Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-01-2011, 01:43 AM   #121
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew600 View Post
i simply said that the vq40 is just as legally easy to do as the 35. because its the truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Federally, it's illegal. Which means in ALL states. Even if your individual state does not regulate it, it's still not legal. As an example, I can "legally" get a medical marijuana card for personal use in California. And at any time I could be arrested for violating FEDERAL law, since it's not decriminalized Federally.

You're wrong. Even if versions of the LS1 came in trucks, if THAT MOTOR came from a truck, it's illegal. From a Corvette or Camaro, it's not. The law is stupid, but that doesn't make a damn difference.

If you can't make sense out of that, then I don't know what to say to you.
i know what to say to him

call him a stupid fucking moron for not understanding LEGALITIES.

thank you very much
- mike
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #122
Lees_Garage
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (66)
Lees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really nice
Feedback Score: 66 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
i know what to say to him

call him a stupid moron for not understanding LEGALITIES.

thank you very much
- mike
Thanks Mike, now can we get back on topic? There is a ton of great info in this thread and here we are cluttering it up with useless arguing.

@lees_garage
Lees_Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #123
JaeTea
Zilvia Addict

JaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to JaeTea
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Grip View Post
Thanks Mike, now can we get back on topic? There is a ton of great info in this thread and here we are cluttering it up with useless arguing.
Seriously...Leave it to Zilvian's to shit up a thread in a matter of days
JaeTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #124
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
back on topic then
I think that this may change a few things
Categories - VQSwap.com
I think its a chase bays site....
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #125
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Grip View Post
Hey I am willing to apologize, I cannot stand people posting wrong info Andrew600 did just that. Then when was told he was wrong he would not accept it and had to call me childish to try and justify his position.

I detest wrong info and he posted wrong info. I have nothing more to say on that subject and will continue to post info that I know or have acquired.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #126
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudermagee View Post
back on topic then
I think that this may change a few things
Categories - VQSwap.com
I think its a chase bays site....
That is Chase Bays site. Ok I will say this, if anyone has noticed, my sig has changed. I am going to be putting a REV UP in the car. Now a lot are asking why Dave? Put it simply when the economy changed I put the whole project on hold.

I am now finally getting back to it. After several years of research and analysis I came to the conclusion that while the HR could be installed it required modifications I did not want to make.

Given that a REV UP is close to a HR in Horse Power. Given that with mods you can get good power out of it and its a very inexpensive setup it just made more sense.

I am more interested in having a legal 300 whp swap and a running car. Then having to modify everything under the sun and spending more time to make it work.
Props to the people that have put HR's in. Hood clearance issues are major unless you modify your crossmember. To me modifying the crossmember is not ideal. It actually does not comply with several sanctioning bodies for motorsports as well.

Yes you could space your hood up and run a scooped aftermarket hood again these are not ideal choices to me.

On to the Chase Bay car, It looks clean but I am concerned about the fact that the Mckinney kit manages to make you cut your trans tunnel to clear the shifter.
This is the first time in all the swaps I have seen that I have seen this. Again in my mind this is not ideal. Ideal would be a install that does not require modifying crossmembers or cutting trans tunnels.

That is my goal and I will keep you guys informed of progress as I will not be holding back on.

Oh and for the HP needs I am after a REV UP should be just fine as well. Granted its not quite as cool as the HR but it will be dope.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #127
rb25crazy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (14)
rb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
awesoooome, so when do you think you will be done with your rev up swap drift freaq?
rb25crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #128
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
I am going to be putting a REV UP in the car.
Yay! That's the motor that makes the most sense to me too.

Now, for you guys who understand thermal dynamics, exhaust pulses & tubal exhaust construction; can you give an idea of how the Mckinney VQ swap headers compare to the SG Motorsports headers? I know the SG's won't fit into our cars (hell, they may not even be in production anymore), but I wanna get a sense of what it'll take to match their performance & sound. Are the McKinney's even remotely comparable?
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #129
spent27
Leaky Injector

spent27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
There is a big reason why i don't post on my350Z.com anymore. those guys are a bunch of fuckin tool bags, morons, and brown nosers that's really all that forum has to offer. Nobody with a decent Automotive IQ has a decent build thread. they just buy high dollar parts bolt them on and expect to make power. which is not how the VQ engine responds to mods, the engine has tons of potential to make power locked in the ECU. and little components that noone looks at. tell me why SGmotorsport in Canada made 340whp on a Stock Block and Head DE back in canada. those numbers are not inflated, they took the same approach I did, Real R&D and applied it to the engine, yet their stuff isn't selling on the forum because "reputable forum members" don't have it on their cars.

if you want to see real VQ builds and real parts for the VQ35. My350Z.com is the wrong place to look.
multi grand motec ecu, 90mm tb, build bottom end, cam that's only useful for high revving race cars that live at 8500... They went alittle beyond ' stock block'. Yes, my350z isn't ideal for the DIY type but they are not alot of options out there. MotoIQ has some good VQ writeups.

And yes, you can point at a select few builds where they made quality NA gains. However, I stand by my statement that the VQ isn't a great motor for big NA numbers, plain and simple. Buy a LS1 if you want NA numbers. I wanted a unique project while using a Nissan engine to keep me in a street class for SCCA. The class I run, street modified, is 1800lbs min weight + 200*engine liters (- 200 lbs for 275mm tires or smaller). I really think the VQ can be competitive for me, power per liter it certaintly puts down great numbers. Like I said, I couldn't be happier how mine has performed. I can't wait till I get my car down to 2300lbs with 320+ rwhp.
spent27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #130
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Ok I will say this, if anyone has noticed, my sig has changed. I am going to be putting a REV UP in the car. Now a lot are asking why Dave?
did anyone ask why? not me, i have sigs turned off. :-)

Quote:
That is my goal and I will keep you guys informed of progress as I will not be holding back on.
yes, keep us informed. remember our bet, it was for the end of 2010... but being the generous person i am, i have extended our bet 1 complete year. so your car has to be working and driving in 2011.

dont worry, i dont think mine will be working this year EITHER, dave. :-P
Old 07-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #131
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
did anyone ask why? not me, i have sigs turned off. :-)

yes, keep us informed. remember our bet, it was for the end of 2010... but being the generous person i am, i have extended our bet 1 complete year. so your car has to be working and driving in 2011.

dont worry, i dont think mine will be working this year EITHER, dave. :-P
a slow race to the finish we have here. LOL

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 07-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #132
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
a slow race to the finish we have here. LOL
yeah, but a quick drop on mike yates motherfucking ducati yesterday!

now its on, me, you, glenn or mike.. whos car will start first.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #133
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Your argument through this whole thing has been based on your own centric view point without taking other states and federal law into consideration. That is a failure on the information side on your part and does the thread a disservice.
This is kind of what you are doing by shooting him down, is it not? Saying its straight up illegal is false information in itself even if federal law says it is. What is a law if it not enforced, ever? There are advertised safe havens for illegal immigrants in places in this country and the feds don't care to do anything about it... it is no different with car rules. It is up to whomever is doing the swap to figure out what is going on in their area as far as car regulation goes. Everyone always quotes federal law forgetting that states can have their own laws as well and they are the ones ultimately enforcing them.

Must be shitty to live in a state that has the best weather for cars, but the most strict laws. If Big Brother would stop harassing all you enthusiasts out there they could probably save a pretty penny. My 240sx doesn't get any kind of emissions check in MO (because it's OBDI) and I just passed safety without a cat. conv. (that last part should not happen, even around here, but the inspector just didn't care). Other places where it is more rural don't do emissions at all, probably because it is too expensive.

I will get off my soapbox and get to why I really posted here: You say the only reason for this swap is to be legal, I think there are plenty more then just that. The VQ is 3.5 pistons long, instead of 6, 4.5 or 4, which can help it sit slightly further back in the engine bay than a RB or JZ, SR, V8. It is also lighter then most of those engines which helps even more for weight balance. I would also trust its' reliability over a few of the later as well. Maybe you don't want a power overload, maybe just enough to get around the track with no problems but not too much to destroy a set of tires in 2 laps. Kansai Drifter, i think?, can attest to this. I have watched all his videos and he kills it in his VQ s13. Oh, and the sound is pure sex imo, i think someone called it exotic earlier

There is good info in here so keep it up! sorry for the long post. XD
bc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:25 AM   #134
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
I am going to bump this very old thread in hopes of finding out if anyone has actually finished their swap.

Also if anyone has BAR'd/CARB Legal swapped the VQ into their car. So far, searching brings up... absolutely nothing. Just a bunch of speculation and still no real clear answer about the return/returnless fuel system discrepancy.

iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #135
Bambi
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Bambi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Just spent the last hour reading every post in this thread.

Looking for a VQ now.
Originally Posted by Frank_Jaeger View Post
It's impossible because I tried once. Took out 4 telephone polls and a girl scout concession stand. All the thin mints and samoas couldn't even be salvaged.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #136
Acreus
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Acreus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
im in the process of a VQ35HR swap in my 1995 240sx. I plan to get it BAR'd and carb legal in CA. As soon as i finish, Which im very close to doing, i will let everyone know.
Acreus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #137
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
^ you have some sort of build thread or timeline?

iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #138
Taylor Shinobu
Zilvia Junkie

Taylor Shinobu is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreus View Post
im in the process of a VQ35HR swap in my 1995 240sx. I plan to get it BAR'd and carb legal in CA. As soon as i finish, Which im very close to doing, i will let everyone know.
what happened? you get it carb legal?
Taylor Shinobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:12 AM   #139
Nezahualcoyotl
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
it has to be a custom drive shaft. so you need some one to make it for you
Nezahualcoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #140
Ljay

Ljay is an unknown quantity at this point
i was reading about ls swaps and i stumbled across something similar to the vq manifold issues. the manifold on the ls hits the steering as well and you aren't aloud to fabricate a custom one due to it not being oem. someone mentioned that as long as emissions are in place you are fine so you can have a custom manifold on fabricated to fit in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan
This was mentioned above, but I want to clear it up - with regard to the headers, the OEM ones do not have to be used, as they don't fit anything except F-bodys or Vettes.

But the configuration of all the emissions equipment has to be identical.

When I say emissions equipment, what that really means is the cats. That means no long-tube headers, no headers that make you re-route emissions plumbing, nothing. As long as you keep that in mind, you'll be A-OK with CARB.

i'm catchin Z's
Ljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #141
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
Two years later and this thread has turned into a pissing match.