Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Zbythegods
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Zbythegods is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Brainstorming on the clunk from by diff

Hey fellow Zilvians again,

I have a 95 s14 witha redtop sr20. I have what I believe to either be an open diff or possible a 1.5way. Not entirely sure, I bought the car with it. If anyone could tell me what to look for I could find out and post it. Months ago I noticed when I go a little hard around turns it would pop and clunk which from my understanding is normal for a LSD or equivilent. Now I'm noticing a slight knock from the diff between 70-80 mph as well as pretty serious popping when I turn from a complete stop. So basically unless I clutch super slow and not give it gas turning, it will pop a lot. Does anyone think I just may need to change the gear oil or is this diff a possible goner? Any help would be awesome guys. I can post pics if needed.

Last edited by Zbythegods; 01-22-2014 at 05:55 PM..
Zbythegods is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
240boi115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
best thing to do is to pop her open and see whats going on down there. if its serious be happy you caught it in time.. a diff that basically locks up/jams is scary as hell going even 40 mph
my 240 broke down..again
240boi115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
Fuego
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240boi115 View Post
best thing to do is to pop her open and see whats going on down there. if its serious be happy you caught it in time.. a diff that basically locks up/jams is scary as hell going even 40 mph
+1 on this.

Some diffs like to clunk at low speed, tight turns but knocking at highway speed aint right. Check out what's going on in there.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:24 AM   #4
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Did you check your subframe bushings? Clunk could be that. If its good, and its the diff, lash could be off.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
Zbythegods
Zilvia Member

Hmmmm. Listen guys I really do appreciate that. I'm going to check the subrame bushings first. I hope to the gods it is that but knowing my luck it might not be. What I noticed is it does get worse if I hit a bump on the highway...might be the bushings after all. I just hope I can hold the fort down until this weekend lol.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
Zbythegods
Zilvia Member

It is kind of sketchy though. I was getting off the exit ramp today taking a right bank at around 70 and the wheel locked up for a split second. Scary shit lol.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #7
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Kinda doubt that it could be the subframe bushings if it's clunking at speed.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Mikester is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well, the one thing that I haven't seen is anything you happened to notice when you GOT UNDER THERE AND LOOKED AT EVERYTHING BEFORE STARTING A THREAd! But seriously, if you have the sound isolated down to the diff area; the problem could very well be obvious... Just sayin'

Check the nuts/bolts holding your axles to the diff... and the DS nuts/bolts... as well as the other mounting points & the bushings. Could just be some slop due to loose/missing hardware... Also verify the axle nuts are securely fastened thru the rear hubs...

Might be a little easier to help if you can tell us for sure what the problem is NOT... Yano?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #9
Zbythegods
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
Well, the one thing that I haven't seen is anything you happened to notice when you GOT UNDER THERE AND LOOKED AT EVERYTHING BEFORE STARTING A THREAd! But seriously, if you have the sound isolated down to the diff area; the problem could very well be obvious... Just sayin'

Check the nuts/bolts holding your axles to the diff... and the DS nuts/bolts... as well as the other mounting points & the bushings. Could just be some slop due to loose/missing hardware... Also verify the axle nuts are securely fastened thru the rear hubs...

Might be a little easier to help if you can tell us for sure what the problem is NOT... Yano?
Yeah you are right Mike, I apologize for not inspecting it first. It started happening on Monday during my work week and I work 7am-midnight during the week. I was hoping to get a few suggestions so I can take it on this weekend and make sure I still have a car to take to work on Monday lol. I definitely appreciate you guys being helpful for sure. I will update the post with what the issue is this weekend if I find out what it is. I'm going to check all the factors you mentioned. Thanks again.