Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
Creamypies

Trader Rating: (0)
Creamypies is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA KA24det no woosh of air when spining crank

so I rebuilt my KA, havent posted here in a while but I need some tech help, so I rebuilt it, fired it up, set the timing to 20 originally or so I thought I set it to 20, once I get the timing light on the crank it was reading at 30 and my idle was high(like 1500rpm),

so then I pulled the dizzy to make the timing at 15 which is where It needed to be at to work with my rs enthalpy. found out that I couldn't set it not at 180 out, so I pulled my VC to make sure the motor was on the compression stroke and now when I spin the crank there is no compression noise (aka that loud woosh of air when you spin the crank with the spark plug out of cylinder 1) and for the life of me I cant figure out why. anyways help is always appreciated
Creamypies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Ummmm then you have no compression. Either your rings are not sealing or one/both valve(s) are hanging open.
Have you bothered using a compression tester or are you just guessing because you don't have a "whoosh" noise?

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
Creamypies

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Ummmm then you have no compression. Either your rings are not sealing or one/both valve(s) are hanging open.
Have you bothered using a compression tester or are you just guessing because you don't have a "whoosh" noise?
No I had compression before I pulled my VC, and I seriously doubt I have NO compression, I just rebuilt the motor for christ sakes haha, and it was working before I pulled my VC, I had a huge rush of air, could the rings have gotten worked like that ? / how would just removing the VC have done this? / I dont own a compression tester
Old 01-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
Juantwo3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
Juantwo3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:

msg lngth
Old 01-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
Creamypies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantwo3 View Post
msg lngth
it definitely isnt that I have NO compression
Old 01-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
But you have no woosh!!!!

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
Creamypies

Quote:
But you have no woosh!!!!
alright, so properly re installed the VC, got a little backfire with the timing set at 15, maybe I should bring it to 20 and try starting it ?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #8
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Idk if this is the same issue I had with my SR but it sounds similar. Freshly rebuilt motor, had maybe 5 miles and ~45 minutes of runtime on it when I installed my new (tomei pon)cams, new rocker arms and new oil squirters. I went ahead and threw everything back together, cranked the car and ... nothing. No "bwakakakaka" compression sound just a free spinning motor. Scared that I fucked up real bad and didn't tighten a cam bolt I pulled the vc back off and checked again. Everything checked out so I cranked the car with the vc off and still nothing. Got out and turned the motor over slowly by hand and it felt like it had compression once again. Got back in and cranked it and voila, compression. Re-assembled it once more and it fired right up...

This story probably doesn't help you at all but yeah.. good luck lol.