Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
JRusty15
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
JRusty15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JRusty15
Help diagnosis no start issue

Hi everybody, just picked up a 91 240sx with the stock ka24de. When I bought the car, it started fine. Idle jumped a bit, but ran ok. Since the car was far away and the brakes weren't great, I wanted AAA to tow it home, so initially I pulled the ignitor fuse (top left fuse in the fuse box by the battery). Went to start the car and it started fine. So I put that back in, pulled the fuel pump fuse and then started the car and it died from lack of fuel. Had it towed home to find the battery was dead. Tried to jump it, but didn't start. So I replaced the battery and still it won't start. While trying to start it, it will seem like it's going to start for a second, then nothing. I smell lots of fuel in the engine bay and exhaust, so it seems to be flooding.

I didn't have much time to look at it, but going to work on it tomorrow and wanted to know where to start and get some ideas. I'm thinking maybe the plugs got fouled from too much fuel, in which case I have a new set. Also maybe when I pulled the ignitor fuse it got the distributor out of time? But then I thought it's mechanically driven, so probably not, right? Any way, I just wanted to see if I could get some points on where to start tomorrow so I can get it running quickly and on to fixing the brake issues. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
JRusty15
Leaky Injector

Also I should mention the car was more or less sitting for about 6-7 months. The previous owner started it now and then while trying to sell it, but didn't really drive it. Just thought that might be important.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
DJ-of-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Did you pull the ignitor and fuel pump fuse while the car is still running? You wanna short your car? I don't know why people do these bone-head electrical things, it may work, but you're chancing it anyway you can.

When your start, does it turn? Did you check if there's spark on the spark plugs? If you smell fuel, is it from engine bay or exhaust. If engine bay, check for leak in fuel lines/pump/injectors.

Seriously, no need to ask these sort of questions. The KA is nearly as basic as it can get as a car: AIR, FUEL, SPARK...done.

You need to explain what you mean by "When I bought the car, it started fine. Idle jumped a bit, but ran ok." I usually just say "engine runs consistently with no jumps on the timing. I didn't smell smoke or fuel in the back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post
its not "DRIFT" tax its a "IDIOT" tax Period!
DJ-of-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
JRusty15
Leaky Injector

Haha, no no no. I didn't pull any fuses while the car was running! Sorry for the lack of clarity. Here was step by step what I did before the car got towed.

1) Started the car, successfully for about 2 seconds.
2) Turned car off
3) Removed ignitor fuse
4) Started the car, successfully for about 2 seconds.
5) Turned the car off
6) Replaced ignitor fuse
7) Removed fuel pump fuse
8) Started the car. Ran for a few seconds, then died from lack of fuel.
9) Towed car home.
10) Replaced fuel pump fuse
11) Attempted to start car, battery was completely dead
12) Connected jumper cables to running car.
13) Attempted to start the car, does not start

The starter spins the motor fine. No issue there. Fuel is primarily smelled in the exhaust, but can smell it under the hood. Last visual inspection showed no leaks, but I will look harder tomorrow. I just don't understand what could have changed during this time to prevent it from starting. I keep thinking the plugs got fouled or something. Maybe a bad fuse that I haven't checked.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
JRusty15
Leaky Injector

Just an update, I pulled the plugs and they were all covered with fuel and possible oil? I've attached some pictures to show what they looked like. I replaced the plugs, cleaned the maf and airbox and it started right up. I have some other issues, but I will start a new thread about them, expect a link in a few minutes

Pics of the old plugs: