Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-13-2002, 01:32 AM   #1
nicknel502

Trader Rating: (0)
nicknel502 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how do i install an obx short throw shifter
it seems to long
nicknel502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2002, 09:06 AM   #2
yenpit
Zilvia Addict

yenpit is an unknown quantity at this point
just did mine....i'll try to condense it!

-remove 4 screws around inner dust boot assy, cut small tiewrap, pull boot up & off shifter.
-remove 2 tiewraps around inner grease boot & remove.
-look down into cup where shifter pivots.....u'll see 2 large spring clips. pry the top one out starting at the split & work it around.....it'll pop out. IIRC the second c-clip will easily come out. lift shifter up & out.
-do NOT install rubber grease boot on shifter yet!! it goes on last.
-reach into cup and pull out the lower half of plastic pivot insert. BE CAREFUL HERE.....right below this insert is a very thin wavey spring washer that MAY fall down into the trans case!!
-BEFORE YOU PUT ANY OF THE NEW PCS IN PLACE TEST FIT THE SHIFTER. at the bottom end of the shifter is a small plastic bushing that rotates on the shifter ball. my bushing was a "hair" to big.....it did not want to fit into the inner shift shaft cup (look deep down into trans case to see this). i held the bushing steady from spinning and sanded lightly around it until it fit. sand & fit. sand & fit. etc. DONT SAND IT DOWN TOO SMALL AS IT WILL CAUSE A WOBBLY SHIFTER!
-next, with wavey spring washer back in place, put in the alum collar. it is simply a spacer, and fits loosely on top of spring washer. replace the lower half plastic pivot insert (it now sits higher than b4 cuz of spacer collar).
-at this point GREASE the lower pivot bushing on shifter, the lower half plastic pivot, and the large pivot ball on shifter including the captive upper half plastic pivot that is permanently collared around shifter.
-insert shifter assy making sure the lower pivot bushing goes in the shift shaft cup STRAIGHT. it will pop down and the large shifter ball will seat into the plastic pivot cup. put large square alum collar down over shifter with larger flange UP. you'll see how the captive upper plastic collar on shifter fits up in bottom of this collar. the collar will seat on top of trans case extension (if you hold it down tightly, you can now move the shifter a little).
-take the 2 half-moon shaped brackets with captive nuts at each end, and place them on each side of trans case extension with the nuts down. these brackets slip into the groove (where the original grease boot snapped into place) and the captive nuts line up with the 4 holes in the large square alum collar. use the 4 allenhead screws to attach (BE SURE BRACKETS ARE LINED UP WITH GROOVE!). tighten down 4 screws evenly. shifter should work now.
-use silicon spray (or small amount of grease) on INSIDE of new rubber grease boot. pull it down over the shifter.......pull down HARD. it will stretch (like a woman havin a baby! :o ) and slip down onto lower half of shifter. stretch over flange and tiewrap top & bottom.
-DONE! shift away! :biggrin:

i hope i didnt miss any details here, but please post back or email me if any ?? have fun!  
yenpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 09:18 AM   #3
AceInHole
Autox Technician

AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
It shows exactly how with the install diagrams on the 240sx.org installs page.  
AceInHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 09:38 AM   #4
yenpit
Zilvia Addict

yenpit is an unknown quantity at this point
awwww, ace......why didnt ya tell me that b4!??! my fingers hurt! :biggrin: :biggrin:
yenpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 10:12 AM   #5
drifterx
Premium Member

drifterx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to drifterx Send a message via AIM to drifterx
good directions and it is in the pilot install on 240sx.org
drifterx is offline   Reply With Quote