Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-18-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
King 240
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (0)
King 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Differnce between Blktop O2 and Redtop O2?

I had a Blktop SR and was sent a "Red/Black" top SR when I ordered my new motor.

The reason I'm unsure is because the engine had a redvalve cover on it, it also has the skinny type O2 sensor, however, it has the vents on the head like the Blktop heads.

I was wondering if there is a difference between swapping the O2 sensor from my blktop which is a fat type instead of using the Redtop skinny O2?

Connectors are the same didn't know if they read different, both are 3 wires.
King 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2007, 12:32 AM   #2
Sir
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Sir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
fat/skinny are interchangable as long as it fits (most aftermarket elbows are setup for fat type and plug to drill if you got a skinny).

Hope this helps.
Sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:11 AM   #3
King 240

King 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Thanks man, thats kind of what I figured, I just wanted to be sure.

My main concern is that I'm on a time frame and can't really wait to ship a motor back and wait for another.

So going with the research I've done, I shouldn't have a problem using this motor with my blktop harness. Its believe to be a late model Redtop, one of the last runs.

I've got the Power FC so I was mainly worried about that working with this motor, but I should be fine.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
you can use a Black top harness on a red top but you also need to use the ECU for that harness cuz the Black top ECU pin outs are little bit differnt so if your using a black top harness make sure you use PFC for the Blacktop
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
unicoladron
Zilvia Junkie

unicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choices
think about this for a second..
MAYBE! whoever originally had your engine and my engine were friends..

cuz i'm pretty sure i have a redtop, but i have a blacktop vc, and i had the skinny o2 sensor with the skinny dump pipe, and no fins on my head. so let's trade and get everything back to normal!
Old 10-24-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
King 240

hahaha

I got the motor in and all is well minus a few things

the cam is making some squeaking noise every no and then. My tech sais that it could be cause the motor has been sitting and it has to get rid of grime and stuff.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
SHIFT_*grind*
Nissanaholic!

SHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
cuz the Black top ECU pin outs are little bit differnt
Incorrect, unless you're talking about the late model (Kouki) blacktop SR (or possibly the S14 blacktop as well). ECUs from earlier S13 blacktops (94-96) can be used with S13 redtop harnesses without issue. It's the 97-98 S13 blacktop type X ECU that requires a 97-98 wiring harness because of the different pinout.

Also, I've received conflicting information on whether or not a fat O2 sensor will work properly with a redtop ECU. Most people say that it'll work fine, still others say that it won't. It will definitely work, but I can't say for certain that it will work quite as well (meaning, your gas mileage may suffer etc) as a skinny sensor.

I just installed a new skinny sensor to run on my redtop ECU, Bosch part #13791 for an 86 NA 300ZX; I'll try to remember to let you know how it works out =P

Also, if you end up buying a new skinny sensor, do NOT just order one for an '87 300ZX turbo as it says in the FAQ. At least not if it's a Bosch. You'll end up with a square plug instead of a flat one, which could work...if you feel like cutting the plug off and soldering the wires yourself.
SHIFT_*grind* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #8
garagelu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (60)
garagelu is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 60 reviews
Just because it has fins on the head doesnt tell you everything. Late model redtops also have fins on the head. The accurate way to check redtop/blacktop is by looking at the pistons and see if they are 54c or 79e. Also the a/c compressor and bracket can tell you also.
garagelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #9
DJ_Sunrise
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
DJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJ_Sunrise
King 240 you scammer! I'm glad you are showing your face again. So how long do I have to wait till you send me a reply saying you are soooo busy that you cant send me my sr transmission? Please guys, avoid this douche bag. Do not buy from this faggot scammer. Please do not deal with this scammer. I bought a transmission from him 10 months ago. Search for my posts for the S13 transmission. You will see I did. He took my money, and he NEVER sent me a transmission. He simply ran. I live in NJ, he lives in Texas... Obviously I cant go break his legs, but trust me I would. I reported him to paypal, but it was too late. He kept making promises, and then he went on vacation, and then and then.. and then I never received my transmission. Always something but no transmission. He kept on making excuses constantly, saying things like "be patient". If you would like more information, I have ALL PMs, emails, and I will even provide proof through paypal. His real name is Steve Ellis.

Here are some emails. Here is one of the First. I tracked him down to a texas 240sx forum.

1)
Bart,
Excuse the time of contact as yes I have been busy with alot of stuff and
this was last thing on my mind. I can't get into my zilvia account thus I
CAN'T get any information. So lets try this again, need your address.

Sorry for the complications,
-Steven-

2)Its cool man, I completely would have to agree with you I'd be pretty pissed
as well.
So lets get this taken care of ASAP.

Whats the address?

-Steve-

3)Personally dude I've been trying to get this resolved and have asked you to be patient, I understand you are upset about the whole situation but I'm sorry if I have other things coming at me with more of a need to be taken care of.

Do what you want, I'll get to it when I can.

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Hello
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 23:50:34 +0000

Since you have been completely ignoring me, I have decided to take further action. By Jan 1st, I assure you that you will be known as a con, and a scammer on the texas forums. If I do not receive a paypal refund by then, and I several other members from your forums will post every email, and instant message I have had with you. We will send all the emails and IM's to other administrators. Thank you for screwing me out of my money. Seeing you squirm will be pleast. I wish you the worst of luck. May you be damned from here on out.

-Bart (The guy whose money you stole)

There are many more emails. All with the same theme, ohhh im sooooo busy, I dont have enough time. But I bet you had enough time to spend my money you son of a bitch. one day im going to pay you a visit in texas you faggot. I tried both getting my s13 sr transmission from him, and trying to get my money from him. Nothing worked.

-Bart

You fucking cocksucker!!! you said you dont have the money to reimburse me, yet you have money to buy replacement parts and you make money from selling parts? wow. SEND ME MY TRANSMISSION OR SEND ME MY MONEY!!!
DJ_Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #10
jskateborders
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
jskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond reputejskateborders has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jskateborders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
you can use a Black top harness on a red top but you also need to use the ECU for that harness cuz the Black top ECU pin outs are little bit differnt so if your using a black top harness make sure you use PFC for the Blacktop
Only j4 and j5 ecu's give you any real problems. Most black/redtop ecu's are pinned the same though
Old 04-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
iHeartTheTouge
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
iHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
youll never get your money nor your transmission back. its happened to me before.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:18 AM   #12
SHIFT_*grind*
Nissanaholic!

SHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Sunrise View Post
stuff
That sucks and all, but...this thread is 6 months old. He's got current posts all over this forum; why this thread?

edit: Never mind, I see you've posted in those too. Carry on.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #13
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Search my post for o2 sensor info.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #14
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir View Post
fat/skinny are interchangable as long as it fits (most aftermarket elbows are setup for fat type and plug to drill if you got a skinny).

Hope this helps.

WRONG...........
UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #15
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNISA JECS View Post
WRONG...........
How so? Please explain.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #16
njd07
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (14)
njd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfectionnjd07 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via MSN to njd07
give the man his money back you fucking scum. you should be banned from zilvia.
njd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #17
DJ_Sunrise
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
DJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJ_Sunrise
Thank you NJD07, and thank you everyone for the support. I an sorry I have to post this stuff everywhere.. But he is currently selling parts on these forums, and I do NOT want anyone to fall for his shit. He apparently has a tendency to sell a few small things, and never deliver on large items. If anyone has recently bought from him, I would appreciate it if you could provide me with his current address. Here is what his room mates had to say...

1)
I used to be roomates with steve in tx, believe me he does to you what he does to pretty much everyone else. I believe he sold the sr tranny to someone in tx. I have his address in college station for ya incase you decide to take a road trip for an ass whooping. me and his other former roomate are still owed alot of money for the deposit and shit. he scams alot of people on houston240sx.com and texasnissans.com if you feel so inclined to rant there about his shaddy dealings, but they already know
here ya go

Steve J Ellis
701 Hereford st.
College Station, TX

oh and I believe this is still his cell number 979-492-9222. and heres his moms number 979-492-6936

any other info you might need feel free to ask for it. if I can help in anyway let me know.

enjoy

2)
believe me it was always something when it came time to pay the rent and utilities, he was nowhere to be found for weeks, we always had to cover it. he recently bought rims for his car and a new sr20 so Im pretty sure he had the money to ship your tranny. if you want to post about him being a fraud on other forums and screwing people go ahead. search some of those sites as well for plenty of threads on him screwing people there in tx. no need to make a list of parts or anything, I did it as, lets say a professional courtasy to someone who feels your pain. anything else you may need let me know.

These were both written by his room mates. My next step is to report him to the FBI internet crime watch. I will keep everyone informed.

-Bart
DJ_Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:33 AM   #18
SHIFT_*grind*
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
How so? Please explain.
A redtop will run with a blacktop O2, but it's still not the correct sensor for the ECU. You'd probably pick up a few MPG by using the right sensor.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:00 AM   #19
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Its to my understanding it'll work, but won't work properly... Redtop O2 is titania and Blacktop O2 is zirconia.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #20
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFT_*grind* View Post
A redtop will run with a blacktop O2, but it's still not the correct sensor for the ECU. You'd probably pick up a few MPG by using the right sensor.
What is the difference between a fatty and a skinny sensor other than the thread size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Its to my understanding it'll work, but won't work properly... Redtop O2 is titania and Blacktop O2 is zirconia.
What is the difference between titania and zirconia?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #21
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
What is the difference between a fatty and a skinny sensor other than the thread size?
One works off a 0-1 volt scale (fatty) the other works off a very wide range of resistance (skinny).
Old 04-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #22
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
One works off a 0-1 volt scale (fatty) the other works off a very wide range of resistance (skinny).
Are we both talking about skinny 3-wire redtop O2 sensors?

This? http://phase2motorsports.stores.yaho...1sr20det1.html

What does the ECU expect to see on the O2 sensor signal wire for each type?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #23
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

(Fatty Zirconia)
In the case of the ECU it expects to see a 0-1 volt signal osciallating in closed loop and ignores o2 signal in open loop (WOT).

(Skinny Titania)
Variable resistance much better than the Zirconia and quicker to respond to changes probably only 5% of all production cars come with these sensors.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:56 AM   #24
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
(Fatty Zirconia)
In the case of the ECU it expects to see a 0-1 volt signal osciallating in closed loop and ignores o2 signal in open loop (WOT).
I agree with this part.

Quote:
(Skinny Titania)
Variable resistance much better than the Zirconia and quicker to respond to changes probably only 5% of all production cars come with these sensors.
On the redtop which supposedly has the titania, what is the function of each of the 3 wires going to the O2 sensor?

I don't mean to be a dumbass, but there is a lot of misconception on this topic.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #25
nizm0_kid

nizm0_kid is an unknown quantity at this point
well i kno as far as performance there is no difference but if it were me i would take a black top because its a newer motor. redtops came out first on the olser 240s then came black top...newer motor less miles ect...need i say more
nizm0_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #26
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Quote:

What is the difference between titania and zirconia?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor
Old 04-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #27
180sxLove
Leaky Injector

180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about
1 is ground, 1 is power, and 1 is for the heater
180sxLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #28
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180sxLove View Post
1 is ground, 1 is power, and 1 is for the heater
According to this, how does the ECU read the sensor signal because there is no ECU signal wire, or is that what "power" is? What is your source?

Quote:
Is this your source?

If your assertion is true, what does the ECU expect to see at the o2 sensor signal wire for each type?
Old 04-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #29
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Quote:
According to this, how does the ECU read the sensor signal because there is no ECU signal wire, or is that what "power" is? What is your source?

Is this your source?

If your assertion is true, what does the ECU expect to see at the o2 sensor signal wire for each type?
Redtop ECU's provide the voltage to the Skinny O2 titania sensor and the resistance in the sensor changes based on rich/lean. The Zirconia sensors have their own voltage they send to the blacktop ECU and the ECU reads that and the rich/lean condition is adjusted... This is what I've always known but if you care to prove me wrong by explaining I'm all ears.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #30
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Redtop ECU's provide the voltage to the Skinny O2 titania sensor and the resistance in the sensor changes based on rich/lean. The Zirconia sensors have their own voltage they send to the blacktop ECU and the ECU reads that and the rich/lean condition is adjusted... This is what I've always known but if you care to prove me wrong by explaining I'm all ears.
I don't want to prove anybody wrong. I just don't want a lot of bad info floating around.

Remedial info in my post: http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=113925

This is the only thing that matters:
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=113925

This is what the ECU sees at O2 sensor signal pin. The ECU doesn't care how the sensor actually works; only that .9 or more V, i.e. the presence of voltage, indicates a rich condition and 0V, i.e. the absence of voltage, indicates a lean condition.

While I agree that there are different materials used in the sensor, and each type has its own pros and cons, but in general, referring back to the ECU, this is all that the ECU expects to see. While it's also true that some types responds more quickly than other, but again, narrowband is very inaccurate so the ECU pulses O2 signal timing to get an aggregte reading.

With all SR motors, the O2 sensor has 3 wires: 2 non-polar power and ground for the heating element, and 1 for the signal wire. See my link above for this info.

The misunderstanding is in the fact that some manufacturers say that you shouldn't interchange O2 sensor type. This applies to severe duty or marine application where one works submerged in water while the other doesn't. In this application, only the functional submerged type can be used.

If you disagree with me, put a multimeter, or better yet, use a datalogger, on the O2 sensor signal wire for a fatty and a skinny and compare the reading to a wideband running at the same time. See what you get.