Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #1
s14sliding
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
s14sliding is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cam Angle Sensor good or bad?

Ok so my situation right now is my s13 sr20det in my s14 is turning over but wont start. Its not getting spark to the plugs and injectors are not spitting fuel. I do have fuel pressure and fuel pump is turning on. Im trying to test my CAS to see if it went bad or not. My question is that when I spin my CAS by hand (still plugged into the harness) my fuel pump starts sending fuel to the rail as I continue to spin the CAS. Does this mean my CAS is working properly and that Im not getting spark for some other reason? Or could my CAS still be bad even though its telling the fuel pump to send fuel.

A friend said it could be that I don`t have an engine to chassis ground so I`ll be getting that by Monday. But I didn`t think a simple engine to chassis ground would cause no spark/injectors not spitting fuel.

Any advice/help is appreciated guys. Thanks.
s14sliding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
The CAS can still be faulty, and allow the pump to prime.

With that considered, did it run previously or did you get it in a non running condition?

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
s14sliding
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
The CAS can still be faulty, and allow the pump to prime.

With that considered, did it run previously or did you get it in a non running condition?

From what I was told the motor was in running condition when I purchased it. And it's the same CAS that was on it so I assume it was in working condition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
i have the problem of the car turning over and not starting too.

except.... mine started today. but... my friend touched the rad support, got shocked by the car, and i now have this problem.

i'm lost as to where to start.... the SAME dang day... the car starts and runs fine to just turning over.

jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:39 PM   #5
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14sliding View Post
From what I was told the motor was in running condition when I purchased it. And it's the same CAS that was on it so I assume it was in working condition.

You know what they say about Assuming.....

Trust me when I say If I had a dollar for 'perfect condition parts' that were fubar or wrong, I'd be driving a much nicer car.

Check the FSM on troubleshooting the CAS too.

All considered though, if the engine was running and now it's in a new chassis, and you don't have fuel or spark, I'd check the harness grounds behind the head first.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 03-22-2014, 11:47 PM   #6
s14sliding
Zilvia Member

Quote:
You know what they say about Assuming.....

Trust me when I say If I had a dollar for 'perfect condition parts' that were fubar or wrong, I'd be driving a much nicer car.

Check the FSM on troubleshooting the CAS too.

All considered though, if the engine was running and now it's in a new chassis, and you don't have fuel or spark, I'd check the harness grounds behind the head first.
well ive got the coil harness ground to the head and two other grounds in the same location on the back of the intake manifold (its a wiring specalties harness). dont have an engine to chassis ground though which I was told could be causing the problem as well.

And yea I thought spinning the CAS was only way to trouble shoot it guess ill look on fsm for diff ways.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:06 AM   #7
jamg
Nissanaholic!

my engine wouldn't even turn without the engine to chassis ground.

i made one, bolted it up to the intake mani, to the chassis, and it started.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:54 AM   #8
s14sliding
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamg View Post
my engine wouldn't even turn without the engine to chassis ground.

i made one, bolted it up to the intake mani, to the chassis, and it started.
I hope it's something that simple. I'm going to be getting one this week.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
codyace
Post Whore!

I'm willing to bet it is something as simple as a ground. Being you have a good W/S harness you can eliminate alot of troubleshooting that many need to do with crappy harnesses.

You would need to check voltages from the CAS to makes ure they are in spec too. Another quick/dirty way to test is to pop the cover off and give it a snif (yes, smell it)...if you smell burnt electronics, you can almost 95% of the time consider it toast

Old 03-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
s14sliding
Zilvia Member

Quote:
I'm willing to bet it is something as simple as a ground. Being you have a good W/S harness you can eliminate alot of troubleshooting that many need to do with crappy harnesses.

You would need to check voltages from the CAS to makes ure they are in spec too. Another quick/dirty way to test is to pop the cover off and give it a snif (yes, smell it)...if you smell burnt electronics, you can almost 95% of the time consider it toast
Ok so test the plug that is going into CAS or put the multimeter some where on the actual CAS while it's plugged up

Old 03-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #11
jamg
Nissanaholic!

check for flooded cylinders. since you kept on turning over, fuel is probably just sitting in there.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #12
s14sliding
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamg View Post
check for flooded cylinders. since you kept on turning over, fuel is probably just sitting in there.
injectors werent spitting fuel so no fuel sitting in there. no spark and or injectors throwing fuel into chamber. i`ll be doing more test this week when i have the time.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #13
OnTheChip
Zilvia Junkie

OnTheChip is an unknown quantity at this point
Cranking without a large gauge engine to chassis ground can fry lots of things.
OnTheChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #14
s14sliding
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheChip View Post
Cranking without a large gauge engine to chassis ground can fry lots of things.

I just got a 4 gauge engine ground going to be installing it this week when i have time. And hopefully i didnt fry anything.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:54 PM   #15
s14sliding
Zilvia Member

ok well what i did get around to was testing the actual harness plug to the cas. im getting a 5.1, 5.1, 11.7 and good continuity on the ground. so im guessing the harness is sending the proper voltage to the cas. right? but im Still not sure where to touch my multimeter probes on the CAS while its connected to harness to test to make sure its getting proper volatage while i spin cas by hand.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #16
s14sliding
Zilvia Member

I tested the CAS and while i spin it by hand the volts fluctuate between 5-0.1 volts. So that means the CAS is in good working order correct?