Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Dylan22

Trader Rating: (0)
Dylan22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 hatch build

This will be the build thread for my type-x converted, SR20DET + 5 speed swapped s13!

Anyways, I am 21 and I live in Ontario, Canada. Peterborough to be exact for anyone else in Ont. I bought this hatch as my first car 2 years ago now for 3500 bucks, it was on Tien springs and the XD9's and it was unfortunately automatic. I honestly didn't know much about the mechanical part of cars but I went through high school loving s13's. So I guess I will fill you in on the last 2 years.

This would be the day I bought it in March 2011.

First purchase were Megan track spec coils because one of the front struts was on its was out.

Didn't put a whole lot of money into the car the first summer. Took it to a few autocross events and avoided tickets so my insurance wouldn't be unaffordable. Unfortunately at the end of the year I smashed my oil pan, knocked off my oil pick up from the engine and partially starved the engine. It was in October so I had all winter to start to learn about the more mechanical aspect of cars. I looked into making a Ka-t but couldn't afford to do it properly so I went to Toronto and bought a blacktop SR with a 5 speed transmission as well.

Lifeless KA out

[IMG]
http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/422973_10150623953116075_343939644_n.jpg[/IMG]

I also picked up a few odds and ends for the car during the winter and got a new steering wheel/hub for my birthday.

[IMG]
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/294579_10150415948546075_166062760_n.jpg[/IMG]

Anyways, after dropping the new engine and tranny in, I friend with some more knowledge and I began the more difficult part of the swap with the FrSport swap guide.

So after finishing the wiring and buying a stock SMIC, we tried to fire the car to no avail. Tested many connections all showing power going to them, the car was cranking and the plugs were firing. Injectors were good, timing was set. In the end, instead of tearing my wiring harness apart I got in touch with Yuri at Wiring Specialties and picked up a new harness. After plugging everything back in it fired up first crank! This was a huge accomplishment as earlier in the year I learned how to do my first oil change hahah.

As the weather started to get nice again, rolling the car out of the garage to work on it was definitely refreshing. I was really excited to get the car back on the road and see how the swap really turned out.

Also installed my spacers and tried to get some "fitment" going on.

So that brings us to spring 2012. The car is a blast, loving the 5 speed and turbo power. Went to Stretch&Poke's Fitted Showcase in Toronto.

So over the summer I did some maintenance stuff to it. Tie rod/ends, RUCA's so I could align the rear of the car. Boost gauge and manual boost controller, Mishimoto low temp thermostat and overflow tank. I worked on cleaning up the engine bay a lot over the summer as well.

So not a whole lot changed over the summer, just enjoyed driving my project and met some cool people because of it! I put some money away and then also ended up getting a new job which pays a bit better than my last so I am planning some solid upgrades for the winter.

First of all I picked up this FMIC kit with HKS blow off for an awesome deal. I am replacing all the couplers with some new black ones.

A few weeks later I was offered this kit for a really good deal. The skirts are well loved but are FRP so I am going to learn how to re glass them and one of my close friends owns a body shop so I will have everything repainted.

So that is pretty much up to date! This winter I am redoing my exhaust. Ordering a Tomei elbow and the HKS sport catback system. I also ordered a new valve cover gasket since the exhaust side is starting to leak slightly. I am going to paint my cover while it is off and install Tomei RAS for some security. My transmission throw out bearing also started to whine to I will replace that when I remove my engine this winter as well. I am going to relocate my battery to the trunk as well as do some necessary maintenance.

Thanks for reading, let me know what you guys think

Last edited by Dylan22; 03-17-2013 at 07:44 PM..
Dylan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
Dylan22

Here is a bit of what I've been up to.

I've parked the car and started tearing it apart, taking the engine out and finding out what gaskets I need to replace and I will also be completely cleaning it.

Little bit more...

Missing something! Engine bay is caked in CRAP from a blown turbo coolant line(dried out rubber hose that runs behind the engine) that managed to get coolant in all the places I couldn't clean. I'll get my revenge..

And the engine pre TLC

After some not so in depth inspection I was able to get a look at the main problem.. destroyed gasket from some loose bolts on the Mani/Turbo connection. Mostly from a broken exhaust hanger that let the exhaust bounce around too long.

So now I have my work cut out for me. I ordered some OEM metal gaskets for the turbo connections as well as Tomei RAS and a new valve cover to stop oil leaks. Along with those a new Nissan water pump and some small bushings and steel bushings to replace worn out factory parts that I can easily get to while the car is apart.

I also picked up some Kouki tail lights and am waiting on those for arrival. More updates soon!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
240sxDavid
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
240sxDavid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I can dig it, build on brother
240sxDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Pinggg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Pinggg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Good start, glad to see your learning as you go.
Pinggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Dylan22

Thanks guys. I know it isn't the same caliber as some of the other builds on this site but it is my first car and build hahah. Also working on a limited budget but as far as the build goes I am trying not to cheap out!

I will get some pictures this week when some new parts show up, I also picked up a propane heater for my garage which makes spending long nights out there much more bearable. Boo winter!
Old 12-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
Good work dude. Great to see a clean 240 in Canada!

BTW, where that gasket failed is normal. Not from the exhaust swinging around so much as vibration in the turbine... Metal gaskets alone will not fix the issue- You need to add OEM Nissan locking plates to your list to keep the nuts from backing out and it will never do that again: Nissan Genuine OEM T25 T28 Turbo Turbine Locking Tab

You need 2 (one for each side) & they look like this installed:

Keep up the good work dude- it's an awesome learning experience~
Old 12-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Dylan22

Thanks for the support guys, I'm definitely still learning as I go and willing to listen to and learn while I'm at it!

The turbo DID have locking tabs on it and they were in place proper. However three bolts were finger tight on the turbo still somehow. Either way, brand new locking tabs were ordered with my OEM metal gaskets(Studs are straight and didn't crack because the bolts weren't tight enough LOL. I made sure to order everything I needed as to put the turbo back onto the mani

Again, I will try and get some new pictures up this week when my parts show up. Lots of the list for this winter!
Old 12-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
cbc24

cbc24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey man its clayton from PB ! Nice too see your build on here! It looks like its coming together well!
cbc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
Dylan22

Hey dude, didn't know you were around here! Thanks.

I just picked this up tonight, we don't really have any in Canada so when a guy on a local forum got an s13 sent to him instead of an s14 I figured I'd save the shipping and duty costs. Sorry for the cell pic

Old 12-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nice work, Looks very well taken care of. As far as those deteriorated manifold to turbo gaskets, I've had that happen a couple times. What works fro me is the multi layerd thicker crush style gaskets. But I bet combo'd with the locking tabs or some other form of locking device would be even better.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
Dylan22

Heading to my friends shop today to do some cleaning/fiberglass work. I'll have some picture updates tonight
Old 12-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #12
Dylan22

Alrighty. A little late but none the less here is some work that was done over the weekend.

First I opened up the first box that arrived containingggg

Yaaay. Now just debating on if I am going to buy a kouki wing as well. I think I will to complete the look

So this is the nice big scratch in the side skirt(FRP) that we were going to re-repair as well as some small chips and corner cracks while we were at it.

Bye bye old repair!

and skipping ahead a little we come to..

And as a bonus.. pdr repair on the kouki underpanel before prep

Pretty boring, I knooow but the more exciting parts are coming up. Cleaning the engine up this week I am hoping!

Thanks for looking
Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
Ltkouki

Ltkouki is an unknown quantity at this point
The tailight panel will be painted today.
I figured you could at least install the panel so you ha something to look at.
It will give us a good start on color match too

Who's forearms are those? They look FIIIIIIIINE
Ltkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #14
Dylan22

Small update. I haven't got much done to the car as I've been fairly busy over the holidays. I've received my battery relocation in the mail as well as my Frsport order and am picking away at installing the small parts.

Cleaned my turbo up and got it ready to bolt back up(With new locking tabs and Nissan OEM metal gasket)

Also

Engine looked pretty gunky inside. Definitely ran hot. But the moving parts look really nice still so I started unbolting to put these in. They are Tomei's

That is about where I'm at right now. I'm going to actually start working on my engine bay and cleaning it up as well as put in my solid steering bushing and driveshaft replacement hanger bearing. Hopefully I will have some better updates for you guys soon!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
Ltkouki

BEEEEAAAAAAUUUUUUTTTTTYYYYY

Tailight panel is mint mcgoo.
We should install them tonight.
I have the butyl you need to seal the lights.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
forgotten
Leaky Injector

forgotten is an unknown quantity at this point
i always wanted my car to be black with a pignose lip!! put more pics!!
forgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #17
Dylan22

Thanks man. I will post up a couple more hardparked pictures hahah. I don't have too much else to report on right now. Put my water pump and turbo back on and Ltkouki took my bumper and valance to prep and paint this week. Now I will be cleaning and painting the engine and bay, getting things ready to go back together. I will soon be ordering some brake parts, tension rods and a turbo elbow as well

Rolling with some crazy rear camber(-5.5) and no exhaust.. end of the season is my excuse haha
Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #18
Dylan22

And one more, mean muggin'

Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #19
Ltkouki

That fluorescent black is baller
Old 01-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #20
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Looking good so far...

It's nice to see more GTA members on here...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #21
forgotten
Leaky Injector

forgotten is an unknown quantity at this point
Sexxxx love it!!
forgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #22
Oakville
Zilvia Junkie

Oakville is an unknown quantity at this point
Digging the blacked out engine bay. usually GTA cars are rusted out and ziptied to the tits, its very nice to see a clean car, especially out of the kawarthas. used to have our boat docked in peterborough, absolutely love it up there. go petes!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #23
Ltkouki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan22 View Post

Is it just me, or does it look really high off the ground here?:/
I think im messed up anymore.
Anything that isnt laying on the pavement looks like a monster truck to me.

5.5 camber is the way to have it
Old 01-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #24
Dylan22

Thanks guys. I've been trying to keep the car as clean as possible and just keep the build simple. The shell is really clean save for two spots of rust on the front rails which will be correctly patched.

Corey, my car IS a monster truck
Old 01-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #25
Oakville
Zilvia Junkie

Oakville is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you plan on kitting it?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #26
Ltkouki

Cant wait to see who can park hardest this year. You won by a mile last year.
I havent been able to have a look @ your bumper past unloading it out of the cali.
It needs some definate work tho. We just got slammed @ the shop too. So its not gonna be bak to you this week
We can work on it saturday tho. Ill be ripping the rest of the cali mods off then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakville View Post
Do you plan on kitting it?
Im new. Say what?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #27
Dylan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltkouki View Post
Cant wait to see who can park hardest this year. You won by a mile last year.
I havent been able to have a look @ your bumper past unloading it out of the cali.
It needs some definate work tho. We just got slammed @ the shop too. So its not gonna be bak to you this week
We can work on it saturday tho. Ill be ripping the rest of the cali mods off then

Im new. Say what?
All good. Winter is much longer than this week We can prep it and the skirts on the weekend, it's good you are busy again hahah, more important than my bumper!

@Oakville it is going to be a kouki by the spring. All I have left to order is a wing, this is the only picture I have of all the stuff, minus the tails.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #28
Kwolfe
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Kwolfe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Nice build
Kwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #29
tweezz

Trader Rating: (1)
tweezz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
dude super nice build!! how long it take for most of the parts to arrive in mail??
Old 01-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #30
Dylan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezz View Post
dude super nice build!! how long it take for most of the parts to arrive in mail??
It all depends. I waited a few weeks for my Summit Racing order, FRSport is usually within 5 business days and that is where I order most of my parts from. As far as my kouki kit it was all purchased in Ontario so no shipping for me luckily!