Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-22-2007, 04:30 PM   #301
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavster
So, I didnt get done what I wanted this weekend, and even hit a small road block. My pan is a tad too shallow to clear, so I would need to rework everything
How can it be too shallow to clear? Clear what? You can recess a dry sump pan anywhere you want till it hits the crank!

I'm installing a corvette LS1 into my 98s14 and have been investigating many of the same issues. After talking to a couple of guys that do nothing but pan fabrication, I've learned a few things.

#1 making/modifying a wet sump pan is risky buisness. The fluid dynamics of a pan are impossible to predict. And can lead to both serious windage and oil pressure problems.

#2 unless you just plan on handing ARE $1-2k. dry sumps are a rediculous pain in the ass. and will probably end up costing you over $1k anyway. One benefit that wasn't mentioned before is that you can gain a few more horsepower by going with lower tension piston rings if you are dry sump. But it also wasn't mentioned that if you throw a simple belt that your engine goes *boom* with no oil pressure.

#3 if you plan on modifying a wet sump pan at all get an ACCUSUMP. Hell get one even if you plan on drifting with a good stock wet sump. Not only do they prevent spun bearings, but can even be used as preoilers. Pretty cool. I just picked up a manual valved 3QT one from a circle track dude complete with mounts for my cage for $130.
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2007, 07:31 PM   #302
Gavster
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Gavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Gavster
Good post Sicbastard,

I think I did decide to stick with dry sump as you mentioned, based on the trickery with wet sump, haha. The problem with the pan was that it didnt clear the mains/crank support etc underneath since those parts *barely* protrude past the block....i just need to mod it, and the pan def clears everything else so. Im sure I will be spending 1000 plus on the oil sys alone...I mean, the ATI crank damper with a oil drive pulley on it runs 700 by itself so...eh...i know im in deep It will come out well though, I promise!
Gavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #303
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
So did you cut too much off of the oil pan?

Carlos
Slidin240Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:14 PM   #304
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
Thumbs up

wow, im subscribing to this thread! This is one of the baddest builds i have ever seen!!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #305
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Those ATI balancers are expensive! But a really good idea too. Especially on an engine like the RBs with their hell for long cranks. Plus they are rebuildable, and a lot of pro builders claim that they are worth some hp just by smoothing everything out at high rpm. Like I said before, make sure that your piston supplier knows that you're running a boosted engine with a dry sump. One nice thing about the extra weight of the dry sump system is that you can put it anywhere. Stick your Sumptank/Air seperator back where the gas evap shit is behind the rear passenger wheel!

PS. I really dig your cage. It's nice to see someone finally install a harness bar at the appropriate height for once! You may want to consider adding some more bars down from the main hoop in addition to the X. I know that NHRA regulations require that the main hoop supports be no more than 7-15 degrees off 90 from the hoop. The X is more like 45 degrees off.

Something I've been having trouble getting a straight answer on is where is the best place to attach the harness. I've heard some say far away to allow a little "stretch" on impact. And other more reputable sources say as close as possible to the seat (the harness bar) because there is a reduced chance of deformation (less likely to have a change in the tension of the harness) on impact. I can't make up my mind.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:53 PM   #306
RUTH'LESSDET
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
RUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to RUTH'LESSDET
This is a crazy build I love it more pics please
Old 02-24-2007, 06:31 PM   #307
Ameer
Zilvia Member

Ameer is making a name for him/her selfAmeer is making a name for him/her self
I agree with RUTH'LESSDET
Ameer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:26 AM   #308
corey240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
corey240 is not welcome here anymorecorey240 is not welcome here anymorecorey240 is not welcome here anymorecorey240 is not welcome here anymorecorey240 is not welcome here anymorecorey240 is not welcome here anymorecorey240 is not welcome here anymorecorey240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to corey240 Send a message via MSN to corey240
damn man iv been following this thread since it started and i already thought it was coming along awsome and your welds were nice, i finaly got to do my first welding ever yesterday and i suck. you cannot appreciate a fine weld until you try it for the first time, yours are beuts
Old 03-03-2007, 03:21 AM   #309
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
I am fiending for some mor eprogress pics!!!!
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #310
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

kouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kouki_s14
What dry sump pump, lines, kit, etc are you planning on using? ARE stuff? Price? Are you mounting the resevior in the trunk?
Just curious so i know what to expect if i decide to go this route with the new build. Any info on this would be great, thanks.

Henry
kouki_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #311
BLITZZZ
BANNED

BLITZZZ is making his/her stupidity well-knownBLITZZZ is making his/her stupidity well-knownBLITZZZ is making his/her stupidity well-knownBLITZZZ is making his/her stupidity well-knownBLITZZZ is making his/her stupidity well-known
thread is going downhill!!!! need more pics! keep this thread alive!
BLITZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:32 PM   #312
S13FREEAAK
Drifterella

Trader Rating: (14)
S13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Give him some time. Its not as quick of a process as everyone seems to think.
S13FREEAAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:15 PM   #313
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLITZZZ
thread is going downhill!!!! need more pics! keep this thread alive!
This Ain't "Unique Whips" Jag-Off. And there aren't 36 guys working 24 hours a day 7 days a week on this project.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:46 AM   #314
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
Props all around sir!!!! Great Fab. work!!!!

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #315
Gavster
Zilvia Junkie

Gavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfection
Haha keep yer britches on! Ill get updates ASAP, but im honestly waiting to paint it, and the weather has owned me 2 weekends in a row...65 degree week days and all of a sudden 35-40 on saturday and sunday leaving me to do nothing lol. Good news is, this saturday and sunday its suppossed to be 70, so I should at the least get the car primed inside and out!! Stay tuned!!!

About the dry sump...Im not using a kit, but making all of my own stuff. My own pan, getting a pump anf making a bracket, setting up the drive on the crank, etc. its gonna be good, but still gotta source a lot of it! Ill keep you posted though

Thanks to everyone for still keeping up with this....school is whipping my ass, got a new job, etc etc but i still find the time so just bear with me!
Old 03-10-2007, 11:08 PM   #316
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
ive been checkin your thread on the weekly and sometimes daily and just to be disapointed, but atleast i kow when you post pics it wwill be worth the wait.
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:10 AM   #317
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Gavster, what was it about your RB26hybrid intake that you didn't like?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:44 PM   #318
Gavster
Zilvia Junkie

SicBastard, the ports on the rb25 part arent totally in a linear pattern, so the fitment, runner to runner on the two halves leaves a bit to be desired, but it could be cleared up with some porting! I think I will do something a little more extreme But, if anyone wants it I could easily sell it(read make an offer if you are interested, itll be cheap)

To everyone that has been patiently awaiting updates...this is a pretty big one! The weather finally cooperated and since its spring break...I have been making major progress! The car is finally primed all the way out! Its so nice to have a car sitting out in my garage thats finally all one color..it looks sooooo much better and is far more inspiring to me. This thurs I will have the interior painted and the bay painted too so watch for more updates! Heres a short synopsis of whats been going on:

This sunday, my friend who paints came over to help me prep n prime the car! The guy doing the spray for me is really awesome even has 2 cars he has sprayed in a local museum! Anywho, we primed the interior and engine bay sunday and then tonight we primed the rest! For those wondering about the pink....we sprayed it on to aide in blocking out the primer, look for the shout out Enjoy, and thanks for always keeping up with this guys, its inspiring!! Now, the pics:

First light the car has seen in a long time!!

A lil more bondo on the tranny tunnel to smooth some things out

Inside as of sunday afternoon

Gettin ready to spray primer tonight:

Jon doin' his thing

Woot!

Of course he had to sign it lol

Cupid has me roped in on this one haha

Obligatory shout out!! Zilvia.net!

Looking bueno!

Thanks guys, keep watchin it!!

-Gav
Old 03-13-2007, 11:50 PM   #319
sr20boostn20
Zilvia Junkie

sr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to sr20boostn20
wow lookin fresh
sr20boostn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:35 AM   #320
JewGal
Leaky Injector

JewGal is a well-known jackass
Wink Car looks EVIL (in a good way).

Dean loves Zilvia.net? Well, Zilvia.net loves Dean too.
JewGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:57 AM   #321
speedfiend
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (68)
speedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
Send a message via AIM to speedfiend
Ive been following this thread since the begining but havent really posted anything. I just wanted to say that things are coming together great and give you mad props on all the hard work you have put into the car. I love when people take on chellenges like this instead of handing their car to a shop to do it for them. +a million for the excellent DIY work. I could only wish to have the welding skills that you have. Keep the updates coming and I cant wait to see the final product. Good luck with all the work.
speedfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #322
240trainee
Post Whore!

240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to 240trainee
hell yea man

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookoutDrift
240trainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:17 PM   #323
s13speeddrft
Zilvia Member

s13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to s13speeddrft
i'm lovin this thread. keep her rollin' man, great job!

*Junkyard Scavenger*
s13speeddrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #324
swift_style
Zilvia Junkie

swift_style is a jewel in the roughswift_style is a jewel in the roughswift_style is a jewel in the roughswift_style is a jewel in the roughswift_style is a jewel in the roughswift_style is a jewel in the roughswift_style is a jewel in the rough
when this baby is running, update up please!! I wanna see the end results
swift_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #325
S13FREEAAK
Drifterella

Trader Rating: (14)
S13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_style
when this baby is running, update up please!! I wanna see the end results
He just did an update?

Give the guy some time, I'm sure he is not really concerned about when other people want updates.
S13FREEAAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:56 PM   #326
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
Quote:
Originally Posted by S13FREEAAK
He just did an update?

Give the guy some time, I'm sure he is not really concerned about when other people want updates.

True. But, I'm sure he is glad to read that people are interested in what he is doing and I'm sure it gives him more motivation to finish. A write up like this deserves praise and enthusiasm!

If you don't have something nice to say, then Shhhhhhh....

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:51 PM   #327
Gavster
Zilvia Junkie

thanks guys for your continued support....i know lots of people on here got used to my weekly updates but they have gotten a bit slower....hang in there and keep watchin!

SO a question to the masses....im buying my aero shortly...VS version 1 or Origin stylish....whats the verdict?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:58 PM   #328
Ian
Post Whore!

Ian is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfection
Why did you primer it all smooth and then paint on it? lol

Don't get either, do something different! Maybe BN blister kit! Or Msports and slam it

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookOutDrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
No it isn't
This is "cool stickers"
not"let's make our car look like a pile of shit and dead babies"
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:53 AM   #329
s13speeddrft
Zilvia Member

s13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to s13speeddrft
out of those 2....my pick is origin.

*Junkyard Scavenger*
s13speeddrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:00 AM   #330
Gumballf355
Zilvia Addict

Gumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Gumballf355
Origin Stylish...
Gumballf355 is offline   Reply With Quote