Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-04-2004, 07:22 AM   #1
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

Trader Rating: (0)
sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
KA Flywheel, who's is best?

So out of all the companies that make Lightweight flywheels, who makes the best one? Looking for opinions, and maybe why.

Companies that I know of:
Fidanza
SPEC
Clutchmaster
Unorthodox

If you know of any others, just add them.

Any pros - cons of any is great too.
sykikchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2004, 08:06 AM   #2
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Jeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond repute
I like Fidanza. Affordable-ish, light as hell, nearly 50% lighter, and has that replaceable friction surface. That's a rarity when I was researching. It's $100 to replace which is a con, but a pro is that after 2 or 3 clutch swaps you don't need to buy a new flywheel.
-Jeff
Old 10-04-2004, 08:26 AM   #3
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I'm running the Stillen (Meuller) flywheel. A little more expensive, same features as the Fidanza. It was the only one available when I bought it. I've resurfaced it once, no problems whatsoever.
I've seen three people have to redrill the pressure plate to line up the pins properly on the Fidanza, though for the savings that's not too bad a tradeoff.
The Unorthodox is nearly twice the money and doesn't offer any benefits, so figure on it being a waste of money.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:58 AM   #4
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Maeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura about
Ive been told RPS makes an invincible flywheel.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:33 PM   #5
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

RBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura about
Add Aasco to that list. It's 11lbs and It's great build quality. I've never owned any other lightweight flywheel, so I can't compair. The guy who installed it for me said it was the nicest aftermarket flywheel he'd seen, but I'm not sure how many he's seen. who knows. I will say however, that it didn't do what I thought it would. revs up and down are a little bit faster, but not a whole lot. It grows on you too. i first got it on and wasn't impressed at all. then I started to like it more, and now I'm glad I have it. However, I was prolly expecting way more from it than I should have.

It's got a removable ring gear and friction surface too.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:47 PM   #6
allmotorKA
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
allmotorKA is just really niceallmotorKA is just really niceallmotorKA is just really niceallmotorKA is just really niceallmotorKA is just really niceallmotorKA is just really niceallmotorKA is just really niceallmotorKA is just really niceallmotorKA is just really niceallmotorKA is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Don't forget about the lightweight chromoly ones from Jun. I think they are like 11 lb.
allmotorKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 04:21 PM   #7
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

RBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura about
OT but....

AllmotorKA you have a PM from me.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:46 AM   #8
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Jun makes flywheels for KA's??

It also appears that a company called "Indigospeed" makes flywheels for the KA as well.

So that makes:
Fidanza
JWT
Stillen (same as JWT?)
Clutchmasters
SPEC
Unorthodox
JUN
Indigospeed
Aasco
And possibly RPS soon

wow.. a lot of choices..

Interesting info on the Fidanza Russ, do you know what kind of PP they were using?

Also, I've heard that some lightweight flywheels make a grinding noise when starting, is that true?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:54 AM   #9
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
The JUN is chromoly, Dennis has it on his car and it makes a noise when starting, sounds kind of cool to be honest, it's just the resonance of the steel. Aluminum flywheels are dead quiet. Mine has been in the car for nearly six years with no noise whatsoever.

The Fidanza issues were with an ACT street clutch, a Centerforce DF, and IIRC a OE replacement. Technically you can remove the pins altogether and not redrill the PP, but either method works.

Indigospeed is more than likely a repackaged unit from someone else, name sounds too cheesy to be a name brand.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 10-05-2004, 08:03 PM   #10
phrozen
Zilvia FREAK!

phrozen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to phrozen
ppl have modified the jun one to work on the ka i believe

Please do not put your sig pic back if it exceeds this.
-Moderation
phrozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:19 PM   #11
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
Quote:
Originally Posted by R240NA
The Fidanza issues were with an ACT street clutch, a Centerforce DF, and IIRC a OE replacement. Technically you can remove the pins altogether and not redrill the PP, but either method works.
hmm interesting info... i was planning to get a fidanza and oem clutch/pressure plate/etc... but i really don't want to go through that kind of hassle (esp since i need to have it done quickly and i've never done it before)
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:23 PM   #12
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen
ppl have modified the jun one to work on the ka i believe
No, JUN makes one for the KA specifically. Modifying an 8bolt flywheel to work on a 6bolt crank would be pointless and stupid. There's not enough material to drill out there.

azn- It's not a big deal to drill the pressure plate, and it's not a gaurantee that you'll have to either. Try it and see. The hole usually is just a little off and easily drilled out.

Old 10-05-2004, 08:37 PM   #13
HaLo
from Canada, eh!

HaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfection
Send a message via ICQ to HaLo Send a message via AIM to HaLo Send a message via MSN to HaLo
I would not run a Fidanza flywheel after what happened to mine. Get a chromoly, feel safer.
SOLD: 01 GPW Honda S2000
PARTED: 93 Pearl White 240SX LE Fastback w/SR20DET
SOLD: 93 Super White 240SX SE Convertible w/Silvia Front
HaLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:41 PM   #14
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
what happened to your fidanza flywheel halo?

Ive had a fidanza on my s13 for a while now, and I plan on transferring it to my s14 in the next couple months or so, I have never had any trouble with it, and my OEM clutch fit fine on it with no drilling.
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:23 PM   #15
HaLo
from Canada, eh!

HaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfection
Send a message via ICQ to HaLo Send a message via AIM to HaLo Send a message via MSN to HaLo
mine loosened out... take the clutch disk and almost my pressure plate with it...

broken 4 flywheel bolts.

Aluminium is too soft of a material for this use imho.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:32 PM   #16
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
Why does everything you work on blow up? *hides* j/k

I'm assuming the JUN one is a solid chunk of chromoly that you can resurface right?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:53 PM   #17
HaLo
from Canada, eh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandyflip445
Why does everything you work on blow up? *hides* j/k
I have been the most unlucky guy this summer... so many things blew up.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:08 PM   #18
SilviaSativa
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
SilviaSativa is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Did you use threadlock on flywheel bolts?

I didn't and I'm running a jalanky flywheel lightened 1lb done by a weak shop after asking about pricing to lighten a few lbs. I don't think I trust the quality of their resurfacing job either
Old 10-06-2004, 12:11 AM   #19
CATCHMYDRIFT

CATCHMYDRIFT is an unknown quantity at this point
Question price

whats are some of the prices on these flywheels, at least tell us what you paid.

p.s. where can i get a nice ecu and aggressive cam
CATCHMYDRIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 04:32 AM   #20
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCHMYDRIFT
whats are some of the prices on these flywheels, at least tell us what you paid.

p.s. where can i get a nice ecu and aggressive cam

www.google.com. Lazy ass.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:31 AM   #21
TurboB15sentra
Zilvia Member

TurboB15sentra is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TurboB15sentra
I like JWT's flywheel.. What nice, is that it's machined to accept a larger diameter Z32 clutch/pressure plate.. meaning you can run a less agressive clutch, and hold a lot more power.

Travis
Old 10-06-2004, 09:17 AM   #22
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

good info on JWT's.

Russ, I'm pretty sure indigo isn't just repackaged. Their flywheels are all anodized and look quite a bit different.

Jun's flywheel can be resurfaced once, maybe twice from what I've read. I'm seriously considering that one since it is a stronger material. I personally am most interested in highest quality and safety over price. If price was my key factor, I would have already bought the Fidanza.

Also this is what RPS said when I asked about a possible flywheel:
Quote:
We would like to, but the fact of the matter is we will try to make more application next year.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:38 AM   #23
HaLo
from Canada, eh!

Go with Jun...

Safe, light and very strong.

That's what I wanted for my SR but it was backordered for a few months.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:16 PM   #24
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
halo... holy crap. did you use locktite on the flywheel? seriously reconsidering the fidanza now... O_O
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:24 PM   #25
HaLo
from Canada, eh!

The person that installed it did not.
But seeing the bolt threads in the flywheel does not convince me to get another aluminium flywheel.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:25 PM   #26
di.chet.di
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

di.chet.di is an unknown quantity at this point
Fidanza... top quality
di.chet.di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:40 AM   #27
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

I had the same problem with the Jun flywheel.

Only site I see with it is upgrademotoring and they say they have a shipment comming in two weeks, and it could be on there IF they have them in stock in JP.

I was looking at the flywheel on Stillen, and it looks different than JWT's. And they have 2 different ones. One is 11 lbs, and one is 12.5lbs. Any idea what the difference is?
Old 10-07-2004, 10:57 AM   #28
allmotorKA
Zilvia Member

allmotorKA is just really niceallmotorKA is just really niceallmotorKA is just really niceallmotorKA is just really niceallmotorKA is just really niceallmotorKA is just really niceallmotorKA is just really niceallmotorKA is just really niceallmotorKA is just really niceallmotorKA is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykikchimp
...I was looking at the flywheel on Stillen, and it looks different than JWT's. And they have 2 different ones. One is 11 lbs, and one is 12.5lbs. Any idea what the difference is?
The 12.5 lb one is made by Stillen. The 11 lb one is made by Aasco.
allmotorKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 04:30 PM   #29
kaje36
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
kaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kaje36
I personly love my jun, on my KAT its 10.5 lbs for there light and about 9.5 for there ultra light. have resurfaced mine, and I am also running a ACT street clutch/HDPP and I have had no problems. ya there is that little extra noise.. but its the normal starter noise.. just a little more matalic reverb sound. I beleave jun makes the lightest for the KA.. or at least I havent seen anything lighter... but I definitly wouldnt mind swaping over to the ultra light.. no driveability issues N/A or turbo with the light
kaje36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 05:41 PM   #30
Hikarispeed
Leaky Injector

Hikarispeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Hikarispeed Send a message via Yahoo to Hikarispeed
I just ordered my Jun light weight flywheel. Should come in next week, can't wait. "I'm a steel guy."
Hikarispeed is offline   Reply With Quote