Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Aftermarket & custom coilover springs

Good day gentlemen,
Can anyone recommend me companies that offer aftermarket coilover springs in various sizes and rates, or make custom ones?

Here is the list I have so far:
Swift
Hyperco
H&R
Tanabe PRO210
Tein
Blue Coil

And here is a convenient converter for the spring rates, since various brands rate their springs in various units:
Spring Rate Converter

What I am looking for specifically is 60mm ID, 165-170mm length, and 8kgf/mm rate, and possibly also another pair in 10kgf/mm rate.

Swift offers 60mm ID springs but will not make a custom length. I am awaiting reply from Hyperco. Want to contact H&R but they do not list an email address on their website and I dislike describing things over the phone. Also awaiting reply from Blue Coil. Tanabe PRO210 were made in both the sizes and rates I want, but are discontinued and seem to be sold out everywhere.

Are there others to be looked into? It does not matter if they are a popular brand name or a small shop.
Thank you for any input.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Swift Metric Coilover Main Springs 60mm (2.36") ID 6" Length Each

.5 inch less than what you're looking for...
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
Matej
Post Whore!

Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Wish Swift would offer half-inch lengths (and ideally nice round centimeter lengths), not only full inch, because their springs are the coolest for sure.

Hyperco just replied stating that custom springs are no problem, but they will not be able to give me a quote until next week, because they are doing track testing or some such race car stuff right now.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
lflkajfj12123

lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
May I ask sir, why do you need a 6.5 inch spring?

I would be trying to acquire the shortest spring I can and if it ends up too low raise it on the coilover adjustment.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
Matej
Post Whore!

Because having to thread the other collars back on and adjusting both sides to be equal again is too great of an annoyance.
Although I will have no choice but to resort to that if my spring search proves fruitless.

Is Swift supposed to be the the best? Because if I do end up having to labour so, I may at least do it for quality product.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
2iv0 sx
Zilvia FREAK!

2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute
I'm looking into buying shorter coilover springs also, lets say.. Swift

My question is, how would I find the right size spring to fit my coilovers? (what are they measuring?)
2iv0 sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
lflkajfj12123

Swift is the best in my opinion. If I were you and had a silly idea like this one, I would buy the 7" ones and cut them. It won't affect their performance or whatever because the spring rates are linear.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
matts13vert
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (31)
matts13vert is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2iv0 sx View Post

My question is, how would I find the right size spring to fit my coilovers? (what are they measuring?)
i.d. of your current springs need to be the same as the new ones.
matts13vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
essforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
why does everyone forget Eibach! They make many coil-over springs
essforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
Karlitos
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
Karlitos is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Yep its all about eibach and ground control.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #11
Matej
Post Whore!

Quote:

Depends on the brand and model of your coilovers. Do the springs have any markings on them? Chances are they will take the 65mm. It is no big deal to run springs with a slightly larger inner diameter. But if they can take 60mm I would say go for it, because snug is nice. The best thing to do would be to measure the 'inner-outer' diameter of the spring seat perches.

For example, my Megan coilovers came with 62mm ID springs stock. I am currently running Stance springs in them which are either 2.5" or 65mm ID, I forget which (2.5" and 65mm may actually be the same size in coilover spring world). Even Megan says to get the 65mm springs if upgrading to Swift, but I just found out that my coilovers can actually fit 60mm springs, so I am going with that because I would much rather have them snug.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #12
2iv0 sx
Zilvia FREAK!

2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts13vert View Post
i.d. of your current springs need to be the same as the new ones.
So the ID would be the diameter of the spring pretty much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Depends on the brand and model of your coilovers. Do the springs have any markings on them? Chances are they will take the 65mm. It is no big deal to run springs with a slightly larger inner diameter. But if they can take 60mm I would say go for it, because snug is nice. The best thing to do would be to measure the 'inner-outer' diameter of the spring seat perches.

For example, my Megan coilovers came with 62mm ID springs stock. I am currently running Stance springs in them which are either 2.5" or 65mm ID, I forget which (2.5" and 65mm may actually be the same size in coilover spring ID world). Even Megan says to get the 65mm springs if upgrading to Swift, but I just found out that my coilovers can actually fit 60mm springs, so I am going with that because I would much rather have them snug.
Got'cha... I'll have to take apart my coils and get measuring then

Thanks for this thread I've been wondering about this for awhile now
Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
homeslicej2
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
homeslicej2 is making a name for him/her selfhomeslicej2 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Whether the springs have a linear rate or not, you should never cut them (or heat them up). Reducing the number of coils in the spring will affect it's performance and can affect rate. Also, if you've ever looked at springs (coilover springs or regular ones designed for struts/shocks) they are flattened at the end of the last coil on the top and bottom so that they seat properly. If you cut this off, you then have to mod the spring to flatten it so it'll function properly within the coilover/strut, which could also affect it's rate. Matej, don't forget that once you install the springs, even if they are the exact length you want, they will probably settle a bit over the first few hundred miles. This means you will have to adjust the ride height a bit anyway. I would go with the closest length Swift springs, set it to ride height and align, drive for 1-2 thousand miles and then re-adjust and align it.
homeslicej2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #14
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
Irresistible is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
So the ID would be the diameter of the spring pretty much?

Got'cha... I'll have to take apart my coils and get measuring then

Thanks for this thread I've been wondering about this for awhile now
ID is the inner diameter.... so yes.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
Matej
Post Whore!

P.S.
Are the the 60mm Swift springs the blue ones and the 65mm the orange? Not that it matters, just curious if that is how they are distinguished.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #16
2iv0 sx
Zilvia FREAK!

60mm=blue
65mm=orange
70mm=green
Old 05-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #17
icedsole
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
icedsole is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
swift makes a 6" spring. thats plenty short, swift springs are awesome. buy some

Swift coilover springs - SPL PARTS

cawp from spl just over 300 to get your car hooked up and sittin pretty

they also sell sweet little rings that help the spring not bind as bad
Old 05-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #18
Matej
Post Whore!

These gentlemen definitely have the most convincing website.
Coil Springs,high quality coiled suspension springs from coil springs

Quote:
In 2008 you cruising Hot Hatch needs serious Slamming, but correct rates to cope with heavy Sub-Woofers and speed bumps - We are the answer.
25 / 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 / mm or LOWER - WE CAN HELP YOU - NO PROBLEM
* If your Beemer 3 - Series has 500 kg of ice in the back and you still want a 60mm chop - We is the Main Man!

* If your Corsa rolls like a jelly when your doing donuts in Tesco’s car park - steal a mobile and phone us first
Quote:
So your Chelsea Tractor is fine on the school run, but soggy through the mud on your Oxfordshire weekend retreat, No sweat. We have the largest selection of proven designs available for everything with 4-wheel drive from posing with a lowered Suzuki Jeep down the Kings Road, to dune hopping in a Range Rover Vogue in the Sahara.
* Want your Defender 90 4" higher for crushing mountain bikers - No Problem
* Want to put a 6.2 diesel engine and winch in your Range-Rover and still have 15” ground clearance? - We’ve got the spring
* Want to smuggle diesel into GB in the back of your Discovery? We’ve got the Springs
* Want to tow a field gun with a 110 L/Rover with 6 fully laden troops? -We’ve got the springs.
* Want to rustle 6 sheep in the back of your 4-Trak? - We’ve got the springs
* Want to go hawking in the desert with 6 sheiks in a Land-Cruiser? - We’ve got the springs.
* Want to radically lower your Freelander down to crumpet pulling level? - sorry we’re good, but not that good.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #19
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I see a RBR car on the front page.

Reason enough. haha. Their marketing works.