Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
darkside95

Trader Rating: (0)
darkside95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR help pls, alternator upgrade issues

Recently upgraded my alternator to a 96 mercury villager 110amp. This is going on a sr20det. My problem is the battery and brake light come on and stay on. everything looks good as far as alt output, try to see if this has happened to anyone else and a fixing for it
darkside95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Why didn't you just do the CodyAce quest alternator that's a bolt on affair...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
darkside95

Its basically the same thing, quest and mercury alternator. just the battery and brake like stay on not sure why?
Old 01-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Sounds like you have a junk alternator more than anything.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
HPKMotorsports3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
HPKMotorsports3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Have it tested.
HPKMotorsports3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
darkside95

That was my same thought, brand new alternator well reman, had it tested and its fine. doesn't make since with the sr20 alternator it worked fine before it gave out. put the upgrade in and now the battery light stays on
Old 01-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
If the alternator was tested good, you've got an issue with the 2 wire plug on the alternator itself (or the wiring)

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 01-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #8
darkside95

That's what I was thinking the issue could be. Do the two wires need to be flipped or stay the original configuration? As it sits right now I have made no modification to the wiring.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #9
codyace
Post Whore!

They need to be on the same side, but certainly trace them to ensure there are no breaks. With the age of these cars, wire breaks and the sort are happening more and more.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #10
darkside95

ok trying to understand the same side you mentioned. There are two wires do they need to be attached together coming into the connector to where only one of the two pins is being used. if that's the case it would explain my issue,
Old 01-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #11
codyace
Post Whore!

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/240sx/1997/el.pdf

Start on page EL-30 and follow the break down diagram and troubleshooting to sort out why it's not working. That's for an S14 so the pinout to the ECU may be different (and will be) but its' the same general concept