Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:44 PM   #331
blknismo180

Trader Rating: (0)
blknismo180 is making his/her stupidity well-knownblknismo180 is making his/her stupidity well-knownblknismo180 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
but has anyone done it.....
i heard the same as teh V8 titan motor is quiet a bit of work....
but iv'e seen it...
does anyone have the 4.6 in there 240?
blknismo180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2007, 10:18 PM   #332
.chris.

.chris. is an unknown quantity at this point
Cam in Block is the way to go

I really don't understand all this discussion about overhead cam V8's. A lot of them are as wide as big blocks and that's not an ideal situation with our cars.

Cam in block motors (SBF, SBC, LS1 etc.) are physically smaller, usually lighter, and can make as much power as these other engines.

I am doing a SBC V8 240. It will have a custom engine set up. Nothing too fancy, but reliable and powerful. It will be carb fed as well.
.chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:04 AM   #333
heartcooksmouse
Leaky Injector

heartcooksmouse is on the path to ruinheartcooksmouse is on the path to ruinheartcooksmouse is on the path to ruin
Send a message via AIM to heartcooksmouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
All you have to do for the guages is hook up the tach lead off the ls1 harness with the voltage converter, and run the ka temp sensor sender and hard wire it to the stock temp guage.

Also the wiring is hella easy.

gm designed the ls1 wiring harness as almost stand alone. its just

constant power (memory)
Switchable power (ecu power)
Ground (duh)
ignition tumbler (just tap off the lead from your ls1 harness to the switchable on the tumbler)

Woot.

so if its that easy whats the labor cost/wiring cost for this?
same as sr price? for me i got that for 350. if its easier than would it be like what... 250... 300?
has the price for the kit been lowered?
last i checked today on this site was 1225 or sometihng from you. that still the price even if you get corvette mounts already?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #334
Mikey213
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (-1)
Mikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really nice
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
anyone tried the vh45de? aluminum v8 to...
Mikey213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:41 AM   #335
viperbite
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
viperbite is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey213 View Post
anyone tried the vh45de? aluminum v8 to...
google
its been done
viperbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #336
chitosdr
Leaky Injector

chitosdr is making a name for him/her selfchitosdr is making a name for him/her self
Made my first run with the LS1 last night and I'm pretty happy with it. 12.77 @111.49. This was at MIR, only got to do 3 runs and I was running 225/45/18s on the rear open stock diff and full interior. Weighed the car with full interior, full stereo, full tank, tools, spare tire, 3200 with me in the car (185). Like I said, I'm pretty happy, I was able to run with some moddified Saleens and I got to chase a new Z06 and a Porshe GT2.

I was spinning through the top of third gear, kind of scary at half track kicking sideways.
chitosdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:37 PM   #337
nx2kjl

nx2kjl is an unknown quantity at this point
I am currently putting a carb'd 350 into my S13 with a TH350 transmission. Has anyone done this? I really would like some tips on mount placement, and setting the drive angle (pinion angle).

I really wish I could afford an LS1, but making my house payment is more important. However, I do have a welder, access to steel, and a lot of time.

Anyways, any tips would be appreciated. Ill be helping a friend with his ls1 swap soon , so maybe that experience will help my project.
nx2kjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:07 AM   #338
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nx2kjl View Post
I am currently putting a carb'd 350 into my S13 with a TH350 transmission. Has anyone done this? I really would like some tips on mount placement, and setting the drive angle (pinion angle).

I really wish I could afford an LS1, but making my house payment is more important. However, I do have a welder, access to steel, and a lot of time.

Anyways, any tips would be appreciated. Ill be helping a friend with his ls1 swap soon , so maybe that experience will help my project.
You will have to notch the firewall to get the HEI to clear. How much are you willing to pay for custom mounts? I can have the shop replicate the ones I'm using. PM me.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:08 AM   #339
nx2kjl

Actually if you would post or pm me pictures of your mount set-up, I wanted to make my own. And maybe a description of where you are mounting them, etc... I would really appreciate it. I have almost everything I need, now Im just stumped on the mounting process.

Also, if I used my stock gas tank, walbro 255 pump, and utilize the return line to the gas tank, with a fuel regulator set around 7 psi, would this fuel set-up work without burning up the pump?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #340
qwarnon
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
qwarnon has a spectacular aura aboutqwarnon has a spectacular aura aboutqwarnon has a spectacular aura aboutqwarnon has a spectacular aura aboutqwarnon has a spectacular aura aboutqwarnon has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
could some one possibly post up some wiring diagrams or details on wiring for EFI and TBI 350s into 240sx?

also g6civcx how much are we talking for these mounts?
qwarnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #341
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
Actually if you would post or pm me pictures of your mount set-up, I wanted to make my own. And maybe a description of where you are mounting them, etc... I would really appreciate it. I have almost everything I need, now Im just stumped on the mounting process.

Also, if I used my stock gas tank, walbro 255 pump, and utilize the return line to the gas tank, with a fuel regulator set around 7 psi, would this fuel set-up work without burning up the pump?

The mounting is the most difficult part. Everything else is just nuts and bolts.

I don't want to divulge details on the mounts right now because it's not finalized. After I can get the entire drivetrain working then it will be released.

You need a fuel pump controller to regulate the pressure down to 7PSI. Most electronic FPR won't go that low. The pump will be no worse than on a stock engine.

Or you can ditch your stock fuel pump completely and run the chevy mechanical pump. No return line necessary.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:33 PM   #342
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Last edited by g6civcx; 11-27-2007 at 07:26 AM..
Old 11-25-2007, 04:37 PM   #343
nx2kjl

WTF is the big secret? I thought we all joined boards like this to learn\share info. THIS is what is holding my swap back, im taking detailed notes, measurements, pictures, etc... to share with everybody. I'm not holding anything back. Why cant others be the same way?
Old 11-25-2007, 06:53 PM   #344
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Last edited by g6civcx; 11-27-2007 at 07:25 AM..
Old 11-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #345
nx2kjl

Thats what pm's are for.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:01 PM   #346
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
There's a few mounting setups that you can do. Basically it's a give or take setup due to the transmission rear hump coming into contact with the firewall / transmission tunnel. Here's the options that I've come across in my swap as well as others.
1. Modify transmission tunnel to clear frontal hump on the transmission.
This is usually done by bashing the transmission tunnel to give it enough
clearance to fit.

2. Put a 3/4" spacer between the x-member and the chassis to give the transmission enough clearance.

I chose #2 because it was a much cleaner install. You will need pillow end links to compensate for the suspension drop.

As for engine mounting setups You can check out my thread here...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread...highlight=mmdb

I used a rb20det x-member from a skyline gts r32. Reason being the pods that support the engine come up directly to the engine. This helps with ease of install. If you plan on using the existing x-member you can do a search on LS1tech.com and you'll find a few people (daftpunk being one that comes to mind) that have used this approach.

As for the transmission mount I used a bushing made by Energy suspension and a custom fabricated brace that used the stock mounting points. This again made for a clean install.

There's more than one way to approach this install. Some are easier than others. As far as wiring goes you'll need to make sure the fuel pump is running when given ignition and also the ignition wires need to be powered up. That's basically it. Also, don't forget to get the VAS (vehicle antilock system ) disabled. Otherwise it won't let you start the car.

Good luck. PM me if you have any other questions.
mmdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #347
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:

Why are you using a FPR? You can pick one up from a corvette and use that. That's what I'm using. No need for anything fancy unless you plan on tuning the thing.

I believe there's more than one version for the 240sx. Make sure it's for the turbo motor or high hp. I think it's 255lph. Also, when there's fuel pressure make sure you get ~65ps.
mmdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:52 PM   #348
KansaiDrifter
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
KansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
hey not to thread jack or anything but there's another site that you might find helpful www.silviaV8.com

i have pix of my ls13 on there and alot of others do to. just figured i'd throw that out there.
KansaiDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:12 PM   #349
silvia302
Leaky Injector

silvia302 is on the path to ruinsilvia302 is on the path to ruin
i did the 302 v8 swap in my 240 sx s14. it was really time consuming and yes hard. alot of fabricated parts. alot alot of time. mounts were a problem i had to make them out of another one off ebay. (mustang wearhouse) the oil pan i used a 351w and it fit great. driveshaft i had custom made by fleetpride for 200.00. wiring was actually pretty easy when u got a master tech as a friend .. but i will post pics soon. its in flat satin black as of now and currently up for sale for 8k. my painter bailed on me due to problems he was having with the fam so i may just sell it if flat satin..it looks mean...anyone need any info your more then welcome to pm me if need be, or if your interested in the 302 torque monster, pm me also... ciao
Old 12-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #350
g6civcx
Post Whore!

A peek at mine. Clears the hood just fine even with the air cleaner.

Chevy 350 GenI, carb, Borg Warner T5, HEI, mechanical fuel pump, block hugger headers, custom Y-pipe to meet stock cat, BMC is reused, clutch master is reused, custom brake lines from BMC to caliper, taka clutch line, custom rear sump oil pan cut and rewelded to clear subframe, steering rack is reused, custom hi and lo pressure steering lines, jones racing serpentine kit which comes with alt, steering pump, idler pulley, water pump bracket, oil filter relocation kit.

The motor clears the SR koyo and FAL by a good 10". The firewall is moved back a good 6".

If anybody has any specific question about this setup PM me. Please do not ask about mounts, for now.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:13 AM   #351
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
A peek at mine. Clears the hood just fine even with the air cleaner.

Chevy 350 GenI, carb, Borg Warner T5, HEI, mechanical fuel pump, block hugger headers, custom Y-pipe to meet stock cat, BMC is reused, clutch master is reused, custom brake lines from BMC to caliper, taka clutch line, custom rear sump oil pan cut and rewelded to clear subframe, steering rack is reused, custom hi and lo pressure steering lines, jones racing serpentine kit which comes with alt, steering pump, idler pulley, water pump bracket, oil filter relocation kit.

The motor clears the SR koyo and FAL by a good 10". The firewall is moved back a good 6".

If anybody has any specific question about this setup PM me. Please do not ask about mounts, for now.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7228/enginelp4.jpg[/img]
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4576/firewallib4.jpg[/img]
Holy shit, good job man. Is it running yet? If so, any vids?
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #352
5.6inmyS14

5.6inmyS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
luke the duke, what up foo, good to see your work online.

holla its kutty
5.6inmyS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:07 PM   #353
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Haha. Whats up?

Post some pics of your swap.

Also if anyone has any v8 swap questions feel free to pm me.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:21 AM   #354
Sir
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Sir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
what headers will work with LS2 (GTO) in S14?
I know they need to be modified, and everyone says longtubes are best. I just need to figure out what I can order so I don't have to have him make it from scratch.
Sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:26 AM   #355
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
www.hinsonsupercars.com makes bolt in long tube headers. They are full tig welded, and stainless. Give brain a call, he is a nice guy and can help you with your swap.

fyi. ls1/ls2 headers are the same.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:27 AM   #356
Risu2112
Leaky Injector

Risu2112 has a spectacular aura aboutRisu2112 has a spectacular aura aboutRisu2112 has a spectacular aura aboutRisu2112 has a spectacular aura aboutRisu2112 has a spectacular aura aboutRisu2112 has a spectacular aura about
Hello sirs, working on my S13 (hatchback) + LS1 swap, everything is pretty much planned out except for the frame, what exactly do you guys recommend I do/have done to keep my frame from getting bent out of shape? Going fast is fun and all but I certainly want to still be able to close my door! haha. Aiming for around 400 hp out of the LS1..
Read through here but didn't find to much info on that other than something needs to be done

Thanks!
Risu2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #357
Sir
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Sir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Thanks Luke, but paying $800+ for a set of headers is crazy to me when I got access to someone who can modify a set.

Risu - most of the cars I've seen have had been stitch welded and/or caged, but I've never seen anyone say its needed.
Unless you're referring to the modification for lower cross member, which is needed to clear the oil pan.
Sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #358
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir View Post

Unless you're referring to the modification for lower cross member, which is needed to clear the oil pan.
You can either mod the subframe or the oil pan. There are pros and cons to both approaches.

I chose to keep the subframe and mod the oil pan.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #359
blu808
Post Whore!

Your frame should be fine. Dont worry about twisting the frame unless you are running huge slicks and like 600 whp.

You can stiffen it up by seam welding and caging the car though if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risu2112 View Post
Hello sirs, working on my S13 (hatchback) + LS1 swap, everything is pretty much planned out except for the frame, what exactly do you guys recommend I do/have done to keep my frame from getting bent out of shape? Going fast is fun and all but I certainly want to still be able to close my door! haha. Aiming for around 400 hp out of the LS1..
Read through here but didn't find to much info on that other than something needs to be done

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #360
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Your frame should be fine.
I don't know if anyone can say that without seeing the car. There are cars with frames so rusty that they're not safe for any motor.