Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #2281
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckless35 View Post
unlike the rest of the peanut gallery who mostly post on here on 17's
What does tire width have to do with the diameter of the wheel?

But yes, according to the original post of this thread, I guess your fitment is within the guidelines of the thread. However, when I here "max" fitment, I assume it's max tire fitment for the vehicle... not for the wheel. Otherwise by that logic I would have to be impressed by a 225 on a 18x7

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #2282
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
What does tire width have to do with the diameter of the wheel?

But yes, according to the original post of this thread, I guess your fitment is within the guidelines of the thread. However, when I here "max" fitment, I assume it's max tire fitment for the vehicle... not for the wheel. Otherwise by that logic I would have to be impressed by a 225 on a 18x7
I completely agree... No one cares if you got a 255 on an 8.5" rim in the rear.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #2283
Wreckless35
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Wreckless35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wreckless35
Gentleman, I absolutely agree with you on all aspects, I personally would love to be rollin 295/305 no less but for 2 reasons I am not... 1) I got my tire sets for a total of $200; can't beat that regardless & 2) Trojan Magnum's go on when you have enough power to churn the butter. Simply put I'm too underpowered to run that much rubber (not ashamed to say it) but literally next month my engine bay gets a significant upgrade and from there I'll make all the necessary changes. Sound good?
Wreckless35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #2284
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Wreckless, you aren't the only one here... There were a few people above you. You're in the 275s out back which is still respectable, however 275's on a 10.5" rim is not max Trojan...
Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #2285
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckless35 View Post
Gentleman, I absolutely agree with you on all aspects, I personally would love to be rollin 295/305 no less but for 2 reasons I am not... 1) I got my tire sets for a total of $200; can't beat that regardless & 2) Trojan Magnum's go on when you have enough power to churn the butter. Simply put I'm too underpowered to run that much rubber (not ashamed to say it) but literally next month my engine bay gets a significant upgrade and from there I'll make all the necessary changes. Sound good?
Sounds good to me! What do you happen to have in store for power?

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #2286
mikerbike
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
mikerbike is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Allen Burge View Post
Life begins at 335/35/17, this is the size I really want for my coupe! I think I could run them on a 12" wheel (?). But at a 12" width what offset is the highest I could run before hitting the coilover? That would help determine how much of a flare would be needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerbike View Post
That depends on camber.

18x8.5 +32 0* camber. My fingers are up to the second knuckle (just shy of 3") and have room to spare from the coilover, which seems to be about 3/8" closer to the wheel than the body at this point.

Here's the clearance to the control arm. My fingers are up at the first knuckle and they are squished. I think 2 fingers at the second knuckle (just shy of 2") would be a more appropriate measurement.

And, with a 17" wheel both of these measurements will be a bit different, as the coilover and control arm are sloped away from the center of the wheel.
So now I'll add 3.5" width and less 1.5" backspace (I estimate a 17" wheel will have about ~0.5" less control arm clearance) and end up with a 17x12 ~+25.

OldNew Diameter637.2mm666.3mm Circumference2001.8mm2093.2mm Poke76mm127.4mm Inset140mm177.4mm Speedo error0%-4.37% Reading at 30mph30mph28.69mph Reading at 60mph60mph57.38mph Ride height gain0mm14.55mm Arch gap loss 0mm14.55mm
Backspacing- 140 vs. 177.4mm.

But I don't know how much more camber it takes to get closer to the coilover than the control arm.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #2287
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Who cares about the control arm? It will be inside the wheel and even if it didn't, you'd be into the strut before that happened.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #2288
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Who cares about the control arm? It will be inside the wheel and even if it didn't, you'd be into the strut before that happened.
I had to notch the lower control arm on the setup I'm running.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #2289
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Why did you have to notch it? Full lock clearance? I can't see why the bottom side would have to be notched...
Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #2290
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Why did you have to notch it? Full lock clearance? I can't see why the bottom side would have to be notched...
Sorry, I thought we were talking about the rears.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #2291
jr_ss
Post Whore!

I just reread his post, looks like he is talking about the rears... I understand why on those. Not enough inboard clearance if you aren't running ridiculous camber.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #2292
Wreckless35
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Sounds good to me! What do you happen to have in store for power?
Oh you know... S14 notch top, BC stoker kit up'd it to 2.2L, Mazwork built head & Haltech tuned...

On & cracccin *check*
Excited *double check*
My GF & bank account hate me *ABSOLUTELY CHECK*

Hense why, rollin with what I got for now.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #2293
bkg775
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
bkg775 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Like a boss *check* haha
Old 02-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #2294
Wreckless35
Zilvia Member

^^^Exactly.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:02 AM   #2295
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
IDK if this guy posted in here or not.
It's not mine but geez.
(Working on getting specs)

* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #2296
hellion240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

hellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enough
I haven't gotten any bites on the other thread in a few days, so i'll post here...

back again... same question but with a different specs. looking at the 15x8 +20 or 16x8+20
now... looking to fit 225/50 on there. again when i lower it, it will only be an inch or so. don't want to molest the fenders. debating on this for a while now gotta bit the bullet soon :/ i will have all three rear arms, tension rods, aftrmrkt sways, stock brake setup specs just upgraded. c/o's, collars, etc

was set on going with the 225/50/15 but with stock height and 50 series tires the gap would be rather awkward, I would have to slam it to make it look right... or get 60 series tires. and going with 225s I think I would have more problems aka more trouble to make them fit.

also i go to different tire calculators and they give me different readings for the speedo. 1010 tires gives me @ 60mph for 225/50/16 = 58.4 mph discounttire = 61.6 rimsntires = 61.7

how do i determine which is right? i see that i look at the revs per mile but they all have diff numbers.

thanks again guys for the help. i believe that 225/60/15 would be too tall and wide to fit stock metal fenders. not only that but for aggressive/spirited driving, on off ramps etc/ not on on the track, it would actually hinder the handling vs a 50 series tire.. is that correct thinking? if it wouldn't hinder and fit without modding of the fenders i would do it. 225/50/16 fit with no problems from someone on here. i really would like to do the 15s as i have seen a few s14s pull it off quite nicely. a PM a few more ppl whos ride i found through LOTS of searching. so i am waiting on their responses as well.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #2297
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka240sx808 View Post
idk if this guy posted in here or not.
It's not mine but geez.
(working on getting specs)

moar! naow!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #2298
BTplaya
Leaky Injector

BTplaya is an unknown quantity at this point
^ Loving that!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #2299
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellion240sx View Post
I haven't gotten any bites on the other thread in a few days, so i'll post here...

back again... same question but with a different specs. looking at the 15x8 +20 or 16x8+20
now... looking to fit 225/50 on there. again when i lower it, it will only be an inch or so. don't want to molest the fenders. debating on this for a while now gotta bit the bullet soon :/ i will have all three rear arms, tension rods, aftrmrkt sways, stock brake setup specs just upgraded. c/o's, collars, etc

was set on going with the 225/50/15 but with stock height and 50 series tires the gap would be rather awkward, I would have to slam it to make it look right... or get 60 series tires. and going with 225s I think I would have more problems aka more trouble to make them fit.

also i go to different tire calculators and they give me different readings for the speedo. 1010 tires gives me @ 60mph for 225/50/16 = 58.4 mph discounttire = 61.6 rimsntires = 61.7

how do i determine which is right? i see that i look at the revs per mile but they all have diff numbers.

thanks again guys for the help. i believe that 225/60/15 would be too tall and wide to fit stock metal fenders. not only that but for aggressive/spirited driving, on off ramps etc/ not on on the track, it would actually hinder the handling vs a 50 series tire.. is that correct thinking? if it wouldn't hinder and fit without modding of the fenders i would do it. 225/50/16 fit with no problems from someone on here. i really would like to do the 15s as i have seen a few s14s pull it off quite nicely. a PM a few more ppl whos ride i found through LOTS of searching. so i am waiting on their responses as well.
You want the fitment questions thread not this one.
silviaks2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #2300
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Not running a 300 series on stock metal yet but I guess it's somewhat respectable. The fronts still rub so I'm going to raise the whole car about 3/4"

18x9.5 +6 255/35 ~3*

18x11 +30 295/30 ~2*

Old 02-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #2301
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

^^^^^Damn near perfect max tire fitment!^^^^^ Although raising the car 3/4" is going to ruin that studly look.

I have always considered some CCW's for mine.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #2302
Tommy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (11)
Tommy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
agreed, raising it will throw it off
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #2303
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
Spencer that Kouki has been looking awesome since you got it long long ago.
I think the height is perfect. Maybe raise the front maybe 5mm or 1/8"? Not much but may be enough to stop the rubbing?

And since were on the topic of your Kouki, what rear lip is that? Looks like a Modded Honda lip lol.
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #2304
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA240SX808 View Post
And since were on the topic of your Kouki, what rear lip is that? Looks like a Modded Honda lip lol.
Because it is a Honda Accord lip...
Old 02-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #2305
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

I really don't want to raise it either. I'll start with small increments I suppose.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #2306
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellion240sx View Post

Just go with the 15x8 +20 on 225/50/15.

Lighter and smaller rolling diameter. R&p and you're good. You can slam it with that setup also. What wheels you getting? 5lug?
Black R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #2307
hellion240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

hellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black R View Post
Just go with the 15x8 +20 on 225/50/15.

Lighter and smaller rolling diameter. R&p and you're good. You can slam it with that setup also. What wheels you getting? 5lug?
don't want to slam, only lower an inch or so. also i DO NOT want to roll or pull the fenders :/
Old 02-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #2308
hellion240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
You want the fitment questions thread not this one.
tried but it seems dead lately :/
Old 02-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #2309
RAMM
Leaky Injector

RAMM is an unknown quantity at this point
I ran 275 R888's on all four corners last year..and tire contact patch isn't everything.

Going down to a 255 front
and keeping the 275 rear

Its way to hard to keep a 275 up front without having to destroy/modify your front fenders and bumper. Not to mention I was on stock wheel wells.
RAMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #2310
solo_ryder
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
solo_ryder is making a name for him/her selfsolo_ryder is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Guys some advice? Running a 17x9 +30 gtr wheel on my s14. Thinking of running 255 40 17 all round.. Am I gonna have rubbing issues? Rear arches are rolled and I am on RSR lowering springs. I dont think it will be an issue but I want to make sure before I buy the tires. Have been doing alot of researching, but dont wanna mess it up. This is for a DD/back road driving setup
solo_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote