Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-02-2002, 08:48 PM   #1
Natty
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Natty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What are the problems and benefits with all the short shifter available? If someone can answer this, it would be great to have it "immortalized" in the FAQ.
I have heard of some that break, some that pop out, some that spin, some that chatter, some that are more precise. I just want to know what I am getting because I am about ot have a shop do my tranny install in a couple weeks and I want to do it all at once.
Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
carkid0007
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
carkid0007 can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I brought this thread back because I was searching for an answer to my problem and this suggested it....Got a Fidanza short shifter and when Im going down the interstate it will pop out of 5th gear like it was nothing....Did I install it wrong ?, or is it the Short shifter ??
carkid0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:07 AM   #3
makav3li
Leaky Injector

makav3li is an unknown quantity at this point
could be one of the holders under the boot. i remember i had a problem like this in my old 240. it use to pop out of 3rd and 5th. thought my tranny was messing up or something, but it turns out one of the rubber things under the boot was forcing it out. its like a cover over the trany
makav3li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:59 PM   #4
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
I've got a B&M shortshifter on my car. the Throws are alot shorter, im guessing close to 50% or so.

Now i've been talkin with my buddies, and about how they work. On paper, it would seem bad to get a shortshifter, being as it shortens shift time, it also doesn't give the syncros enough time to fully initiate and lock. Maybe in the long run, you'll fuck up your tranny and need to get it rebuilt.

But i love the short throws. Precise, short, and quick response.
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:14 PM   #5
ultraDorksGarage
Zilvia Member

ultraDorksGarage has a spectacular aura aboutultraDorksGarage has a spectacular aura aboutultraDorksGarage has a spectacular aura aboutultraDorksGarage has a spectacular aura aboutultraDorksGarage has a spectacular aura aboutultraDorksGarage has a spectacular aura about
little off topic, but i broke my pilot SShifter in half couple weeks ago. the design is actually 2 piece, i just ended up running a rolled pin through it so it could still cushion shifts, but not fall off or spin on me. quite fun trying to flick it into 3rd at rpm and shifter doesnt get past synchro. ><
ultraDorksGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
Quote:
Originally Posted by sochbat
I've got a B&M shortshifter on my car. the Throws are alot shorter, im guessing close to 50% or so.

Now i've been talkin with my buddies, and about how they work. On paper, it would seem bad to get a shortshifter, being as it shortens shift time, it also doesn't give the syncros enough time to fully initiate and lock. Maybe in the long run, you'll fuck up your tranny and need to get it rebuilt.

But i love the short throws. Precise, short, and quick response.
As long at you're not grinding it's not hurting anything. If anything it would decrease the amount of wear because if you're shifting faster the blocking rings are seeing less work. Also the leverage is lessened by short shifters making the pressure on the syncro lower than the stock shifter.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
Man, gotta love that Sig
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote