore!

spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
I wouldn't mind having some more inner front wheel clearance so I've been thinking of using eccentric bolts where the coilover bolts to the spindle to essentially "push" the spindle away from the coilover. Then dial in more camber on the plate to compensate.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #3173
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

well, if you are doing it for wheel clearance..max it's going to give you is about 1/4~1/2inch MAX, in camber that's good amount of adjustment, but for clearance, it's not much IMO. Hyundai Genesis Coupe has this setup in the front.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #3174
spooled240
Post Whore!

spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
yeah i calculated that it would allow about 8mm of clearance with 3* of positive camber on the spindle. Not much, but it might be enough to make a difference
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #3175
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Does a 305/30/18 safely fit on a 18x10? Or should I go 295/35/18? From the pics 30 series with max tire looks like a big enough sidewall to protect from most potholes, but some people on the internet say it's not safe.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #3176
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
You really need a 10.5-11" wheel for a 305. I have a 285 on a 10 and probably wouldn't go wider.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #3177
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
Does a 305/30/18 safely fit on a 18x10? Or should I go 295/35/18? From the pics 30 series with max tire looks like a big enough sidewall to protect from most potholes, but some people on the internet say it's not safe.
If you are concerned about sidewall the 295/35 is a half inch bigger. But it is a taller tire also.

Code:
Specification  Sidewall  Radius  Diameter  Circumference  Revs/Mile  Difference
205/60-15         4.8in  12.3in    24.7in         77.6in        817        0.0%
285/35-18         3.9in  12.9in    25.9in         81.2in        780        4.7%
295/35-18         4.1in  13.1in    26.1in         82.1in        772        5.9%
305/30-18         3.6in  12.6in    25.2in         79.2in        800        2.1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
You really need a 10.5-11" wheel for a 305. I have a 285 on a 10 and probably wouldn't go wider
Yeah that is minimum specs for most manufactures. Of course you can punch that out to 315 on a 10" for drag racing. What you are doing with the car does matter.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #3178
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
If you are concerned about sidewall the 295/35 is a half inch bigger. But it is a taller tire also.

Code:
Specification  Sidewall  Radius  Diameter  Circumference  Revs/Mile  Difference
205/60-15         4.8in  12.3in    24.7in         77.6in        817        0.0%
285/35-18         3.9in  12.9in    25.9in         81.2in        780        4.7%
295/35-18         4.1in  13.1in    26.1in         82.1in        772        5.9%
305/30-18         3.6in  12.6in    25.2in         79.2in        800        2.1%

Yeah that is minimum specs for most manufactures. Of course you can punch that out to 315 on a 10" for drag racing. What you are doing with the car does matter.
Thanks guys.

DD tires, Don't want to chirp/spin my tires at every stoplight and don't want dent a wheel/blow a tire on these pothole ridden streets. 295/35 may be too tall. Guess I'll just go 285/35 and look for something sticky. My tire guy gets the best prices on tires but doesn't know anything other than how to undercut prices.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:23 PM   #3179
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Food for thought, once you reach a certain tire diameter, you actually decrease available grip. A wider tire takes longer to heat up and keep it warm, so unless you're racing on a track, there is no need for 3xx sized tires.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #3180
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

how much power are you putting down? Just to think about it...GTO/LS2's came with 245's in rear(although most people go wider tires because no grip at full throttle), CTS-V's came with 285's...

I would say decent tire in 275's should be more than enough for daily duties.