Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
estanislao
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
estanislao is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
triple projectors illegal????

so last night i was cruising down a road, i saw a cop (checking for speed speed limit was 45 i was doing around 43) so i thought i was ok all of a sudden i see the lights in my rear view mirror i got stop. he asked for my paper work ect. and told me that i had been stop for my lights that they were illegal here in cali. i forgot to mention he didnt even care about my exhaust and that thing is pretty loud specially since its an n/a. has anyone here been stopped for this?

estanislao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Did he give a ticket for them??
Edwin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
lights are probably the typical glare-aimed-at-traffic-jdm-special kids love to 'upgrade' their piles with
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Your car probably looks like a POS, that's why he pulled you over. And then he wanted to badger you about something so he picked the lights. And Technically they are RHD pattern and not suited for US roads. They illuminate further in the left lane (oncoming traffic) than in your lane, so the beam could have been directly in his face.
silviaks2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
landins13
Zilvia Addict

landins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choices
if you have some bs aftermarket HID's in them then he had every right to pull you over for them. if youre still running the correct halogen bulbs i dont see why it would be an issue.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
There's a reason the 240SX coupe has popups. The S13 Silvia headlights did not comply to US standards, thus illegal.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
estanislao
Zilvia Member

no the cop was just been a dick good thing he didnt ticket me for modified exhaust
Old 06-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
95zenki man
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
95zenki man is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have never had a problem with cops saying anything about my trips or bricks... Its always "oh this cars to loud" or " sittin a little to low there arnt ya?"

Its not illegal to have them and never has been. Hell just say its the stock lights and pull up a silvia on google or some bullshit.

Or put the popups back on and stop bitching. Cops love moded cars, dont wonna deal with them? Dont put flashy shit and loud exhausts on your car.
95zenki man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
estanislao
Zilvia Member

lol yeah i thought he was gonna tell me that i was loud but didnt even mention. andddd im not bitching about it im totally fine with it. it seems like he knew cus i did try to play it out as the car being like that stock but he was like no they are after market. so..... i blamed it on the previous owner. lol
Old 06-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
raz0rbladez909
Nissanaholic!

raz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
There's a reason the 240SX coupe has popups. The S13 Silvia headlights did not comply to US standards, thus illegal.
BINGO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estanislao View Post
lol yeah i thought he was gonna tell me that i was loud but didnt even mention. andddd im not bitching about it im totally fine with it. it seems like he knew cus i did try to play it out as the car being like that stock but he was like no they are after market. so..... i blamed it on the previous owner. lol
If an officer knows his shit you're typically not going to bs your way out of it. Even moreso if you're running HID's in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeBHR View Post
How do people still not know that there are so many assholes here? If they joined before 05-06, They are gonna be an asshole. Almost guaranteed.
raz0rbladez909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
Your car probably looks like a POS, that's why he pulled you over. And then he wanted to badger you about something so he picked the lights. And Technically they are RHD pattern and not suited for US roads. They illuminate further in the left lane (oncoming traffic) than in your lane, so the beam could have been directly in his face.
^^^THis!!! Or it could be they look like APC headlights, they sure push the same amount of light...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
ghost_silvia
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
ghost_silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Retro fit them with usdm tsx projectors to correct the angle of the projectors .
ghost_silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #13
blacksmith
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
blacksmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good time to upgrade to some bricks!
Old 06-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
Good time to upgrade to some bricks!
Umm...no...bricks sucks just as bad for light output.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #15
estanislao
Zilvia Member

i was actually thinking about that upgrade... anyone up for the trade my triples for you bricks cash on my end
Old 06-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #16
blacksmith
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
blacksmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Umm...no...bricks sucks just as bad for light output.
At least they look more low key than triple beams. Cop wouldn't look twice at bricks.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by estanislao View Post
no the cop was just been a dick good thing he didnt ticket me for modified exhaust
the cop was indeed being a dick

and rightfully so. glad to see that cops arent totally clueless when it comes to lighting.

UNLESS of course, you actually did something to improve them - but chances are, you... like the rest of 240sx owners, didnt do shit to remedy the RHD beam pattern issue.

good job, toolbox
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #18
Perfect Balance
Zilvia Junkie

Perfect Balance is an unknown quantity at this point
Even with the light pattern fixed, they are still illegal simply because they don't have any kind of certification required to be legal in the US. All those markings in the housings mean something...
Perfect Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #19
Wookie384
Zilvia Addict

Wookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Wookie384
Maybe the fact that you have a Silvia front was the reason why he pulled you over? Maybe he knows Silvia headlights are not DOT approved (therefore considered illegal in all 50 states of the U.S.A.).
Wookie384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #20
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
[insert comment about being illegal...or something]
Old 06-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #21
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Balance View Post
Even with the light pattern fixed, they are still illegal simply because they don't have any kind of certification required to be legal in the US. All those markings in the housings mean something...
in states that require inspection, sure. for that very same reason, the 96-98 180SX tail lights are not compliant either as they do not have the proper US markings... BUT, at the end of the day - its not about whats technically compliant as it its more about whats WRONG. the silvia headlights 100% have the wrong beam pattern. correct the beam pattern issue and cops can pretty much go pound sand, as they are not lighting experts and cannot issue citations for things that are beyond their expertise. go to court and the officer will lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie384 View Post
Maybe the fact that you have a Silvia front was the reason why he pulled you over? Maybe he knows Silvia headlights are not DOT approved (therefore considered illegal in all 50 states of the U.S.A.).
theres no such thing as DOT approved, its called DOT compliant. the lighting manufacture would need to prove that the lights are compliant, not the consumer. all the consumer needs are lights with the proper markings
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #22
Wookie384
Zilvia Addict

Wookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Wookie384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
in states that require inspection, sure. for that very same reason, the 96-98 180SX tail lights are not compliant either as they do not have the proper US markings... BUT, at the end of the day - its not about whats technically compliant as it its more about whats WRONG. the silvia headlights 100% have the wrong beam pattern. correct the beam pattern issue and cops can pretty much go pound sand, as they are not lighting experts and cannot issue citations for things that are beyond their expertise. go to court and the officer will lose.

theres no such thing as DOT approved, its called DOT compliant. the lighting manufacture would need to prove that the lights are compliant, not the consumer. all the consumer needs are lights with the proper markings
DOT approved, DOT compliant, same shit. Nitpick all you want, you know what my point is, either way headlights have to meet DOT's standards to be approved/compliant. Silvia headlights don't so they are not. It's like arguing how to pronounce tomato at this point. lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Wookie384; 06-07-2012 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Grammar.
Wookie384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #23
joeboo1
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
joeboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I was told a long time ago that the silvia front end for the s13 was a factory option in the states but it was really expensive and that very few people got them.......anyone know if this true or was the person that told me that was talking out of his ass
joeboo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #24
typhoonslippery
Zilvia Addict

typhoonslippery will become famous soon enoughtyphoonslippery will become famous soon enoughtyphoonslippery will become famous soon enoughtyphoonslippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboo1 View Post
I was told a long time ago that the silvia front end for the s13 was a factory option in the states but it was really expensive and that very few people got them.......anyone know if this true or was the person that told me that was talking out of his ass
you both now seem to be talking out your ass
Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #25
imnatelol
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
imnatelol is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The state of California is hurting, they'll do anything fo a dolla
imnatelol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #26
estanislao
Zilvia Member

comment above me is true cali is broke
Old 06-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #27
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Let's simplify. Does it have DOT approval?
No.
Therefore, it is illegal and the officer has the right to cite you. Not because he is being a dick, but because you broke a law. (yes it's minor, but whutev). The majority of "aftermarket" automotive lighting does not have DOT approval and is technically illegal, and Johnny law usually turns a blind eye, but that doesn't mean he is wrong in singling you out for this.

Silvia front end has NEVER been sold as a dealer option in the US; if I'm wrong, I dare someone to show me a NISSAN brochure from the US advertising it's availability.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #28
joeboo1
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
joeboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoonslippery View Post
you both now seem to be talking out your ass
Really fuck-tard??!! seams like its that time of the month for you.

It was just a question.......a simple "not true" would have been just fine......cum bubble
joeboo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #29
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
yep. i think they failed for being too low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #30
delado
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
delado is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I daily drove this girl for quite a while. Never had problems with the cops. However, I could be wrong.

As some mentioned above, it could be that your car is put together half-assed and that's what arose the cop's attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
That's because everyone with a zenki feels sorry for themselves and they find commonality in the fact that there's no hope for making them look remotely good.
delado is offline   Reply With Quote