Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
Linux2501
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Linux2501 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
RB Rb20 Headgasket question

Alright so I am on my 2nd rb the motorset I just bought I am doing a basic rebuild on it, gaskets mainly. that and studs main and head. but anyway the motor passed a leakdown test and I am wanting to replace the 20+ year old head gasket since its not blown I am still sending the head to get resurfaced or would I even need to? and could I just get all of the gasket material off the block instead of having it decked? Its not a metal head gasket which I know from my prior ka builds you need both head and block machined so the hg will seal properly.

Anyway I am curious about that and I have used Copper spray on hgs before but never known anybody who has had any problems in the long run. and The gasket kit is not Ebaycrap. I actually got the nissan part number and bought it from the nissan stealership.
Linux2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
RB240Coupe
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (7)
RB240Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
You may not have to get anything resurfaced or decked, I would have the head cleaned and checked for true-ness as well as the block, if neither are warped or cracked you should be good. Im goin in a similar route with my rb20 nothing radical just wanting a solid engine. We tore the engine down and checked everything to be sure everything is with in spec. according to the FSM. While you have it tore down that far I would go ahead and get the crank collar upgrade as well and save some future oiling issues.
RB240Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote